IGN First "Final Fantasy XVI" S&C rank "Hunt" game play [JP only]

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
Yeah idk.. something just seems off with the combat. Can’t quite put my finger on it.

EightC

11 Jul 2022
The enemies in just about all the videos they've put out are ridiculous damage sponges.
I wonder if they're doing that so they can show off the flashy combat. I imagine like the other videos the field mobs aren't gonna take 5 minutes to kill and they really just want to show off crazy looking combos.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
One thing I've felt missing through this entire PR campaign is that they don't discuss the RPG system at all. Basic stats and item system like in a classic FF?

Reactions: Kokoloko

EightC

11 Jul 2022
One thing I've felt missing through this entire PR campaign is that they don't discuss the RPG system at all. Basic stats and item system like in a classic FF?
I would like to see more info on this as well but I have the feeling it's gonna be pretty basic considering they seem to be pushing the whole it's for everyone and the heavy options to streamline a lot of the game I wonder if they will just keep it simple.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Game looks amazing personally. This could potentially be the great reset the franchise so badly needed.

Bring on the review scores to hit the home run Square.

Razdaz

25 Sep 2022
Yeah, and it has become more noticeable after them teasing it in the State of Play episode. Can't say I'm surprised tho, it's trying to be both a frenzy, skill-focused character action and a modern semi-role-playing game, and one of them will have to take precedence over the other, in this case, seems like the action has won lol.

The enemies in just about all the videos they've put out are ridiculous damage sponges.
I assume some of them are tuned to showcase the combat animations and combos better, like EightC pointed out. Some could also be due the level gap between Clive and the enemies; that golem knight in the end is like 15 levels above the player's level lol.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yeah idk.. something just seems off with the combat. Can’t quite put my finger on it.

The combat will most probably be better than Witcher 3 or anything Bethesda has made.

Games like BOTW, Witcher 3 and Skyrim can be excused by average combat, so lets see how fairly this will be treated…

This game is gonna be reviewed by the harshest eyes. Combat, Story, Voice acting, “representation:, “repetitiveness” are all gonna be issues when other games will be ignored with much worse quality

Reactions: Swift_Star

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

It does look this way but for people who have played FF’s and alot of RPG’s, enemies normally always will have huge health

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Only a few more days. I desperately need a break from ToTK. I need to play a game with a good combat system, lol

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Disbistayds1

5 Jun 2023
Anyone that says damage sponges on this gameplay is an actual bozo. They’re literally showing you hunts. No shit they take longer, they’re bosses. These fights are anything but long. Funny how FF7 remake never gets this yet every enemy in ff7 takes forever to kill, even basic enemies. And the gameplay isn’t even as good. They’re literally fighting a S tier hunt that’s 15 levels above the player. People just finding something to hate now.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Anyone that says damage sponges on this gameplay is an actual bozo. They’re literally showing you hunts. No shit they take longer, they’re bosses. These fights are anything but long. Funny how FF7 remake never gets this yet every enemy in ff7 takes forever to kill, even basic enemies. And the gameplay isn’t even as good. They’re literally fighting a S tier hunt that’s 15 levels above the player. People just finding something to hate now.

When a game is launching this polished, looks good, with relatively no drama or development problems this is what the outcome is. People are trying to cling to something to make themselves feel better about not being able to play it or not liking the direction the franchise is going in.

I have literally never played anything that you could consider an action game or action rpg that didn’t have “spongey” enemies. Scarlet Nexus, FF7R, DMC, God of War, Neir, Astral Chain, etc. it’s literally the core of what these games are, its about experimentation and having fun fighting. That doesn’t really make sense if the enemies go down like ghost of tsushima.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
When a game is launching this polished, looks good, with relatively no drama or development problems this is what the outcome is. People are trying to cling to something to make themselves feel better about not being able to play it or not liking the direction the franchise is going in.

I have literally never played anything that you could consider an action game or action rpg that didn’t have “spongey” enemies. Scarlet Nexus, FF7R, DMC, God of War, Neir, Astral Chain, etc. it’s literally the core of what these games are, its about experimentation and having fun fighting. That doesn’t really make sense if the enemies go down like ghost of tsushima.
The enemies in these games are only sponge-y if you don’t know what you’re doing. Persona also has enemies like that and it’s turn based.

Also, something about square sorting their pipeline problem is really annoying some people, I wonder why.

Last edited: