Housemarque (@Housemarque) on X: Something Returnal related is happening tomorrow

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
You say it doesn't sound exciting yet the Spider-Man games are 3 of PlayStation's best selling games of all time.

I said the IPs you mentioned didn't sound exciting. Neither as a gamer, nor as a movie watcher.

The Insomniac Spider-Man games are amazing (no pun intended), but I love Spider-Man in general.

Yes and games like Arkham, Spider-Man, and Hogwarts Legacy show exactly what can be done with budget and talent.

Loved all 3, but budget and talent alone are not everything. Otherwise we all would be loving Suicide Squad, right?

Maybe you should have the humility to see that these games don't need to target you in order to be financially successful.

That's the difference between you and me, it seems. No, they don't need to target me, but I, as a consumer, put my interests before of thinking if it's financially successful and - as a consumer - have the right to be disappointed if the console ecosystem(s) I choose to be part of, stops releasing stuff I'm interested into. But maybe you work for Sony, so I can see why you put their interests before yours.

Any evidence of that happening with PlayStation?

Now? No, that's the point you and others seem to miss. Repercussions aren't immediate. But we have another major console manufacturer which went a similar way. I let you guess which one and how that turned out, I think that you should be able to guess right.

They gave the example of making sure they develop with PC in mind, that doesn't mean they're developing towards PC. I don't think you understand the difference or what a PC port even is. Like I've told you before, these games are already written on PC, they're only compiled against PlayStation and optimized for PlayStation hardware. When they create a PC port they're taking the same assets and programming and programming for different inputs and optimizing against different hardware.

You seem to lack tech knowledge, so I will avoid lecturing you. You are probably one of the people believing the "it's just some sliders" excuse.

The sentence:

Sharing our stories and experiences on PS5 as well as PC is something that Naughty Dog has embraced and will continue to support moving forward.

Should be enough to understand how PC development has become part of the development process.

You asked for proof, I provided. If you don't want or are not able to understand what's written, is not my fault.

I know someone who bought a used PS4 for their kid just last Christmas so that they could play Fortnite.

I know multiple people who bought PS4s because I, the fanboy hardcore gamer, told them they had the better exclusive games.

the idea that significant resources from first party teams are dedicated to PC ports is not in line with what is happening.

It's actually worse, as they are now dedicating significant resources DURING development to make the ports easier.

• fire
Reactions: xollowsob

mibu no ookami

21 Feb 2024
I said the IPs you mentioned didn't sound exciting. Neither as a gamer, nor as a movie watcher.

The Insomniac Spider-Man games are amazing (no pun intended), but I love Spider-Man in general.

Loved all 3, but budget and talent alone are not everything. Otherwise we all would be loving Suicide Squad, right?

That's the difference between you and me, it seems. No, they don't need to target me, but I, as a consumer, put my interests before of thinking if it's financially successful and - as a consumer - have the right to be disappointed if the console ecosystem(s) I choose to be part of, stops releasing stuff I'm interested into. But maybe you work for Sony, so I can see why you put their interests before yours.

Now? No, that's the point you and others seem to miss. Repercussions aren't immediate. But we have another major console manufacturer which went a similar way. I let you guess which one and how that turned out, I think that you should be able to guess right.

You seem to lack tech knowledge, so I will avoid lecturing you. You are probably one of the people believing the "it's just some sliders" excuse.

The sentence:

Should be enough to understand how PC development has become part of the development process.

You asked for proof, I provided. If you don't want or are not able to understand what's written, is not my fault.

I know multiple people who bought PS4s because I, the fanboy hardcore gamer, told them they had the better exclusive games.

It's actually worse, as they are now dedicating significant resources DURING development to make the ports easier.

Ultimately you've outed yourself here.

You're not criticizing Sony's business moves. You just don't agree with them because they don't align with what you want them to do as a fanboy.

And that's fine, but I think you should be clear about that when you're arguing.

I don't know for Sony, but from a business perspective, I can see why it makes the moves that they make.

Fanboys think they're special, but they weren't out there buying games like Last Guardian or Gravity Rush.

I won't take the rest of your arguments seriously because they clearly aren't in good faith.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Ultimately you've outed yourself here.

You're not criticizing Sony's business moves. You just don't agree with them because they don't align with what you want them to do as a fanboy.

And that's fine, but I think you should be clear about that when you're arguing.

I don't know for Sony, but from a business perspective, I can see why it makes the moves that they make.

Fanboys think they're special, but they weren't out there buying games like Last Guardian or Gravity Rush.

I won't take the rest of your arguments seriously because they clearly aren't in good faith.

You are a very good selective reader, I give you that. But not a smart one, it seems.

Let's just end it here, the conversation doesn't make any sense.

Oh, and by the way, I bought both the games you mentioned.

• fire
Reactions: xollowsob

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
Housemarque Announces Returnal Graphic Novel and Artbook For The Game's 3-Year Anniversary, Along with a Animation Adaption.

IGN Article: https://www.ign.com/articles/returnal-anniversary-housemarque-announces-graphic-novel-and-artbook

Housemarque has celebrated the third anniversary of Returnal with an announcement for a spin-off graphic novel titled 'Fallen Asteria'. It will be released on October 22, 2024, and is available to preorder now at Amazon for $19.99.

The listing description reads: "After Helios crashes onto a hostile alien world, Selene Vassos, a lone ASTRA scout must fight for her life against the horrific hostiles that live beyond every shadow and a trail of distorted memories. Can she hold on long enough to track down the White Shadow signal? Mystery shrouds the world of Atropos and Selene begins to wonder: will she find answers at the end of her journey, or is this nightmare inescapable?"

It's being created by the Housemarque brand team with assistance from Returnal's Narrative team, including Gregory Louden, Eevi Korhonen, and Khalil Osaimi, alongside the art of Igor Lomov and Aaron Järvinen.

There's also a new 'Art of Returnal' hardcover release that will be out on the same day, and is also up at Amazon. If you do preorder either of these, you'll be protected by Amazon's preorder price guarantee, so you'll pay the lowest price the listing hits between now and when it ships. Plus, you'll also not pay anything until the graphic novel is sent out to you. So, if you're worried about missing out if stock levels drop off, it's a fairly low risk to submit an order now and just cancel it later on if you change your mind.

Alongside the rest of the anniversary announcements, Housemarque has also created an animated adaptation for the upcoming Fallen Asteria graphic novel.

_ _ _ _ _

Personally I really like this announcement, it means that the studio will get an additional revenue stream, while also venturing into other forms of media.

I can see fans of the game buy the Art Book too.

I hope this is successful for them and we see other studios doing the same. Game-Wise as far as we know they are still working on the New Ip, which is still far from finished because they were still concepting it in 2022.

Fallen Asteria is a sick name.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I honestly think Returnal would have done a lot better without the rouguelike element's, its a fun game but i don't like starting over after each death.

The atmosphere and environmental story telling were top notch, i wanted more of that

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
I never bought the game because I already know it’s too difficult for me.