If Final Shape & Marathon aren't a commercial success @Sony will ultimately sell Bungie

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022

Interesting is that Investors did pressure Sony on Bungie's earnings. Imagine for yourself if Bungie does not meet expectations. We know for longer Totoki was not overall happy with Bungie's performance. There would be several possibilities to sell them to: Tencent, Microsoft, Netease, Saudis Fond etc.
I kinda hope Bungie does not meet the targeted expectations, so in order Sony will sell them. Would help to slow down Sony's PC & GaaS ambitions once and for all.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Nah, with Destiny they have a cow to milk and soon maybe more. It's also good they have a studio dedicated to GaaS, as long as they leave the other studios alone.

I just hope they will require PSN accounts on any game and every platform they release their games on.

Thirty7ven

30 Dec 2023
No they won’t. Final shape is an expansion, Destiny 2 is already a huge hit.

Marathon will be hit anyway.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
IMG-0244.jpg
IMG-0243.jpg

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
I know we live in an age where people love to see failure, and love rage bait, and to be negative, but looking at Bungie’s history why are so many hoping/predicting Marathon to be a failure other than Sony bought them so now you have an army of people praying for its demise?
Well the biggest advocate of buying Bungie was Jim Ryan. That man is gone, so there aren’t many who are backing them left. It’s not like I am making things up. You can literally read here that Sony is not satisfied overall with Bungie‘s performance so far.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I know we live in an age where people love to see failure, and love rage bait, and to be negative, but looking at Bungie’s history why are so many hoping/predicting Marathon to be a failure other than Sony bought them so now you have an army of people praying for its demise?

Bungie never fit in with Sony, they have always been an outlier. It never made any sense to buy them.

Cyberbroly7

3 Jun 2023

Interesting is that Investors did pressure Sony on Bungie's earnings. Imagine for yourself if Bungie does not meet expectations. We know for longer Totoki was not overall happy with Bungie's performance. There would be several possibilities to sell them to: Tencent, Microsoft, Netease, Saudis Fond etc.
I kinda hope Bungie does not meet the targeted expectations, so in order Sony will sell them. Would help to slow down Sony's PC & GaaS ambitions once and for all.

Stop right there , that's nonsense...I think ure sprinting too much and ure way away about how things work.. they just bought bungie and gave them a project to make while they have some in development and they have a money printing live service game that has a positively received expansion coming and will print more money than LIGHTFALL is cause it's the last expansion if Destiny 2, who would not show up to play?

Don't try to think of that bullshit again cause u already know Sony said they'll take over Bungie if they fail to make enough money

OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Stop right there , that's nonsense...I think ure sprinting too much and ure way away about how things work.. they just bought bungie and gave them a project to make while they have some in development and they have a money printing live service game that has a positively received expansion coming and will print more money than LIGHTFALL is cause it's the last expansion if Destiny 2, who would not show up to play?

Don't try to think of that bullshit again cause u already know Sony said they'll take over Bungie if they fail to make enough money
No they bought Bungie overpriced because they were panicking, that Microsoft would gobble them up. Bungie never did fit in PlayStation's philosophy. They are more of a hassle than fortune. Also Sony can sell Bungie with a profit.

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
I don't think there's any way for sony to sell Bungie, atleast in the next 4 years or so.

First: they aren't even done in the aquisition, there's about 300 million USD remaining, which will take about 5 quarters to complete.

Second: Marathon and Mobile releases will happen and at the same time I think they will do something with the Destiny Franchise again.

Third: They are going to expand Destiny into other media and that's going to take time.

Fourth and a big reason:

If Bungie is profitable this year, they will DEFINITELY not sell it, even though it won't be because they themselves said that Marathon development is taking money.

And If it isn't profitable and doesn't reach target then it won't be a independent subsidiary, and then SIE will take majority control of the Executive Board, & they will make it profitable.

- - - -

Now I can't lie I'm excited for Marathon & I hope it succeeds, even in just business aspect for Sony. It's going to make the Bungie Acquisition completely worth it, and give them more cash flow to make even a bigger investment into someone like Square for example.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Considering the last minute tunraround with both player engagement and favorability. It’s pretty much lined up to be their biggest success yet.

100 dollar edition is tracking well anywhere, ahead of Elden ring... Which is interesting … since what’s concerning is if Final Shape can relaunch and move players into the new service model starting with the episodes.

Because if you buy Final Shape alone… with no episodes, etc… just days after the raid and campaigns conclusion, a new seasonal storyline will start to roll out and the road to d3 those players won’t have access to… in whatever form that takes (bets on in-game overhaul and shared engine upgrade with marathon). Expecting d3 to be more like counter strike and Fortnite upgrades to new engines.

Concerning sentiments towards how it looks as actual Destiny content… yea… it totally looks like they went harder on this than anything before. So the delays already look like the right moves.

Marathon is an unknown and will have a completely different model of service and operation. I’m not even expecting it to cater to me personally but that’s also the point. It should have better returns than the Destiny model due to Destiny being yearly halo more or less and won’t need as many resources like music, narrative, dialogue, cinematics etc…

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I never liked Bungie, what a sad day when PlayStation bougth them instead of a bunch of high quality studios.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Why something that is ultimately an opinion from someone online is stated as a fact? That being said i think, Bungie will be a moneymaker for Sony. And of they have too many gaas games they can pivot to SP games. As creators of one of gamings greatest trilogies I think they have some pedigree