If Steam Deck sales will surpasse PS5's or be close to, do you think Jim Ryan et Hermen Hulst will be fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
With the PC ports is a matter of "what are they losing by doing it?". Clearly the PS5 keeps selling out and they also had the Xbox as a reference that people don't stop buying the console just because those games are also available on PC. It seem like the public that plays on PC but buy PS5 just for exclusive just isn't that significant compared to the public that have a PC, won't consider buying a console but is willing to play those games on PC. Sony never made any public commitment to it, they tested the waters and so far it seems to have worked out well for them.

For me.... it's an incremental thing.

Each game is a reason to buy a PS5 and they are giving them away one by one..... instead of adding to them....

They should be adding reasons to buy rather than eroding.

Add From Soft, add Square.... add Arc System etc etc.

As I said I have no issue with GAAS going to PC or even Xbox sometimes.

Reactions: SSfox

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022

Each game is a reason to buy a PS5 and they are giving them away one by one..... instead of adding to them....

But that only matter if you consider playing on PC as an option and a lot of console player just don't want to play on PC.

I played on PC my whole life and I'm comfortable with it. I still see the appeal of playing on console and I see the many drawbacks of playing on PC. The real appeal of PC was never hardware or playing AAA console games, there is some overlap sure but I think that is the exception.

Sony presence on PC needs to go beyond just porting games if they are smart. There are opportunities unique to the PC space. Remember the whole Battle Royale crazy that is still around to this day? One of the early attempts was H1Z1 a game made by Sony Online Entertainment with the help of the guy that made PUBG. SOE also had success developing MMOs (EverQuest could've easily turned out into what WoW became) but Sony seems to always see them as an afterthought, now we see that there was room for MMOs on consoles all along with the likes of FFXIV.

Last edited:
Reactions: rofif and Bryank75

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
From the purely financial perspective most were good...

Some may come at the expense of long term growth of the PS console and their main revenue and profit streams..... particularly the PC port initiative.

I would only put the GAAS games on PC. There is little to no benefit to putting anything more than a taster of the single player games on PC.
The entire point of exclusives is to attract to a platform.

So after the next few games release.... Spider-man, Ghost of Tsushima etc..... they should announce no further single player games will be brought to PC, if you want to experience the sequels, buy a PS5 and leave it at that.
Or do what they are doing…

Release a PC port after announce the sequel for PS5.

So when they announce the next GoW then release Ragnarok on PC… Horizon on 2 PC only after Horizon 3 is announced. Announces Returnal 2 to PS5 before launch Returnal 1 on PC.

Create a PlayStation Ecosystem on PC with old games… and releases all new games on PS5.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Well we will see in the future but imo the PC ports increases the reasons to buy a PS5.

The biggest issue is that there is not enough PS5 to all these that played these PC ports buy one.

That is the more critical part of the strategy… for example the Horizon PC port increased the desire to buy PS5 to play Horizon 2 but most people could not find a PS5.

Reactions: Bryank75

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
From the purely financial perspective most were good...

Some may come at the expense of long term growth of the PS console and their main revenue and profit streams..... particularly the PC port initiative.

I would only put the GAAS games on PC. There is little to no benefit to putting anything more than a taster of the single player games on PC.
The entire point of exclusives is to attract to a platform.

So after the next few games release.... Spider-man, Ghost of Tsushima etc..... they should announce no further single player games will be brought to PC, if you want to experience the sequels, buy a PS5 and leave it at that.
PC is not a threat and is not a competitor. As much as the so called “PCMR” like to gloat, it’s clear they don’t affect console sales. The only reason Xbox failed last gen is not because of porting games to pc but because they’re simply an undesirable brand. More Sony games on pc means more money and more money means more investment in new games. Think of it this way.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PC is not a threat and is not a competitor. As much as the so called “PCMR” like to gloat, it’s clear they don’t affect console sales. The only reason Xbox failed last gen is not because of porting games to pc but because they’re simply an undesirable brand. More Sony games on pc means more money and more money means more investment in new games. Think of it this way.

I think we have to see how it plays out. I don't take things for granted.

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Exactly, they are not really trying to lure PC player as much as they are just trying to expand their audience and get most out of their games.

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
So, as the title suggest, considering how Sony are porting everything to PC, i mean not everything for now, but they will reach that sooner or later, as Jimbo and Hermen already have opened the Pandora box, do you think if somehow Steamdeck sales will become too important and may even get closer to PS5 consoles sales or even surpasses tho, then finally Sony will start realizing that PC ports are a mistake and they will fire both Jimb and hermen?
You guys do know that Shu Yoshida and Layden were in on this decision and Hermen Hulst wasn't head of WWS when they decided to explore PC releases, right? And that some of their creative talents, like Cory Barlog, actually WANTED PC releases for their games, yes? And that PS has been breaking records under Jim Ryan? And that some of these decisions are handed down by Sony's CEO and shareholders too?

Good grief.

And no, this won't happen.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022

Money is money my guy. I'll never buy a PlayStation 5, but I'll buy Sony's games on PC. There are millions of me.

EWJ5JMYXQAMtdzO

Reactions: Bryank75
Status
Not open for further replies.