Hypothetical: ABK is approved, what should Sony's next few moves be?

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Cant reply to yurinka but...

MS d take cod from PS tomorow if they re given chance. MS make like 15B profit per quarter. They dont give a damn about 1 billion cod gets on PS per year. Same story was about Bethesda. Their management cares about GP numbers and bonuses for Salty Nutela and Phil.
Their strategy s loss leader, buying ips, starving future competition from content amd offering cod, es, fallout....for few bucks a month. No1 can compete with that. When they get some form of monopoly they ll raise gp to $30 or 40 per month. Next decade probably plan. Only they thought AB d go easier. They said rhey wont stop aftwr AB.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
-Buy partial stakes in capcom, square, and take 2.
-Acquire cd project red or Larian studios
-Continue to get close to wb for their gaming division and hbo partnerships
-Continue to invest in epic
-Maybe buy partial stakes in amd as well
-Ensure that their gaas games are polished and have alot of content

Other than that just keep doing what they’re doing. Microsoft is doing all of this out of desperation and everyday they’re less relevant than the last. The series s/x are selling less than the Xbox 1 was at this point in its life and third party sales have collapsed. One article with no sources have y’all worried? How many fake articles from “sources” and “insiders” have we had to sit through just for the opposite to happen?

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

MS d take cod from PS tomorow if they re given chance. MS make like 15B profit per quarter. They dont give a damn about 1 billion cod gets on PS per year. Same story was about Bethesda. Their management cares about GP numbers and bonuses for Salty Nutela and Phil.
Their strategy s loss leader, buying ips, starving future competition from content amd offering cod, es, fallout....for few bucks a month. No1 can compete with that. When they get some form of monopoly they ll raise gp to $30 or 40 per month. Next decade probably plan. Only they thought AB d go easier. They said rhey wont stop aftwr AB.
Bingo. Short-sighted bilge rats think $1 a month is a steal for GP. It is. They're stealing from the future of gaming. We already know GP cannibalises retail sales and trains consumers to not buy games on Xbox, so who in their right mind would release on Xbox or on GP in the future? You either get paid out by MS which a normal business can't sustain or you get MS buying every pub they can to devalue their product. At that point, why would MS bother releasing retail? Lock it behind GP and make sure green rats own nothing and have to pay a sub to access games.

It's just happening too slowly for those simpletons to notice.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

For sure, they will be charging the same as you pay for internet.... 60-100 dollars per month. Not per year.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
One article with no sources have y’all worried? How many fake articles from “sources” and “insiders” have we had to sit through just for the opposite to happen?
That fucking article really ruined the mood. Now everybody is saying EC will approve and put pressure on the CMA or CMA will work with the EC to make concessions.

I don't know what to believe anymore.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
MS is not relevant enough to destroy the gaming industry. If something, they'd destroy their game division or console.
Pay for win!!! Microsoft style!

Microsoft already has more studios than Sony or Nintendo, and I’m pretty sure Microsoft isn’t going to stop if this deal gets approved.
Once 1 corporation owns almost everything of their industry it can certainly destroy it or disrupt it.
You as a consumer are trapped!

If people aren’t seeing how the industry is already morphing into something that is not very good for us consumers, just think, when did “playing acquisitions and arguing online was more important than video games?”

Firefly

25 Jul 2022
If ABK gets approved then its about time sony starts buying pubs. I don't get why people in this thread believe that sony can just continue business as usual If the largest third party pub goes to MS. What if MS starts going after more pubs? What if they bag take 2? What are you all going to say then?

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
That fucking article really ruined the mood. Now everybody is saying EC will approve and put pressure on the CMA or CMA will work with the EC to make concessions.

I don't know what to believe anymore.
It’s been nothing but horrible news after horrible news almost every day or week for Xbox since December. Off the top of my head
-Ftc sues to block the deal
-Cma says Microsoft must divest cod
-Multiple studio heads leave the forza 5 company to form their own
-Shinji Milano leaves tango promoting Greenberg and team to do an emergency photo shoot with koji pro to save face in japan
-Getting Outsold 2:1 in america
-Extremely deep discounts on series s while series x no where to be found
-Completely dead in Japan since the price hike, more so than they were
-Redfall looks like a last gen game and failed to hype anyone
-Virtually all first party studios are Mia and stuck in development hell
-343 is reduced to a skeleton crew
-10,000 layoffs some of which effected the gaming division
-Cloud dongle cancelled along with all other hardware initiatives they had planned
-Gaming division down 13 percent and gamepass failing to hit its goals two years in a row.
-Xbox marketing budget slashed so bad they cancelled e3
-Starfield is still Mia and all rumors point to development not going well.
-Things are so bad rumors are swirling by journalists that the Xbox division may be sold off.

All of that is just from December But now, an unsubstantiated rumor with unnamed sources completely flips the narrative? We’ve had rumor and insiders saying the ftc was sure to pass no problem and look what happened. Even if the eu approves with restrictions the ftc is still against the deal and the cma seemed pretty iron clad. That’s 2 out of 3 of the government bodies you need to be on your side. And the worst case scenario is Sony gets cod for 10 years and no good reason to say no when they inevitably go to buy their own publishers out of self preservation.

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I've said it before and will say it again, 1st parties do not buy studios to one up each other, they do it to fill gaps in their output. All Sony loses here is CoD in ten years, with no more advantage in CoD marketing. Well, they lose Crash too, I suppose. They don't really need to replace Crash, Astrobot and LBP do that, but they should want to eventually replace CoD. The good news is tht they have ten years to do it. They do have one genre equivalent (SOCOM) but its a little limited so they might be better off spinning up a totally new franchise. They could do it at one of their existing studios or buy or form a new one. Ten years is a long time, they might even end up with current CoD heads helming it if they hate working for MS.

D

Deleted member 417

Nothing changes. Microsoft own ABK, publish COD, give it away for free on Gamepass. Sony still dominate the industry because they do what they do for the gamers.

If VR takes off Microsoft have nothing. They have no single player games, even with ABK, and the last 3-4 decades have shown that single player games are key to success.

They're dead in Japan, dying in Europe, Death rattling in the UK and are on life support in the US.

Devs are turning their back on them because of forced parity with the weak Series S. The Series X bottle neck has killed any power advantage and as we leave the cross gen phase and enter pure next gen, the advantages of the PS5 will shine like the sun.

Spiderman 2 is going to be a graphical showcase. What does Microsoft have to draw gamers away from that? CoD on gamepass? Where the most popular game mode is ftp?

• fire

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Pull from PC - aka MS lifeblood. The less atractive MS Windows is, the greater the hurt for MS. Apple and Google in this sense are extremely aware of this fact and hit where it hurts.

Buy CDPR and Capcom as well just in case to keep the balance favorable and workable.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Pull from PC - aka MS lifeblood. The less atractive MS Windows is, the greater the hurt for MS. Apple and Google in this sense are extremely aware of this fact and hit where it hurts.

Buy CDPR and Capcom as well just in case to keep the balance favorable and workable.

My favorite post so far.

'Pull from PC'..... cutting right to the heart of the matter.

MSFT came into gaming to stop Sony in the living room, to hurt Sony in short....

The best thing for Sony to do is definitely hurt PC gaming..... Pull From Soft games, pull Capcom games, pull Square games and anything else they possibly can.

Big facts from @KnittedKnight

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Pay for win!!! Microsoft style!

Microsoft already has more studios than Sony or Nintendo, and I’m pretty sure Microsoft isn’t going to stop if this deal gets approved.
Once 1 corporation owns almost everything of their industry it can certainly destroy it or disrupt it.
You as a consumer are trapped!

If people aren’t seeing how the industry is already morphing into something that is not very good for us consumers, just think, when did “playing acquisitions and arguing online was more important than video games?”
In their case is pay for losing. And no, they won't stop with ABK. And they will continue slowly moving to becoming a full multiplatform 3rd party pubilsher.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
My favorite post so far.

'Pull from PC'..... cutting right to the heart of the matter.

MSFT came into gaming to stop Sony in the living room, to hurt Sony in short....

The best thing for Sony to do is definitely hurt PC gaming..... Pull From Soft games, pull Capcom games, pull Square games and anything else they possibly can.

Big facts from @KnittedKnight
As long as Windows is the go-to productivity OS, specially for game development, MS will have a foot in and say in premium gaming. However MS position has been eroded greatly with the rise of Google, and Android, and old rival Apple striking gold in the mobile space, thus reviving the dead macOS (rebranded and "improved' iOS). Add to that the rise of Chinese tech and thus you can see how the competitive environment for a once unrivaled monopoly is on shaky ground in need of constant maintenance (proactive work for relevance). In this sense, getting rid of pests like Sony and Nintendo is part of this maintenance work.

It shouldn't surprise that by acquiring ABK they also make even greater strides into mobile. Why the f would MS want to be in mobile? When you ask the question, it answers itself. MS failed at the hardware side of the equation with Windows phones, which failed the greater objective of propagating Windows OS into mobile. However if you can keep at least a part of the development environment, as are gaming apps for example, Windows centric, you still hedge vs your adversaries.... even if not in the idealistic position. For clients, if you're using Windows OS for game development, then may as well use it for everything else instead of segmenting - thus the monopoly is maintained. A "natural" monopoly you see. That MS does this hedge while making money too is a plus. Now this logic could be flipped to apply to Sony's push on PC, except the players are not the same - and that is the more simplistic explanation for it, as opposed to the thesis.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
In their case is pay for losing. And no, they won't stop with ABK. And they will continue slowly moving to becoming a full multiplatform 3rd party pubilsher.
I’m a firm believer that every company should try hard to earn our money by delivering good products and it’s our duty as consumers and gamers to stop being selfish and think about everyone and the state of the gaming industry. We would all win.

That being said, All I see is one company who failed at being competitive, making us consumers want to be in that platform, using their low market share, to get a hold of the industry piece by piece.

Even if MS becomes 3rd party and remedies are implemented, Microsoft will have still a powerful of grip on the industry!

In an ideal world I would say, it wouldn’t matter if Sony or Nintendo do not buy big publishers, because, we gamers would follow the brands that care the most to make good games etc - Brands that get gaming.

Microsoft never got gaming and I doubt it ever will.

There’s nothing Sony and Nintendo can do to compete with a rich and powerful company like MS, who had unlimited resources and a fanbase that is more loyal and crazy than Apple.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Apple crazy is hard to beat... :unsure:

One of many reasons why I would never endorse an Apple console or Apple entering the industry. Only bad things could come out it. Pricing explosion being the biggest of the bunch. Apple "culture" is not welcomed thanks. McDonalds MS is the better evil you know... if you will. Plus they make so many mistakes along the way to trip themselves over and over. Apple... no no noO!!!! Insect repellent!

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Satoru

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
A deal of this size getting through would be quite a precedent opening up all manner of potential acquisitions by various sectors. Sony should get take two and square as a starting point.