if the future of this industry is not consoles, can someone tell me what it is?

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Cloud gaming is here right now, it has been here for years, avaliable for everyone and people still refuse to use it, subscriptions don't represent even 10% of the spending in the industry, gamers refuse to not own their stuff and be reliant on subscriptions/fees to access games, the biggest platforms in the industry are for native play and purchasing games, PlayStation, Nintendo and Steam, the Console market generates billions and billions together with PC and Mobile, all native, publishers rely on consoles to sell games and finance them since PC sales are not sufficient to back everything up, i keep hearing people say consoles will go away and cloud gaming will be the future but the data says otherwise, so what it is?

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
i also keep hearing the console market is stagnant, but i think this is not true, if the rumours of PS6 having a handheld version are true, i can see the generation surpassing the PS2 (160M) very easily since it will offer multiple options for different type of players, for example in Japan people prefer to game on handhelds, so much so that the Switch sold 30M+ there, if the PS6 handheld sells the same amount, it would bump the sales from 120M (current number for PS4 or estimate PS5) to 150M pretty easily, what i think needs to be done is getting more aggressive with consoles in markets like China and India that are big and can bump the numbers even more

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Clearly Mobile, mobile's are even able to run Resident Evil 8 now. In a few years they will be more powerful than current gen consoles.

Reactions: ethomaz
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Clearly Mobile, mobile's are even able to run Resident Evil 8 now. In a few years they will be more powerful than current gen consoles.
yeah probably, can see that, and everyone has a phone today, but i still think consoles will continue to exist as a form to play on your TV/Monitor for people that prefer it

Reactions: Jim Ryan
OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
i think Cloud Gaming will be the biggest failure of the industry, people will prefer to play natively on their phones and not be reliant on an internet connection to be able to play

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
there needs to be regulation for digital ownership, so that way people can buy digital stuff more comfortably knowing they really own it

• Shake
Reactions: Sunrise Ninja

Yuniac

15 Apr 2024
While I want it to be PC, unfortunately, the average IQ of nowadays gamers is too low to even configure their PCs or learn how to, and if the console market dies off or keeps shrinking or whatever, then yeah, mobile gaming will take over. It's the simplest to get in for the average person, and it already makes an insane amount of money, doesn't it?

Personally, I will be sticking with PC.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Current gen. Not future gen

OP
OP
Etifilio

Etifilio

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
While I want it to be PC, unfortunately, the average IQ of nowadays gamers is too low to even configure their PCs or learn how to, and if the console market dies off or keeps shrinking or whatever, then yeah, mobile gaming will take over. It's the simplest to get in for the average person, and it already makes an insane amount of money, doesn't it?

Personally, I will be sticking with PC.
Consoles are literally more optimized/simplyfied/accessible/affordable PCs, also the majority of PC gamers don't have a PC that can beat the PS5 powerwise, the disparity will get even more significant with the PS5 Pro, majority of them play very simple games like LOL/Dota/Counter Strike, games that don't require high specs to play, tho there are millions of high end PCs out there, don't get me wrong

Reactions: Kyoji

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
It's consoles. "Experts" have been saying consoles were dying for the past 15 years and look where we are. Breaking sales records with 2 platforms. Again, it's a MS PR narrative because their console is dead.

Do you honestly thing gamers will switch from their big TVs to a tiny phone screen? Give up that nice controller for some shitty touchscreen controls? Yes, you can connect a controller to a phone but if that's thing's counted as a portable, you;re not gonna lug a controller with you around.

@Yuniac

That's some pseudo-intellectual crap right there. It's never been easier to assemble a PC than it is now. Components themselves have pretty good instructions, let alone all the help you could get online. Doesn't take more than a few hours to assemble a PC on your first try, without any experience. Not to mention that if you REALLY wanted a PC, you could have the store themselves put it together, using components you ask for. It's piss easy. You're using ignorance as an excuse for PC market not being big enough. So you can shove that PCMR, pseudo-intellectual crap up your ass. Fucking hell, what a pathetic fanbase.

With xbox dead, we're getting more of these PC wannbe astroturfers.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If you look at the young new gamers…

Mobile.

My little 5 years old prefer to watch video on cellphone than TV or tablet.
Same for games.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
yeah probably, can see that, and everyone has a phone today, but i still think consoles will continue to exist as a form to play on your TV/Monitor for people that prefer it

I mean... I can throw a ROG Ally onto a TV with a long ass hdmi and essentially turn it into a whole ass portable console in the form of a wired controller.. ?

There's WiFi streaming/screen mirroring something into the TV like miracast too (never worked for me, but stuff exists).

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
there needs to be regulation for digital ownership, so that way people can buy digital stuff more comfortably knowing they really own it

i think Cloud Gaming will be the biggest failure of the industry, people will prefer to play natively on their phones and not be reliant on an internet connection to be able to play
just gather your thought for a minute. you don't need to write 1 sentence back to back 3 times :D are you trying to farm engagement? :D

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Shadow2027

15 Dec 2023
Who the hell wants to play on a tiny ass phone screen and have like 30 min-1 hr of battery life and constant distractions popping up. The day it goes all mobile, gaming is dead outside of the fortnites and shitting mobile $1 games.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023

If you can connect your phone to ur tv/monitor what's the point of a console?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
quality of games. are you saying mobile games are as good as console games? 🤡

Companies dont care about quality and neither do most gamers (Cod,fifa and fortnite always making billions a year).

It's all about money at the end of the day, we can't keep denying this