If the MS-ABK acquisition fails, do you see MS becoming a 3rd-party publisher?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
I don't really want anyone else the likes of Apple
I see them becoming a third-party publisher either way.

As Gamepass grows and the console userbase continues to shrink, they will go third-party as a sub provider, like EA Play. They'll create new Gamepass tiers (one of which would be first-party only) and put that tier on consoles like PlayStation and Nintendo.

But that's cutting off 30% for each mtx sale isnt it? Why would MS do that, it's not like XB paying MS to sell on the MS/XB store apps? (assuming Halo has mtx?)

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
A huge amount of their revenue is from console sales but the profit margin is minimal as they have to account for the expenses of every console manufactured so that 33-40% less revenue would be offset by not having the expenses of the console in the first place. I never said for them to eliminate their console, I simply said to expand their platform and eco-system in addition to having their console. Instead of console and that's it, Sony should have console, PC, cloud streaming and subscription. Add in an eventual TV app for PlayStation Plus and whatnot and they would be expanding their platform and eco-system which is far more important than only having the console because the consoles all have an expiration date. The other stuff not so much if at all.

What the consumer base wants though is the minority. The hardcore fans who buy majority or every exclusive is the minority. It's about getting the majority of consumers because there's much more of them and are more casual which increases the chances of getting them into your platform and eco-system via other means.

Hardware is great and ahead of streaming now but I don't see it staying that way long term simply because streaming can be upgraded and updated without the need of selling hardware. I disagree with the mid-gen console idea simply because PS4 Pro sold around 10m which for that number while 107m stayed with the PS4 base or PS4 slim, it's just not worth the investment especially when you have to keep the original price tag of the base from launch ($500) or possibly increase it.

Instead of hardware revisions, I believe that both Microsoft and Sony should with next generation release a "modular" console which would keeps the core intact but makes more customizable like a PC. Want to get more SSD space, upgrade the SSD. Want 24GB of RAM instead of 16GB, upgrade it. Same with the CPU and GPU. Granted, this would probably be more expensive to pull off but having compatible components that can be upgraded if the user so chooses would be huge for those who want the best what prefer the console experience while those who don't can simply stay with the base console and not upgrade anything.

As for PS2, the life cycle was 13 years. PS4 was around 8+ years. I think they would have needed another 5 years to match or surpass PS2. The biggest issue would be the price. PS2 launched at $300. PS4 launched at $400 and PS5 launched at $500. I don't think that limiting production mattered for PS4 because at the end, it always made more sense for Sony to priortize PlayStation 5. Maybe if there was no pandemic and chip shortage, the PS4 would still exist but that's simply a "what if" scenario.

Sony does focus on their platform. They're simply expanding it into other areas in order to get more growth, more revenue and more profits. For example, I can see a lot of PC gamers who have no intention on buying a PS5 but yet, will buy Sony's exclusives on PC which is getting more consumers and users into their platform and eco-system where as without this, they never get those PC gamers. Increasing the consumer base via console or PC simply means more revenue and more profit for Sony which in turn equals more console exclusives for you and me.

I don't think you are seeing all the downsides to cloud.... the fact that instead of sharing the burden of new hardware between company and customer and utilizing economies of scale to provide value to the consumer, in a cloud scenario all of the expense of inserting server boards to play games is shouldered by the company...... therefore they have no incentive to upgrade at a good pace.

There really are massive issues with cloud and I have my doubts that Sony have cloud in their strategy for expansion anymore after they limited cloud to the highest tier in PSplus. It really signaled to me that they dont see a big future for it.... maybe they learned from Amazon and Google and their own experience of course.

But if fairness to Xbox, their customers seem more flexible and willing to trust the company and its vision.

P

peter42O

I don't think you are seeing all the downsides to cloud.... the fact that instead of sharing the burden of new hardware between company and customer and utilizing economies of scale to provide value to the consumer, in a cloud scenario all of the expense of inserting server boards to play games is shouldered by the company...... therefore they have no incentive to upgrade at a good pace.

There really are massive issues with cloud and I have my doubts that Sony have cloud in their strategy for expansion anymore after they limited cloud to the highest tier in PSplus. It really signaled to me that they dont see a big future for it.... maybe they learned from Amazon and Google and their own experience of course.

But if fairness to Xbox, their customers seem more flexible and willing to trust the company and its vision.

I see and know the downsides of cloud streaming but I don't believe that it stays that way 10 or 20 years from now. It will be vastly better and superior than what it is now. Upgrading server blades would be based on the company itself and their focus and direction. Since cloud streaming is important to Microsoft, I do see them upgrading their server blades every generation. For Sony, you're right, it probably doesn't make much sense for them to do the same, at least not now anyway.

Yeah, I trust Spencer's vision because he convinced Nadella and because thus far, unlike Xbox One, they haven't had any major fuck ups at least not yet anyway.

Reactions: Bryank75

Swolf712

Veteran
29 Jun 2022
Wisconsin, USA
No, and here's why.

They won't be pitching their games to other systems, but their service. And their service is still part of their ecosystem. And ECOSYSTEM and ecosystem exclusivity are what they've been preaching anyways.

Even if Game Pass hits PlayStation and Switch, they'll still see it as publishing solely into Game Pass and the Xbox Game Pass ecosystem.

If they can get GP on other systems? Fine. If GP solely exists on PCs, phones, and streaming sticks in the future? Fine. They (and their apologists) will see it as First Party regardless.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Even if Game Pass hits PlayStation and Switch, they'll still see it as publishing solely into Game Pass and the Xbox Game Pass ecosystem.
Unless Sony and Nintendo get forced by regulators to allow other stores and game subs on their consoles they won't allow to have rival game subs on their consoles.

Reactions: laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Unless Sony and Nintendo get forced by regulators to allow other stores and game subs on their consoles they won't allow to have rival game subs on their consoles.

Yeah, I don't see that happening either. There is absolutely no financial incentive for either company to put a competitor's service on their platform. They can either create their own offerings or just continue selling great games as they always have.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Good research. IDK what all it could mean though lol.
Look in Acquisitions thread, made an better overview with a pie chart. It means Sony could theoretically pay with shares. Means Sony could increase shareholders stock in their own company, without paying in cash. The big advantage is here, Sony knows the shareholder better than any other company out there. Sony would just need to pay in cash for Fukushima family’s shares.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Look in Acquisitions thread, made an better overview with a pie chart. It means Sony could theoretically pay with shares. Means Sony could increase shareholders stock in their own company, without paying in cash. The big advantage is here, Sony knows the shareholder better than any other company out there. Sony would just need to pay in cash for Fukushima family’s shares.
We'll see what happens.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Xbox being first party only never made any sense to begin with. MS is a software service company and having a walled garden never made any sense for them, Xbox is the outlier.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
Xbox being first party only never made any sense to begin with. MS is a software service company and having a walled garden never made any sense for them, Xbox is the outlier.

That's kind of a silly attitude; successful walled gardens are a gold mine and MS was specifically looking for one when they created Xbox. Also why they tried to get into the mobile phone business... also why they built the Windows Store...

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
That's kind of a silly attitude; successful walled gardens are a gold mine and MS was specifically looking for one when they created Xbox. Also why they tried to get into the mobile phone business... also why they built the Windows Store...
That doesn't change what I said: Xbox is the outlier in the company.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
That doesn't change what I said: Xbox is the outlier in the company.

Except I listed 2 other walled gardens directly?

Also did you know Windows has always been a loss leader?

Did you know almost all software released for Windows for decades went through a $50k+ certification program for software to release on Windows? That's how those little "Windows" icons showed up on boxed software.

While it wasn't a walled garden the concept of Windows was about trapping people in a place where MS makes money directly and indirectly on all kinds of software. Most Windows software was written w/ Visual Studio ($1000+) for instance and really still is. People always claim it's as simple as "Well they sell you windows for $99 so they can sell you office for $500" but it was a lot more than that. It was a garden with invisible walls.

Right up until MS literally created a walled garden Windows Store lol

Xbox is not an outlier, it's MS's only big success at walled gardens. (yes having 50+ million people use your walled garden is a big success) It makes no sense at all to give it up.

Hate to say it but it comes across as copium.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Except I listed 2 other walled gardens directly?

Also did you know Windows has always been a loss leader?

Did you know almost all software released for Windows for decades went through a $50k+ certification program for software to release on Windows? That's how those little "Windows" icons showed up on boxed software.

While it wasn't a walled garden the concept of Windows was about trapping people in a place where MS makes money directly and indirectly on all kinds of software. Most Windows software was written w/ Visual Studio ($1000+) for instance and really still is. People always claim it's as simple as "Well they sell you windows for $99 so they can sell you office for $500" but it was a lot more than that. It was a garden with invisible walls.

Right up until MS literally created a walled garden Windows Store lol

Xbox is not an outlier, it's MS's only big success at walled gardens. (yes having 50+ million people use your walled garden is a big success) It makes no sense at all to give it up.

Hate to say it but it comes across as copium.
Windows Store has no exclusive Apps

DForce

24 Jun 2022
No, I think they'll just continue what they're doing now without them.