If Sega was bought by Microsoft, what would be the fallout?

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Tim And Eric Idk GIF

24 Jun 2022
it would be kind of a waste. They are already strong partners and like others have stated, people in Japan aren’t going to buy Xbox for Persona. Plus they already have a deal with Persona & Gamepass which is a perfect game for gamers there to play on their phone using Xcloud.

If they’re gonna make another publisher purchase in the future Capcom or SquareEnix would be the better play. Much stronger & better known IP overall.

Sony wouldn't allow either of those two to happen. Or at least if they were smart, they would not let them happen.

That's where either an acquisition or big share purchases on Sony's side come into play. And we know that it is (nor has never) been about who has the most money; these publishers still have to actually want to sell. Especially the Japanese ones because companies like MS cannot do hostile takeovers of them (they shouldn't try doing hostile takeovers in general; just saying that legally it's impossible for them to do to a Japanese company).

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
View attachment 1783

Due to the FTC injunction case against Microsoft, we have been privy to many interesting documents.
One of these outlines how Microsoft attempted to buy Sega and they may still be planning to do this in the future.

I am curious though; what would be the effects of this on the industry? How would consumers react?
Would more people buy Xbox or would consumers be outraged?
Would it be good, bad or not make a difference?

How would it effect you personally? Would you have to buy another console? Would it upset you in any way?

Or do you think it would be blocked one way or another?

Jim Carrey Power GIF by Sonic The Hedgehog

Here is Microsoft /\
Hope they do it lol sega is in decline has been for a long time. Microsoft buying sega means no one can say sht if Sony grabs capcom, square, Konami ip, kodakawa or whatever else Sony wants. I think the Japanese government would encourage sony to buy as much as it wants and even give sony whatever resources I wants just to make sure publishers and devs stay in Japanese hands.

I personally wouldn’t care much but Microsoft grabbing sega but it would alienate a lot of Japanese fans. A western corporation that’s complete sht at gaming buying an iconic Japanese brand I think would be scene as an intrusion and co-opting of Japanese product to make a profit. This dumbsht about Xbox releasing hardware in Japan under the sega brand may work but put an Xbox logo anywhere near that sht and it won’t sell. Also there would be a major exodus of Japanese devs from sega. Microsoft corporate culture and Japanese corporate culture doesn’t mix.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Hope they do it lol sega is in decline has been for a long time. Microsoft buying sega means no one can say sht if Sony grabs capcom, square, Konami ip, kodakawa or whatever else Sony wants. I think the Japanese government would encourage sony to buy as much as it wants and even give sony whatever resources I wants just to make sure publishers and devs stay in Japanese hands.

I personally wouldn’t care much but Microsoft grabbing sega but it would alienate a lot of Japanese fans. A western corporation that’s complete sht at gaming buying an iconic Japanese brand I think would be scene as an intrusion and co-opting of Japanese product to make a profit. This dumbsht about Xbox releasing hardware in Japan under the sega brand may work but put an Xbox logo anywhere near that sht and it won’t sell. Also there would be a major exodus of Japanese devs from sega. Microsoft corporate culture and Japanese corporate culture doesn’t mix.

100% agree with you.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I really don’t know how Sega survived. Football manager and a slew of niche Yakuza games (which over time became a cult favorite). I guess buying Altus helped them out a bit of course. Sonic was a bust for years until the movies too.

If anyone else gets bought by MS, whether Activision goes thru or not, I hope it’s Ubisoft so I can effectively never give a shit.

Reactions: shrike0fth0rns

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I really don’t know how Sega survived. Football manager and a slew of niche Yakuza games (which over time became a cult favorite). I guess buying Altus helped them out a bit of course. Sonic was a bust for years until the movies too.

If anyone else gets bought by MS, whether Activision goes thru or not, I hope it’s Ubisoft so I can effectively never give a shit.
Tencent might push to block. They own 49% of GBL which gives them a 5% of the voting rights but GBL has 29% voting rights combined with the rest of the family and 2 times alrdy they had r voted to block hostile takeovers. Unless the money is overwhelmingly fcking good they ain’t budgeting and Tencent is probably in a position to grab ubi first. Personal I don’t play ubi or tencent games so I hope tencent would get them just to see Microsoft take another L