Indiana Jones by MachineGames Officially Revealed | Xbox Direct 2024 |UP| IGN article why dev decided to go 1st person.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
aS17AxO.jpg
Nathan Drake is still fine as fuck. Those Sir Drake genes.

Cameron Diaz Im Gonna Be Wet For Hours GIF

Nothing about this excites me, looks like Wolfenstein Indiana jones skin
It does look like a Wolfenstein cutscene. It's like cosplaying in an alternate safari universe.

Reactions: PS_ROCKS

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Tht Forspoken picture looks better than what i've saw in the gameplays
in forspoken gameplays?
The game looks awesome. Graphics are great. Not sure which gameplay you';ve see but that pic is from gameplay (paused mid combat for photomode).
Game looks like that, took shots quite recently on ps5
XTfwlsm.jpg

EkoDWF3.jpg

qmCpWag.jpg

And check out how good hdr looks!
oztBPDW.jpg

cR1fawi.jpg

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Pretty good Harrison Ford impressions on the voice. I assume its not actually him because his voice doesn't sound as old as he does now.

The vibe seems mostly right for an Indy story but the first person gameplay segments they showed seemed ... really kinda boring. I think the environments looked nice.

I really don't get the first person choice though.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Pretty good Harrison Ford impressions on the voice. I assume its not actually him because his voice doesn't sound as old as he does now.

The vibe seems mostly right for an Indy story but the first person gameplay segments they showed seemed ... really kinda boring. I think the environments looked nice.

I really don't get the first person choice though.
Is Troy baker. I’ve knew immediately. He is great

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Is Troy baker. I’ve knew immediately. He is great
Troy bakers voice too, not just face and mocap? If so that's a pretty, prettttyyyy good impression job. Too bad the facial animation looks weird, because the likeness is good IMO.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Sucker for action-adventure games. Hate first person view for action adventure games, and the gameplay, specially the whip gameplay showed perfectly why first person view is not the right fit for the genre. At the same time if you go third person you're gonna get the Uncharted and Tomb Raider comparisons out the bat. I guess if they went TLOU/God of War third person over the shoulder camera maybe it could have helped set it apart from Uncharted's panned out pov. Machinegames and Zenimax's forte in general is first person view (cheap imo) so I can see how that was probably not a solid consideration. Still imo, the industry and standards have moved on - no studio is outside this pressure environment.

Wasn't expecting Machinegames to match ND - best in the business circa Uncharted 2 - so obv animations are not gonna be there, nor fluidity, attention to detail etc. Not too hard on that - perfectly passable from what I saw.

Clear misses: gameplay, and enemy AI - again the first person view just mucks it all up. Horrible fit imo.

Pulls: Indiana Jones, environments, theme, story.

Hope the game does good as a package, as an Indiana Jones fan. Maybe the gameplay hits different with a controller in hand.... if it flows good maybe it's not a jarring experience as the trailer makes it look.

Last edited:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I still don't understand why they decided to make an action adventure game be first person?

"I can't wait to experience the iconic boulder escape scene... but in first person! Imagine the tension when you have absolutely no idea what is chasing you, where it is in relation to you, or what it even looks like! My skin is tingling just thinking about it!"

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Guerilla Games step away from first person games and went on to make a third person open world game in Horizon. Guess, Machinegun Games didn't want to challenge themselves outside of their comfort zone.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Guerilla Games step away from first person games and went on to make a third person open world game in Horizon. Guess, Machinegun Games didn't want to challenge themselves outside of their comfort zone.
Indeed.

I don't think it should be matter of comfort zone for a project like this. If your comfort zone may hurt the quality of the final product you gotta do the responsible thing and either don't take the project or be willing to go outside your comfort zone and put the work in. I think after what we saw the only redeemable will be if the gameplay doesn't get in the way of the story and the story hits it out of the park. Maybe that way they got a chance - does look slim considering the standards.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I prefer first person generally but melee combat and platforming are more difficult to execute in first person. Platforming can be done exceptionally well now but melee combat still has ways to go.

So what we’re seeing is Indiana Jones be more of a shooter than brawler. Or will it be a puzzle and adventure game? A straight up shooter would be a mismatch for Indy.

I enjoyed the switch to first person with Cyberpunk from Witcher. Choose your own adventure type games where you’re more intimately involved with your avatar’s decisions helps with immersion as does seeing the world in your face as such.

But for title characters that have immediately identifiable silouhettes? Seems more like a botched move.

I have no faith in this. Commercially or with player sentiments.