IGN: There’s a Lot Riding on GTA 6 — and Not Just for Rockstar and Take-Two - Could be the most important game release Ever

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
I have the opposite take. Studios will keep making games which are a bloated mess because they’ll have a new benchmark to reach.
Yeah, this is a problem. Everything has to be bigger these days. You end up with games bloated for the sake of being bigger. No meaningful content.

• brain
Reactions: BroodCorp
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Big, empty or bloated world have been a problem now for like ten years now. Botw was so empty I hated it. Days Gone did it right, as well as Ghost of T and others.

Reactions: Luffy123

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
September 2022
1.jpg

December 2023
2.jpg

Reactions: Gamernyc78

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
View attachment 4521

Cyberpunk is selling at a faster rate than Witcher 3. It had launch issues for sure, mostly technical on consoles

That won't be an issue for GTA6 which will be extremely polished just like RDR2

Cyberpunk which tanked, was panned and removed from stores because it was so good?
If not for CDPR being forced to fix the game, it would have been the next Anthem. How well did Anthem or the latest Battlefield flops sell on launch day?

COD, once a juggernaut, had to go F2P because it was losing money.

Diablo 3 sold gangbusters. Diablo 4 was a flop.

Many such cases.

RDR2 sold really well. I remember all of the normies at work talking about it non-stop. Then a week later, silence. Never played again because it was boring.

GTA6 can be polished, it can do everything right, but if people lose interest in it, then it will be a flop. I doubt R* are focused on day 1 sales, rather than legs of the game. All indications from R* point to them not caring about single player at all.

By pivoting to safe humour. People don't buy GTA for the jokes. GTA5 didn't have the classic GTA sense of humour and nobody complained about it's treatment of minorities really. 6 is going to be like 5 but with more emphasis on minorities, and will sell copies and DLC for the next 10 years
GTA 5 launched in 2013.
The casuals ran the industry back then, but they don't today.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Cyberpunk which tanked, was panned and removed from stores because it was so good?
If not for CDPR being forced to fix the game, it would have been the next Anthem. How well did Anthem or the latest Battlefield flops sell on launch day?

COD, once a juggernaut, had to go F2P because it was losing money.

Diablo 3 sold gangbusters. Diablo 4 was a flop.

Many such cases.

RDR2 sold really well. I remember all of the normies at work talking about it non-stop. Then a week later, silence. Never played again because it was boring.

GTA6 can be polished, it can do everything right, but if people lose interest in it, then it will be a flop. I doubt R* are focused on day 1 sales, rather than legs of the game. All indications from R* point to them not caring about single player at all.

GTA 5 launched in 2013.
The casuals ran the industry back then, but they don't today.
So why is GTA V still selling 5 million every quarter?

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Because it's GTA V.

I don't understand that you don't understand that a game or console can be massively successful and the sequel can be dog shit. It happens.
And that won't be the case as there's never been a bad GTA game since 2001

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
And that won't be the case as there's never been a bad GTA game since 2001
Neither of us know what could happen. GTA 6 could be the biggest game ever, it could not be. But to state that "future game can't do bad because past game did good"....you've got to see how that's a flawed argument? Surely?

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Neither of us know what could happen. GTA 6 could be the biggest game ever, it could not be. But to state that "future game can't do bad because past game did good"....you've got to see how that's a flawed argument? Surely?
it works both way. fearmongering.
at least, saying it will be good has history to support that.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: xollowsob

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
it works both way. fearmongering.
at least, saying it will be good has history to support that.
So I should believe it will be good? Even though history also says it might not be? Let's just wait and see.

I don't believe it will be good (whatever that means) and I'm not fear mongering. Unless someone's ramblings on the internet puts you off of buying a game...

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
So I should believe it will be good? Even though history also says it might not be? Let's just wait and see.

I don't believe it will be good (whatever that means) and I'm not fear mongering. Unless someone's ramblings on the internet puts you off of buying a game...
they last mediocre game was GTA2 in 1999.

last 5 games has 96,4 metacritic score. so how history says it might not be good?

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
For GTA6 to be a flop you'd have to have both the game actually be terrible, and gamers discerning enough and able to wait and see, none of which I would bet on.

I do not think the game itself is going to suck even though I'm not really a fan of the GTA mold anymore. All they have to do is replicate the GTA5 cash cow machine here in a new city and people will buy into it.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Or because Rockstar is self aware knows the standards they set for themselves? So they aren't gonna release a bad sequel to biggest entertainment product of all time? They know what's at stake here hence they are pouring so much money and resources into it.

Now it may not end up being in the best GTA game of all time but it doesn't need to be either lol. It needs to be a great game worth the wait. I'm sure it will be. Everyone in the industry is waiting to see what the next Gold standard will be for a reason.

So how about you check your flawed hypothetical fear mongering arguement before you dare to imply anyone's argument is flawed.