I think a lot of the angst in gaming atm has to do with Sony and Nintendo not showing their new games

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Destiny. You're blind if you can't recognize Bungie's quality.
😂😂😂😂😂

Spider Man Lol GIF

24 Jun 2022
Sony does play too nice with people who have made it clear they're going to be antagonistic to them. I don't know if it's because Sony's being naive, or because their marketing department are asleep at the wheel. Regardless if I tune out the chatter, I can't lie and say I am not having a good generation on PS5. Maybe someone who only likes naughty dog games can say that, but thankfully I'm not someone like that.

Some of their 1P studios could be doing more and unfortunately the change in plans WRT some GAAS titles might've set a few of those studios back (further than they needed to), but that's kind of just how it is. Gotta accept that.

As for how SIE handle things with some of these Western games journalists and content creators, well if they had folks in touch with the community at a more regular and involved level, they'd be able to do something about it. They've got the traditional marketing & advertising channels mastered, but IMO fell asleep at the wheel of grassroots with the enthusiast spaces.

That's left a lot of room for Microsoft to go unchallenged and since MS's had a targeted goal for years to go after PlayStation, that's where all the talking points and FUD fueling their brigade of astroturfers and content creators went. That's why it's really hard for me to pay attention or care when some of these same people who enabled that stuff in the past suddenly have a "change of heart" and now try to talk nice about PlayStation. It's like, no, I'm not gonna suddenly forget you spent years being an attack dog for the Xbox brand. Doesn't work like that xD.

Even worst when some of them just turn what they were doing towards PlayStation and do it towards Xbox now. It's like they didn't learn anything; the console warring itself was the issue, not what console they did the warring against!

24 Jun 2022
The state of play in jan was actually pretty good. Legendary hulst and kojima black jacket announcement and i nice look at DS2

Kojima Creating Physint Due To Demand For Metal Gear Solid

It was a good SOP, but its best announcement was a game that probably won't be coming until 2030 for the PS6...

...which just also asks the question: why can't SIE at least announce a tease for some of the other games their 1P are developing? They can announce PHYSINT some six years out from release, but can't announce a tease for the next single-player Naughty Dog or SSM game 2-3 years out from release?

And we're just talking a tease, here. No CG reveal trailer, no gameplay trailer. A simple tease. It's a bit funny they can do that for a 2P game but not their own 1P games (although they arguably have for GAAS titles).

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Them, Rare, id, Rockstar North, Epic, CDPR and (ugh, I hate to admit it) Blizzard are really it these days as far as top tier western studios with long track records goes. Bethesda and Gearbox fell off and Retro and Valve haven't released anything substantial in nearly a decade/Alyx relied on a gimmick.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
You don't even know what Quantum Break is? 😂 You need to get out of your little Nintendo bubble more often bro. And why are you ignoring the part where I said NEW reveals....? FF16 and Spider-Man 2 were already revealed before that showcase, extra footage isn't noteworthy when we were already sold on it.

Another thing, you're completely ignoring context and expectations. The only one that's high is you. No one has crazy expectations for a damn partner direct 🤦‍♂️ That showcase was the first PlayStation showcase in 18 months, the expectations were through the roof and for good reason. And it completely failed to deliver in a major way, an extreme disappointment. Go look at the IconEra thread...even the biggest fans in here were disappointed with it. You're not a PS fan so I don't expect you to understand how important that showcase was...but it was, and we're still feeling the rippling effects of it to this day.

Look at the excitement through out the first 12 pages of the thread and then the utter disappointment in the latter 10 pages, the stark contrast is actually hilarious 😂 and just proves my point that it WAS the WORST SHOWCASE IN VIDEO GAME HISTORY!!!!

I skimmed through that thread and damn, I think it's probably the most pivotal thread we've had here over the past year. I think that's when there was a tonal shift of some sorts on this forum...

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
It was a good SOP, but its best announcement was a game that probably won't be coming until 2030 for the PS6...

...which just also asks the question: why can't SIE at least announce a tease for some of the other games their 1P are developing? They can announce PHYSINT some six years out from release, but can't announce a tease for the next single-player Naughty Dog or SSM game 2-3 years out from release?

And we're just talking a tease, here. No CG reveal trailer, no gameplay trailer. A simple tease. It's a bit funny they can do that for a 2P game but not their own 1P games (although they arguably have for GAAS titles).

They announced a bunch of games we all got to play already. Can you imagine?

24 Jun 2022
They announced a bunch of games we all got to play already. Can you imagine?

Not everyone played all of those games, because not all of those games appealed to all people.

Nor would they, nor should they. But my main question is why they can do a six-years-out teaser for PHYSINT yet can't do a 2-3 year teaser for 1P single-player games? As if those can only be revealed with a CG trailer or gameplay.

Sony/SIE already earned goodwill and trust in the latter PS3 and then PS4 era in revealing games, then having game meet or exceed reveal expectations. I really don't get why they've reversed on showing stuff or revealing things a bit earlier when this gen came along. Nothing in terms of general sentiment or sales/revenue/profits required the change, IMHO.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Not everyone played all of those games, because not all of those games appealed to all people.

Nor would they, nor should they. But my main question is why they can do a six-years-out teaser for PHYSINT yet can't do a 2-3 year teaser for 1P single-player games? As if those can only be revealed with a CG trailer or gameplay.

Sony/SIE already earned goodwill and trust in the latter PS3 and then PS4 era in revealing games, then having game meet or exceed reveal expectations. I really don't get why they've reversed on showing stuff or revealing things a bit earlier when this gen came along. Nothing in terms of general sentiment or sales/revenue/profits required the change, IMHO.

The only exceptions they made were for the marvel game and Kojima’s it probably has to do with other business related reasons as to why they announced them early

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I skimmed through that thread and damn, I think it's probably the most pivotal thread we've had here over the past year. I think that's when there was a tonal shift of some sorts on this forum...
Yep, it was the beginning of the end

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Them, Rare, id, Rockstar North, Epic, CDPR and (ugh, I hate to admit it) Blizzard are really it these days as far as top tier western studios with long track records goes. Bethesda and Gearbox fell off and Retro and Valve haven't released anything substantial in nearly a decade/Alyx relied on a gimmick.
Destiny is trash, people just “like” it because they’ve played it for so long, not because it’s actually good. Same with crap like League of Legends. And Rare?!?!😂😂😂 I know you’re a Nintendo fanboy but cut it out, Rare hasn’t been good since Microsoft acquired them over 2 decades ago.

There are still plenty of good Western game studios…. Arkane is way better than Rare. And you didn't know what Quantum Break was, but Remedy is also way better than Rare and Blizzard.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Destiny is trash, people just “like” it because they’ve played it for so long, not because it’s actually good. Same with crap like League of Legends. And Rare?!?!😂😂😂 I know you’re a Nintendo fanboy but cut it out, Rare hasn’t been good since Microsoft acquired them over 2 decades ago.

There are still plenty of good Western game studios…. Arkane is way better than Rare. And you didn't know what Quantum Break was, but Remedy is also way better than Rare and Blizzard.
Meh, people like Sea of Thieves and Ever Wild, if it actually exists, looks good. They remain an immensely talented studio on both a technical and gameplay polish level. No real interest in Arkane, I admit that on paper Dishonored sounds like a good series of games but their stuff seems too artsy fartsy for my taste and to be quite frank I cannot trust stealth gamer's opinion on games because they think that anything with decent stealth is "the best thing ever."