If Sega was bought by Microsoft, what would be the fallout?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
1688399697375.png

Due to the FTC injunction case against Microsoft, we have been privy to many interesting documents.
One of these outlines how Microsoft attempted to buy Sega and they may still be planning to do this in the future.

I am curious though; what would be the effects of this on the industry? How would consumers react?
Would more people buy Xbox or would consumers be outraged?
Would it be good, bad or not make a difference?

How would it effect you personally? Would you have to buy another console? Would it upset you in any way?

Or do you think it would be blocked one way or another?

Jim Carrey Power GIF by Sonic The Hedgehog

Here is Microsoft /\

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I feel like the fallout would be apathy. Sega dont make system sellers IMO so i dont think sonic or persona would help grow the xbox platfrom much, if any. Most of the fanbase of the games they make are firmly entrenched on playstation and or nintendo so if they made anything exclusive, which they would, the audience wouldnt migrate much and the franchise would inevitably die. But at least it would be "FREE" on gamepass for an entry and twitter fanboys could crow. Studio heads would inevitably leave and get Chinese backing to start their own studio.
If sony isnt in the process of getting series about locking down key partners, they might consider it, unless of course a new garage studio with 10 people working on mobile games becomes available of course.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
No response needed. SEGA (and Atlus) is a non factor.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sega would probably suck just like Xbox and would be mostly dead by now.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Xbox already owns fallout through Bethesda, Sega has nothing to do with fallout.

Now, if Ms bought Sega it would prepare them to go the same way Sega did as far as games are concerned.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sega isn't a valuable publisher. Most of their classic IPs are either dead or didn't age well. They really don't have a "must have" that can be added to exclusives portfolio. Their culture is also not a fit for Microsoft. Hence, if bought by them, death is awaiting.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Would they make the games exclusive (like with Bethesda) or leave them multi-plat like the courtroom exhibit was saying?

Anyways, I think that Sega's very nice collection of western PC devs would boost PC gamepass. RGG studio and Atlus would gradually get poached into mediocrity because they don't want to be on Xbox stuff, regardless. Sonic team would get purged after it's second trashy bomb, inadvertently killing the series "appeal" to its core users. After the franchise would get licensed out to whoever wants to try their hand at it. Hell, if you are saying the Activision deal goes through, Sonic probably ends up meeting Crash, maybe Banjo too. Fuck it, throw in Voodo Vince and Blinx and have a has-been platformer Avengers. And the arcade stuff wouldn't be part of the merger at all and would instead remain with Sammy. Note, not only did the merger proposal not mention gaining an arcade division it didn't even list the arcade teams when listing Sega's "ten internal teams", making it clear to me that they did not intend to purchase those at all. I forget what the Sega/Vocaloid relationship is but Microsoft wouldn't be getting that either. Oh, one good thing, I guess, is that the emphasis of selling Gamepass over direct monetization is we probably get the good version of Angry Birds back. hooray

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
No difference.

The only IP left to make a huge fallout is GTA owned by Take 2.

Pokemon is out of bounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arminius

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The next Sonic, Yakuza and Persona would move to GaaS after a 10 years of development. Over half of the staff would leave before releasing these games.

Once released, they'd get a yellow metacritic and sell a third of the previous one because of not being released in PS.

Reactions: Arminius

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I mean... If Sega were to do a teacup console for something other than megadrive, they could make a go of things. Reignite a few IP, for a modern attempt. But if you pull something out the vault, you do two things.

You make a gameplay and style faithful game - Sonic Mania. Then you make a modern attempt like Sonic Frontiers. And continue sporting both going forward. Tick tock them if you have to, so they don't bleed into each other.

People would buy a SEGA console for Sega games, like they do Nintendo's. Would people buy an XB for SEGA? It's a difference.

24 Jun 2022
I feel like the fallout would be apathy. Sega dont make system sellers IMO so i dont think sonic or persona would help grow the xbox platfrom much, if any. Most of the fanbase of the games they make are firmly entrenched on playstation and or nintendo so if they made anything exclusive, which they would, the audience wouldnt migrate much and the franchise would inevitably die. But at least it would be "FREE" on gamepass for an entry and twitter fanboys could crow. Studio heads would inevitably leave and get Chinese backing to start their own studio.
If sony isnt in the process of getting series about locking down key partners, they might consider it, unless of course a new garage studio with 10 people working on mobile games becomes available of course.

Yeah, no one's leaving Nintendo for Sonic if MS decided to make Sonic games exclusive. I also think in that case, they'd face a much nastier Nintendo because Sega is Nintendo's biggest 3P supporter AFAIK.

Sega isn't a valuable publisher. Most of their classic IPs are either dead or didn't age well. They really don't have a "must have" that can be added to exclusives portfolio. Their culture is also not a fit for Microsoft. Hence, if bought by them, death is awaiting.

I would say by virtue of sheer amount of IP Sega have, even if some haven't aged particularly well (in some cases because their genres are dead), they still have enough to where a creative platform holder could do some really neat things with, like Panzer Dragoon or Dragon Force.

Problem is, Microsoft are by far the least creative platform holder probably in the industry's history, when it comes to actual game content. This isn't the same thing as saying they don't make quality games: they do. However, when you look at Microsoft's ability to leverage and maximize their IP for long-term value retention (both in terms of revenue growth and expanding the fanbase, as well as quality control), they are maybe tied with Sega at historically being the worst at it, although I think with Yakuza and (though via acquisition) Persona, Sega have been better at it now than Microsoft.

So when I look at Microsoft's IP and see the declines in things like Halo, the stagnation in things like Gears and Forza, the difficulty they've had introducing a good number of new big IP over the past several years with clear staying power, the lack of being innovative with use of IP that could've kept their brand strong (Banjo, Perfect Dark, Crimson Skies etc.)...I doubt they would really know what to do with Sega & Atlus IP that aren't already active.

And even with the active ones, what would Microsoft bring to propel them to bigger heights in terms of polish, game design, production values/spectacle etc.? The only good thing Microsoft seem to be is as a bank to fund projects, but having no general input or influence beyond that. So what's the impetus in gaining ownership of these assets outside of just wanting more money?

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I would miss Atlus and RGG. Sega had a western studio that made a damn good horror game with Alien Isolation as well. If MS didn't go after ABK and went after Sega instead, that would suck too, but Sony would have an easier time countering it.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Yeah, no one's leaving Nintendo for Sonic if MS decided to make Sonic games exclusive. I also think in that case, they'd face a much nastier Nintendo because Sega is Nintendo's biggest 3P supporter AFAIK.

I would say by virtue of sheer amount of IP Sega have, even if some haven't aged particularly well (in some cases because their genres are dead), they still have enough to where a creative platform holder could do some really neat things with, like Panzer Dragoon or Dragon Force.

Problem is, Microsoft are by far the least creative platform holder probably in the industry's history, when it comes to actual game content. This isn't the same thing as saying they don't make quality games: they do. However, when you look at Microsoft's ability to leverage and maximize their IP for long-term value retention (both in terms of revenue growth and expanding the fanbase, as well as quality control), they are maybe tied with Sega at historically being the worst at it, although I think with Yakuza and (though via acquisition) Persona, Sega have been better at it now than Microsoft.

So when I look at Microsoft's IP and see the declines in things like Halo, the stagnation in things like Gears and Forza, the difficulty they've had introducing a good number of new big IP over the past several years with clear staying power, the lack of being innovative with use of IP that could've kept their brand strong (Banjo, Perfect Dark, Crimson Skies etc.)...I doubt they would really know what to do with Sega & Atlus IP that aren't already active.

And even with the active ones, what would Microsoft bring to propel them to bigger heights in terms of polish, game design, production values/spectacle etc.? The only good thing Microsoft seem to be is as a bank to fund projects, but having no general input or influence beyond that. So what's the impetus in gaining ownership of these assets outside of just wanting more money?
Trying to revive Sega's IPs is just as difficult and risky as creating new ones. With Microsoft, that's even worse.

shocknero

12 Jun 2023
it would be kind of a waste. They are already strong partners and like others have stated, people in Japan aren’t going to buy Xbox for Persona. Plus they already have a deal with Persona & Gamepass which is a perfect game for gamers there to play on their phone using Xcloud.

If they’re gonna make another publisher purchase in the future Capcom or SquareEnix would be the better play. Much stronger & better known IP overall.