If the MS-ABK acquisition fails, do you see MS becoming a 3rd-party publisher?

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
I believe there is probably about a 20% chance of the acquisition failing, but that leaves an 80% chance it will go through. Not guaranteed but the chances are high.

Personally, I want it to fail, but my question is: if it does fail, could it cause Xbox to drop out of the console market and become exclusively 3rd-Party + PC, or are MS going to stick with consoles for the long term, even though they are perpetually in third place?

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
2023 for example looks poor for MS. Only game coming out is Starfield, Stalker 2 got delayed for unknown time. Starfield will be obviously be more player on PC than console. Even their big games like Fable, Avowed, TES 6, Fallout seeming to be in a Hell of development and Crunch. When will be release in sight? 2025-2026 nearly when the next generation is coming. Only games I could see coming, is Gears 6, Forza Motorsport 8 ans maybe Hellblade or later to be released in 2025. I don’t see how Microsoft will reach the Xbox One numbers tbh. In Europe (Germany, England, France) I have seen the Series X always on store. I think this will be Microsoft’s last real console. Next hardware will be pretty much likely a machine for streaming for Xbox Game Pass.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: toadsage44 and Umar

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
2023 for example looks poor for MS. Only game coming out is Starfield, Stalker 2 got delayed for unknown time. Starfield will be obviously be more player on PC than console. Even their big games like Fable, Avowed, TES 6, Fallout seeming to be in a Hell of development and Crunch. When will be release in sight? 2025-2026 nearly when the next generation is coming. Only games I could see coming, is Gears 6, Forza Motorsport 8 ans maybe Hellblade or later to be released in 2025. I don’t see how Microsoft will reach the Xbox One numbers tbh. In Europe (Germany, England, France) I have seen the Series X always on store. I think this will be Microsoft’s last real console. Next hardware will be pretty much likely a machine for streaming for Xbox Game Pass.
Interesting about more players on PC for starfield than console, is that the genre trend for Todd Howard games?

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I see them becoming a third-party publisher either way.

As Gamepass grows and the console userbase continues to shrink, they will go third-party as a sub provider, like EA Play. They'll create new Gamepass tiers (one of which would be first-party only) and put that tier on consoles like PlayStation and Nintendo.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
lol no

The goal of GamePass is to get people subscribed and in the MS ecosystem. Not Sony or Nintendo’s.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Interesting about more players on PC for starfield than console, is that the genre trend for Todd Howard games?
In normal case yes. Bethesda games have their big audience on PC. Bethesda games becoming enjoyable after the community fixing it with mods. I played Skyrim with Mods on my PC back then. But this applies as well to Fallout and Wolfenstein too.

Reactions: Shmunter

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think that it has 95% chances of being completed, and that 5% would be because some regulator wouldn't research enough the market data to see that MS is far of being a market leader of gaming or in any gaming platform or area even adding ABK on top, and that by removing CoD from PS wouldn't damage PS. Or that some regulator notices MS lied to them and they consider it's enough to stop the acquisition.

I think that independently of the acquisition being completed or not, this generation Xbox will continue losing market share and PS will continue increasing theirs, so MS will double down on their 3rd party side and will increase their number of games released on other consoles beyond deals they made before acquisition and then this or the next gen it would be their last one as 1st party.

I think that MS will continue their pattern of keeping away their focus on their own console hardware and that their console for the next gen may be just a HDMI dongle to run xCloud. Or maybe they release a last normal console, maybe even not manufactured by them but licensed like a Steam Machine.

The patience of some excutives or stakeholders with their (previously known as Xbox) gaming division could end and they could ask again to shut down Xbox or their gaming business, but recently they spent almost $100B investing on it so they'll give them many years to see if in the long term they turn these investments into a profit. But if over years it continues not being the case and Phil keeps burning dozens of Billions throwing them to the garbage bin I think they could kill the gaming divison.

I personally think that first they'll quit from making their own consoles, then they'll announce their VR device and VR metaverse as their new 'wait until' and 'MS made VR and PS Home before than Sony!' and after that they'll slowly reduce their focus on GP to end killing after 10 years or so of not being able to match Sony's game subs. Some years after that they'll kill GP and some years after that they'll kill their gaming divison selling it to someone and will focus instead on their PS Home VR metaverse stuff.

Phil would be fired for sure
Nah

I see them becoming a third-party publisher either way.
They already are a third party publisher. Guess who publishes the Minecraft games, Ghostwire Tokyo, Deathloop, Psychonauts 2, Quake Remastered, Ori etc in non Xbox consoles.

I'd say the question exacly would be is if they will stop being a 1st party and will become 3rd party only.

Last edited:

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
The Greatest Showman Lol GIF by Sky

• party
Reactions: Sircaw

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Phil might leave if this doesn't work, and once he leaves, Xbox will change strategy. They will probably take a Playstation approach.

P

peter42O

Anyone who thinks/believes that Microsoft will go third party is blind and delusional at this point. Even if the ABK deal wasn't to go through, that doesn't change anything for Microsoft as they've been all in with Xbox since E3 2018 and if that year didn't convince anyone, acquiring Bethesda in September 2020 sure as hell did.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Anyone who thinks/believes that Microsoft will go third party is blind and delusional at this point. Even if the ABK deal wasn't to go through, that doesn't change anything for Microsoft as they've been all in with Xbox since E3 2018 and if that year didn't convince anyone, acquiring Bethesda in September 2020 sure as hell did.

I could seem them going third-party. They obviously don't care about console sales or console revenue, they care about adding to their ecossystem. Once their ecossystem is big enough (Cloud, Gamepass subs, etc), they don't need consoles.

P

peter42O

I could seem them going third-party. They obviously don't care about console sales or console revenue, they care about adding to their ecossystem. Once their ecossystem is big enough (Cloud, Gamepass subs, etc), they don't need consoles.

Eliminating consoles doesn't mean they're going third party. It means that their eco-system is so big that they don't need consoles anymore. Consoles have a ceiling and are extremely limited compared to what Microsoft's plans are long term. I see consoles being dead across the board by 2035-2045. Basically, by the time I retire in about 20 years, consoles will be obsolete. They won't last forever simply because they're too restrictive and limited in regards to getting more consumers into the eco-system and platform which is far more valuable than any console from any manufacturer.

Microsoft cares about consoles and their sales because as of right now, it's the number one way to get into the Xbox eco-system. It's just that unlike Sony (even though they're already pivoting towards the same direction, people just don't want to see it), Microsoft isn't just depending on a box which does have a ceiling compared to a subscription service and streaming which don't. Microsoft simply sees beyond the box.