How would you bring back Sony arcade racer IPs?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I miss new Wipeout and Motorstorm, and back in the PS1 days loved the Rollcage games and Jet Moto (known as Jet Rider in Europe). Even if I wasn't a fan, there was Twisted Metal there too with a decent fanbase, which recently got a successful tv show adaptation.

So how would you bring them back?

As seen in a (very credible) leaked PS Plus slide, they don't seem to be very popular in the PS Plus Premium classiccs, so maybe a remastered collection or a new entry for one of these series wouldn't make a lot of sense.

But looking at Mario Kart or Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing there seems to be an arcade racing market there. And looking at Gran Turismo, there's also a place for racing GaaS & eSports.

These Mario & Sega do something that also works for Nintendo in other games like Smash: to merge the popularity of different IPs. So how about if we merge all arcade racing series in a single one and add guest content from some popular Sony IPs?

My game idea: a casual friendly arcade racing game that would mix most arcade racer Sony IPs plus other popular Sony ones that could fit, with good enough SP content (Mario Kart 8 and Wipeout Omega Collection for SP game modes as reference) and both casual and ranked MP content with online tournaments (MK8 + GT7 as references), that after launch would get new vehicles, teams / skins for vehicles, circuits and music tracks from different SIE series in different seasons and shared via battle pass (MK8/Smash as reference mixed with Fortnite).

The game would be set in a near future showing a slightly more modern version of some games acting as a sequel of them, while also acting as prequel for other ones. It would be at the same time:
  • Destiny (Sparrow Racing) prequel
  • Marathon (some type of racing they could have there) prequel
  • Wipeout prequel
  • Motorstorm sequel in a near future
  • Twisted Metal sequel in a near future
  • Jet Moto prequel
  • Rollcage prequel
  • Horizon prequel
  • Concord prequel?
There would be vehicles from these brands plus teams (vehicle skins/sticker) from these and other Sony (not only gaming) brands to customize your vehicle. There would be a pilot editor, which you could also customize using stuff from these and other Sony (not only gaming) brands.

The cups from the main SP mode would have a small cinematic at the start and at the end, each one would be themed on one of these Sony IPs listed above, conecting this game with the lore of these series. The circuits of that cup would also inspired by these IPs, while keeping a common not too futuristic realistic visual style.

When I say "other Sony brands" I mean stuff like Uncharted, Gran Turismo, Ghost of Tsushima, God of War or even some anime or movie that could fit, which would be added as part of the post launch cosmetics, and would be released often matching new games/movie or tv adaptations, or anniversary of the series.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’d reboot wipeout without weapons (and make it FZERO instead).

Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
They should do a good few.
New Wipeout 120fps, Twister Metal, MotorStorm.

Then also a kart racer like Mod Kart Racers with all PS characters

And for true arcade racer, a Ridge Racer.

While your at it do an open world racer with Gran Turismo like Forza Horizon

Reactions: kuzon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Why can't companies just be... Honest?

"Hey guys, our PS BC/Digital/Portable team (I'd use the PS Legacy branding, dunno what that actual team does for Sony since they formed it. Doesn't seem to be going round publishers and making BC deals.)... have been working on this old franchise. Here's Parappa's old games on BC, here's a new game, big big relaunch attempt. But fair warning if this doesn't sell, it's going in the vault and you'll just have the games we brought forward on BC and this relaunch attempt, not future sequels. Parappa will exist as only merchandising plushies in future unless we outsource the IP to someone and oversee them, with a 2nd Party studios branding PSX (PS Studios X... these dudes for this game collab)".

• Heart
Reactions: Kokoloko

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Focus on ONE IP and make it grow as Sony's own Forza Horizon. But I am not sure if that will ever happen: Maybe the issue is about egos down there at PS Studios, to ensure no first party racing game poses a threat to Gran Turismo. Were Evolution games really THAT BAD that Sony had to close the studio? I think Polyphony had a say there.

Reactions: kuzon
24 Jun 2022
The idea of a "Sony All-Stars" arcade racer like you mentioned, might be the best route to go. Give it the Smash Bros. mentality bringing in Sony's various current & legacy IPs as characters, vehicles and track inspirations, mode inspirations etc. while having its own unique arcade racing-style mechanics, and maybe getting some 3P characters tied to PS legacy (Final Fantasy characters of course, but also maybe Street Fighter, Dark Souls, etc.) in there too as guest appearances.

There probably isn't much of a market for Sony to have multiple arcade-style racers, but a "catch-all" type of racer with strong single-player elements and fun multiplayer modes (it does NOT have to be a GaaS, maybe more of a pseudo live-service the way GT7 is) bringing IP like Wipeout, Jet Moto, Motor Toon Grand Prix, Parappa/UmJammer, Horizon, God of War, Spiderman, TLOU etc. together would be really fun and I figure could do very well commercially. Maybe not Mario Kart Wii or Mario Kart 8 types of numbers, but still very well in its own right with a sensible budget.

Reactions: Yurinka

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Focus on ONE IP and make it grow as Sony's own Forza Horizon. But I am not sure if that will ever happen: Maybe the issue is about egos down there at PS Studios, to ensure no first party racing game poses a threat to Gran Turismo. Were Evolution games really THAT BAD that Sony had to close the studio? I think Polyphony had a say there.
PD actually hired some of they Evolution Studios guys after the closed down. I don't think Polyphony had anything to do with it. Just Shu being quick to kill studios & partnerships quickly

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

"Hey guys, our PS BC/Digital/Portable team (I'd use the PS Legacy branding, dunno what that actual team does for Sony since they formed it. Doesn't seem to be going round publishers and making BC deals.)... have been working on this old franchise. Here's Parappa's old games on BC, here's a new game, big big relaunch attempt. But fair warning if this doesn't sell, it's going in the vault and you'll just have the games we brought forward on BC and this relaunch attempt, not future sequels. Parappa will exist as only merchandising plushies in future unless we outsource the IP to someone and oversee them, with a 2nd Party studios branding PSX (PS Studios X... these dudes for this game collab)".
People would complain about "arrogant Sony" or something like that

PD actually hired some of they Evolution Studios guys after the closed down. I don't think Polyphony had anything to do with it. Just Shu being quick to kill studios & partnerships quickly
Jim Ryan and Hermen basically resurected Evolution Studios + Liverpool Studio + Bizarre Creations when acquiring Firesprite+Fabrik, because a good chunk of their lead/senior staff comes from there.

Polyphony Digital has 4 offices: 2 in Japan, 1 in USA and 1 in Netherlands. If they hired former Evo staff maybe was for their Netherlands office.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
People would complain about "arrogant Sony" or something like that
How so? That'd be like a more legitimate "Capcom Test". Give an old IP a shot, train some teams on the BC porting and capitalize on a new game relaunch attempt. But then if it doesn't sell/maintain playerbase at least they tried. Ya know?

Hell make the BC fleet part of the pre order bonuses, pick a previous series entry, or have a corresponding anime/movie/show/digital comic accompanying media added to your preorder. Remember when we could vote on which game we wanted to go into a deal, or something like that? Was it a days of play promotion at some point?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’d reboot wipeout without weapons (and make it FZERO instead).

Further developing this. I pretty much want a live service FZERO.

Build player avatar. Start poor. Build your machines. Live mp races for bigger money earnings for better machine parts. Tons of a freedom for world buikding and art direction. No weapons. Keep that Mario kart shit out and leave it for twisted metal.

By being a futuristic racer you avoid paying licenses like in any car racer. Doesn’t need seasonal models. Just expand on it year after year.

I would launch it as a small 8 stage classic arcade racer and build from there. I can imagine this can be done cheaper than most games.

Always wanted Bungie to do an arcade racer with their art teams unless somehow Amusement Vision gets resurrected and makes a sequel to FZERO GX.

Sparrow racing was a fun waverace-like clone for a bit but instead of bringing it back I’d rather see them take on the genre proper without being a spin-off.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yurinka

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Honest answer? Contract one of the Japanese work for hire studios (you all know the ones, if not, look at the credits to any "low effort" Bandai or Nintendo games) and give them an appropriate budget. Game will be done in 2.5 to 3 years and, if you don't tell people who's making it, nobody will know the difference.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Exactly. Test the waters and maybe future sequels If they do well

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Who owns SUMO again? I want those dudes making more cart racers and/or having one evergreen "GAAS" game they just add tracks/racers to over time.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Who owns SUMO again? I want those dudes making more cart racers and/or having one evergreen "GAAS" game they just add tracks/racers to over time.
Tencent bought them last year. Meaning, they are open to continue working for Sony or Sega if desired.

How so? That'd be like a more legitimate "Capcom Test". Give an old IP a shot, train some teams on the BC porting and capitalize on a new game relaunch attempt. But then if it doesn't sell/maintain playerbase at least they tried. Ya know?

Hell make the BC fleet part of the pre order bonuses, pick a previous series entry, or have a corresponding anime/movie/show/digital comic accompanying media added to your preorder. Remember when we could vote on which game we wanted to go into a deal, or something like that? Was it a days of play promotion at some point?
I think it would be legit and honest, and basicallly it's what companies do with most of their games: if something sells they make more of it. If it tanks they move to something else. They also keep doing market research to try to know if something will work before releasing a test game. These projects are expensive, so they try to bet on safe stuff.

Nothing wrong with this, I meant that many people wouldn't understand it and would critize it, as people do whatever they do. I think it's very positive to be open, even if some people always complains.

I remember that voting, it was cool. But I assume that at some point it didn't work, so they skipped it.

Regading BC/old schools teams or brands, they recently bought Firesprite, who basically is Liverpool Studio (formerly Psygnosis), Evolution and Bizarre Creations resurrected and put together. They could ask Sumo or Sega to develop most of it, do themselves a little and put their (or or old logo on it).

Similar to what Guerrilla made with Horizon CoM, basically developed by Firesprite.

Last edited:
Reactions: ksdixon

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Hope Namco bring back Ridge Racer, just pray for once. Low budget, whatever. Idc.