I still CANNOT believe that PlayStation released Demon's Souls Remake EXCLUSIVELY for the PS5❗

Was Demon's Souls PS5 exclusivity a based decision from SIE?

• Yes

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters

MiyazakiLovesKojima

Absolutely glorious & based decision from SIE❗BRAVO 👏
dark-souls-demons-souls.gif

Post your favourite DS:R GIFS❗

• fire
Reactions: Edmund and Entropi

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Disagree with the assessment of postponing release.

I enjoyed my new console greatly with this title, and justified my purchase much more than the Knitted Knight or Godfall.

Blupoint did a hell of a job and Sony nailed a picture perfect launch. Releasing this title as a PS5 launch exclusive is not the problem. The problem was a failure in not having enough PS5 stock back-filled prior to launch. Should have had capacity ready for at least 10 mill, with a potential 15m run for a 12 month period - Covid or no Covid, chip shortage or no shortage. You can't spend this much time creating a picture perfect launch which will drive demand through the roof, behind momentum and not have made sure you're 100% able to meet greater than normal demand for a console launch. Whatever calculus Sony was making when predicting demand, and capacity to manufacture and produce they were clearly wrong - anyway it's spun.

Any college business professor will literally grill this into your forehead. Ability to meet demand is a most basic, fundamental function of a soundly operated business.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Why do you type like a clickbait youtuber? 😂😂 I don't care for Souls games but Bluepoint did a great job with this, can't wait to see what they do next, hopefully not another souls game.

• haha
Reactions: MiyazakiLovesKojima

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I agree, it needed time to breath and have its time in the spotlight.

Also needed more marketing, leaning into how it's the father of all Souls games.
Yup definitely need its own release spotlight and also needed a bigger userbase as the Shortages really cut it's leg almost immediately since it wasn't an Evergreen like Spiderman.

Even the immaculate Sackboys Big Adventure got wronged by being a launch title

Reactions: Bryank75

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Disagree with the assessment of postponing release.

I enjoyed my new console greatly with this title, and justified my purchase much more than the Knitted Knight or Godfall.

Blupoint did a hell of a job and Sony nailed a picture perfect launch. Releasing this title as a PS5 launch exclusive is not the problem. The problem was a failure in not having enough PS5 stock back-filled prior to launch. Should have had capacity ready for at least 10 mill, with a potential 15m run for a 12 month period - Covid or no Covid, chip shortage or no shortage. You can't spend this much time creating a picture perfect launch which will drive demand through the roof, behind momentum and not have made sure you're 100% able to meet greater than normal demand for a console launch. Whatever calculus Sony was making when predicting demand, and capacity to manufacture and produce they were clearly wrong - anyway it's spun.

Any college business professor will literally grill this into your forehead. Ability to meet demand is a most basic, fundamental function of a soundly operated business.

You can't fault Sony for not having enough consoles. Their plan was to have an unprecedented amount of PS5's available within the first two years. They had to even cut PS4 productions basically Killing the tailend sales. Everything was shutting down by mid 2020 when production started in June. They did a great Job since they managed to outpace the PS4 sales and got to 10 million faster than it did.

I still think a game like Demon Souls could have been a year one title, it would have been able to breath and got proper marketing plus it wouldn't have went up against a double team up of Spiderman games.

• sad

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
You can't fault Sony for not having enough consoles. Their plan was to have an unprecedented amount of PS5's available within the first two years. They had to even cut PS4 productions basically Killing the tailend sales. Everything was shutting down by mid 2020 when production started in June. They did a great Job since they managed to outpace the PS4 sales and got to 10 million faster than it did.

I still think a game like Demon Souls could have been a year one title, it would have been able to breath and got proper marketing plus it wouldn't have went up against a double team up of Spiderman games.
I'm aware of the complications, they're still partly excuses in a failure to predict potential problems with the manufacture of the product as well as outsized demand - which the PS4 launch should have ringed some alarm bells for anyway. The 6 month production window is clearly not a sound production calculus and equation any longer, and you could make the claim the PS4 made it outdated as well - it underplays the potential negative variables that may mess up production within that time frame in the manufacture of consoles, not just chip shortages, but also priority manufacturing capacity purchases by direct or indirect competitors (crowding effect).....as well as underestimating initial first 3 months demand. Their calculus was wrong, and the "unexpected" complications made it worse, as they were not properly factored in, at least to an acceptable degree. The result is potential sales going to the direct competition as well as consumer spending money going elsewhere in general.

3 times the charm. I expect the PS6 launch to not suffer from this problem, otherwise its simply just gross incompetence. They should be working with AMD to make sure the PS6 at launch has stock worldwide to satiate within a 3-month period at least 6-8 million consumers, with the rest of the year being capacity flexible. If Sony doesn't work out with AMD the numbers and what it would take to make that happen it's on them. And the sooner that is ironed out, the more savings and less headache closer to launch, and the less the potential harm from unexpected wrecking balls.

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I'm aware of the complications, they're still partly excuses in a failure to predict potential problems with the manufacture of the product as well as outsized demand - which the PS4 launch should have ringed some alarm bells for anyway. The 6 month production window is clearly not a sound production calculus and equation any longer, and you could make the claim the PS4 made it outdated as well - it underplays the potential negative variables that may mess up production within that time frame in the manufacture of consoles, not just chip shortages, but also priority manufacturing capacity purchases by direct or indirect competitors (crowding effect).....as well as underestimating initial first 3 months demand. Their calculus was wrong, and the "unexpected" complications made it worse, as they were not properly factored in, at least to some degree. The result is potential sales going to the competition, and consumer spending money elsewhere in general.

3 times the charm. I expect the PS6 launch to not suffer from this problem, otherwise its simply just gross incompetence. They should be working with AMD to make sure the PS6 at launch was stock worldwide to satiate within a 3-month period at least 6 million consumers, with the rest of the year being capacity flexible. If Sony doesn't work out with AMD the numbers and what it would take to make that happen it's on them. And the sooner that is ironed out, the more savings and less headache closer to launch, and the less the potential harm from unexpected wrecking balls.
The competition had less stock than them at launch and Xbox even started production later. I just love that you're acting like Sony was somehow incompetent for the semi-conductor shortage that they couldn't have foreseen lol.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I'm glad you love it. Considering that they had the same problem with the PS4, not to the same degree but similar in that demand outstripped supply at launch, and around launch, I say their demand calculations and manufacturing capacity equations have a precedent of being wrong and falling short. When you add weather changes it compounds the issue two fold. Unforeseen circumstances should always be a variable in the production equation, and accounted for to a degree, in this case compensated by an increase in the amount of units to be produced variable whether the unforeseen circumstance manifests itself or not. I'm sure they account for that to a degree, but still falling short - which just shows typical corporate obsession of being as "efficient as possible", and dreading the cost of unsold stock - which has the usual result of not satisfying demand properly and leaving pie on the table for others - direct or indirect. See it all the time, specially new companies who get to a hot start with a product. Sony however has been in this business for decades and has, now, 5 console launches on its belt. They better not cry about PS6 demand outstripping supply - how many times do you have to bump against the same rock and call it an "act of god".

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I'm glad you love it. Considering that they had the same problem with the PS4, not to the same degree but similar in that demand outstripped supply at launch, I say their demand calculus and production capacity equations have a precedent of being wrong, and when you add weather changes, it compounds the issue two fold.
The PS4 success caught them off guard initially even Shu came out and said he isn't even sure why the console was selling so well lol. Even so the Shortage for PS4 was over by April 2014.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Huh? Yeah it's amazing. Miyazaki said they felt pressure from Demons Souls while working on Elden Ring.

The only issue is they haven't done a PC port yet for even smoother framerates.