In 15 years where will gaming be?

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Do you think VR will finally become mainstream? Will Microsoft still be around? Will there be another player in the gaming arms race? Just really curious on your thoughts?

I think Sony will definitely still be around and Nintendo in their gaming bubble doing their own thing as usual. I think another gaming company will have a competing VR solution but I just don't know who. Microsoft is a toss up for me whether they remain hardware providers, it's 50/50 imo. I really think however thst investors will get tired of Microsoft gaming and not making the money they think they should be.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
- most non-indie games will be freemium live service offerings
- a handful of companies will own the overwhelming majority of the market (think publishers)
- home consoles will be streaming devices
- VR will be huge, and there will be several attachments to augment its experience

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
99% pf games made are mobile games with touch controls, AI art, AI writing, AI voice acting, AI everything, state of the art monetization and time wasting strategies, procedural generated daily quests, adds and AR life gamefication apps.

Old gen z talking about how good mobile games used to be in the 2020s.

Nintendo still releasing the same Pokemon, Mario and Zelda games.

Xbox long forgotten.

PlayStation third party due to all the GaaS flops, games running on MS terrible cloud solution.

VR with awesome games but still niche.

Last edited:

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Do you think VR will finally become mainstream? Will Microsoft still be around? Will there be another player in the gaming arms race? Just really curious on your thoughts?

I think Sony will definitely still be around and Nintendo in their gaming bubble doing their own thing as usual. I think another gaming company will have a competing VR solution but I just don't know who. Microsoft is a toss up for me whether they remain hardware providers, it's 50/50 imo. I really think however thst investors will get tired of Microsoft gaming and not making the money they think they should be.

• Cloud Gaming will rule the market
  • There will probably be no physical games anymore
  • Every company will have their version of Steam & Game Pass
  • AAAA Games will replace AAA Games as system sellers.
  • A.I will be widely used in game development.
  • VR will be more accessible
  • Less Companies than we have today (a lot of companies will be purchased)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Despite failing several decades in a row, companies will still be talking about Cloud being the future... they will keep spending money on R&D but demand will never be enough to make it viable in any way.

Home console will be dominated by Sony, Handheld / hybrid by Nintendo. Microsoft will eventually buy Steam and have their own streaming service much like NVidia along with Gamepass on as many platforms and devices as possible.

Sony will have 2-3 GAAS games but will have returned to focus mostly on AAA story based games and will expand through a few medium to large acquisitions.

Consoles will still be massively popular and more and more PC gamers will move to console due to the high costs of PC gaming and the limited performance gains for buying the highest end cards.

Pro model will become the norm each generation.

Most people will realize that cloud and other delivery systems will never be able to keep pace with local hardware and it is far too expensive to load all of that iteration and upgrading onto one companies infrastructure and expenses. Not to mention that data centers are so inefficient.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
I thought VR would dominate in 2023. So who knows. Maybe it's just more of the same.

If we go by other industries what I typically see is that there are 2 options,the casual/most popular one or the ultra high end enthusiast one with little in the middle

For example, in music: streaming dominates, and for physical media you have expensive vinyl records and expensive collector editions on CD. Also high end turntables, headphones and hi Fi.

If we extrapolate this to gaming: Streaming will eventually be so convenient that it will become the most popular choice,alongside mobile phones, which will be able to run native PC/console games at low settings. Low settings will still look great so no one will care.

.Leaving high end gaming desktop PCs for enthusiasts.

Anything else will have it pretty hard to find an audience gradually, except older folk. Kinda like Harleys today.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
The great console wars will finally be over, Xbox will rule all of gaming, Sony and Nintendo will be regular third party publishers and everybody.

We will all have a Gamepass subs.

MS AAA games will still be day-and-date on gamepass, but paid early access will be stretched to one or two years.

Gamepass games will offer a lot of extra content do buy in the games, $70 per game will seem like a great deal in retrospective.

But this is all for the best, Phil will be CEO of MS and he will be able to buy the biggest yatch that ever existed because we all believed in him.

yacht GIF

Thankfully, everybody wins in the end!

• haha
Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think MS will continue with their store and GP but not as a console maker, but as a 3rd party publisher in the console side.

I think there will be crossplatform stores (buy a game and play it PC, smartphones, tablets, smart tvs and in case of Sony and Nintendo, their own consoles with cross-buy, cross-play and cross-save) from Sony, Nintendo, MS, Epic, Valve, Apple, Google and Tencent.

With smartphones and tablets becoming relatively as powerful as consoles, most traditional console IPs will also release on iOS, Google Play etc, playable in phones, tablets or tvs with gamepads. Some popular mobile IPs will be also available on console and PC.

If you get one of their subs -PS+ will continue as market leader- you'll be able to play via cloud gaming (cloud gaming will continue being less than 10% of the gaming revenue) the games rented there, or the digital ones you bought in that platforms. I think game subs will generate around 20-25% of the gaming revenue.

I think physical editions of new games will continue decreasing to almost die: there will be only for special or collector editions and won't include discs.

VR and AR will only need normal glasses-like visors, no headsets or controllers required. Will be controlled with intuitive hand/arm gestures and/or voice commands, controlled by mics and cameras in the glasses. VR/AR will become way more popular than now but will continue being sort of a niche, around 10-15% of the gaming revenue. There will be many popular IPs there.

That console generation will the the first one with proper a modern VR bet on Nintendo's side, which will compete mainly against PSVR4 (market leader), Apple and Google glasses plus some Indian ones.

Non GaaS SP games will continue being a thing, but will represent a fairly smaller market portion than now. Thanks to the blockchain there will be a secure 2nd hand market of digital games, DLCs, in-game items like unwanted loot, user generated in-game items (there will be very complete editors or crafting) or even user accounts.

Over half of the big publishers and AAA/AA dev studios we know today will be acquired, but other new AAA dev studios and publishers will keep appearing.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I also think there will be talk of or actual currencies that are universal through a platform...

Nintendo will have its currency, PlayStation will have its and they will work in every game or 90+ %.

The currency could even be used for real world items.... like buying hardware, accessories and other items direct from Sony.