INSIDE APPLE'S PUSH TO TRANSFORM THE MAC INTO A GAMING PARADISE

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

For those of you who haven't been paying attention Apple is attempting to give consumers yet another reason to dump Windows. It's going to be interesting to see what Apple does going into 2025. They are trying to take a piece of Microsoft's gaming pie.

On July 21, 1999, Steve Jobs stood on stage in front of a packed Macworld Expo New York audience and announced a video game that would go on to influence the entire games industry and turn Apple into a gaming powerhouse.

Half of that promise turned out to be true. The first-person shooter that Jobs revealed didchange the course of video game history — but not for Apple. Instead, Microsoft purchased the game’s developer a year later, snatching up the title for the launch of the original Xbox in 2001.
The game Microsoft “stole” from Jobs and Apple was called Halo: Combat Evolved, and the developer was Bungie, a pioneering game studio for the Mac. The rest, as the saying goes, is history.

In an alternate universe, Apple never lost Halo to its long-time tech nemesis, the Xbox never became a gaming juggernaut because it didn’t have Master Chief, and the Mac — not PC — went on to become the biggest non-console platform for blockbuster games.

No doubt “losing” in gaming for decades has not been fun for Apple. It’s certainly painful and disappointing for Mac users both new and old, who have to buy a separate PC or console to play AAA games. But in 2023, the winds of change began to blow.

With a lineup of Mac hardware that can finally go toe to toe with some of the best PCs (gaming-specific or not), year-over-year improvements to Apple silicon that push performance higher and higher, and more gaming-focused software optimizations for developers and users, Apple is not looking to repeat history again.

Apple has deployed its teams on the map with capable weapons and plenty of reloads. Now, all it needs to do is capture the flag. Easier said than done, but not impossible for a company valued at nearly $3 trillion and used to playing the long game.

“We've got Mac-specific features that you don't find on every other system like our displays, our speaker systems,” Gordon Keppel, a Mac product marketing manager, tells Inverse. “So when I'm sitting in front of a system that is performant, it looks great, it sounds great, it doesn't get incredibly hot — that is a great gaming experience!”

Fast forward to 2023, and Apple has a renewed interest in gaming on the Mac, the likes of which it hasn’t shown in the last 25 years.

“Apple silicon has changed all that,” Keppel tells Inverse. “Now, every Mac that ships with Apple silicon can play AAA games pretty fantastically. Apple silicon has been transformative of our mainstream systems that got tremendous boosts in graphics with M1, M2, and now with M3.”

Ask any gadget reviewer (including myself) and they will tell you Keppel isn’t just drinking the Kool-Aid because Apple pays him to. Macs with Apple silicon really are performant computers that can play some of the latest PC and console games. In three generations of desktop-class chip design, Apple has created a platform with “tens of millions of Apple silicon Macs,” according to Keppel. That’s tens of millions of Macs with monstrous CPU and GPU capabilities for running graphics-intensive games.

Apple’s upgrades to the GPUs on its silicon are especially impressive. The latest Apple silicon, the M3 family of chips, supports hardware-accelerated ray-tracing and mesh shading, features that only a few years ago didn’t seem like they would ever be a priority, let alone ones that are built into the entire spectrum of MacBook Pros.

The “magic” of Apple silicon isn’t just performance, says Leland Martin, an Apple software marketing manager. Whereas Apple’s fallout with game developers on the Mac previously came down to not supporting specific computer hardware, Martin says Apple silicon started fresh with a unified hardware platform that not only makes it easier for developers to create Mac games for, but will allow for those games to run on other Apple devices.

This unified hardware platform approach is similar to what you get with a console like the PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series S/X. With the same architecture, there’s a guarantee that every Mac with a certain chipset generation can run a certain game at optimal settings right out of the box, as opposed to leaving it to gamers to figure out whether their PC’s specs are enough.

“Gaming was fundamentally part of the Apple silicon design,” Doug Brooks, also on the Mac product marketing team, tells Inverse. “Before a chip even exists, gaming is fundamentally incorporated during those early planning stages and then throughout development. I think, big picture, when we design our chips, we really look at building balanced systems that provide great CPU, GPU, and memory performance. Of course, [games] need powerful GPUs, but they need all of those features, and our chips are designed to deliver on that goal. If you look at the chips that go in the latest consoles, they look a lot like that with integrated CPU, GPU, and memory.”

When Apple announced the M3 chips at its “Scary Fast” October event, it touted certain hardware features built into the silicon that were big firsts for Macs. There’s the aforementioned hardware-accelerated ray tracing and mesh shaders, which make games look more realistic with real-time lighting and models with more detailed polygons and textures. But the feature few people are talking about, and the one that could make games on M3-powered Macs and future Apple computers really shine, is Dynamic Caching.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
In 2-3 years, instead of upgrading my PC, I'm ditching Windows for good and getting a top of the line Mac. I have an M1 MacBook Air that I got for work, but it runs all the emulators great plus I played a lot of Baldur's Gate 3 on it and it runs surprisingly well for only having 8gb of ram.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Loop Trump GIF

OSX is barely catching up to linux as a gaming OS, and only thanks to the crazy work of Valve on Proton/DXVK.

Unless Apple literally makes a console, there's nothing attractive about their platform for gaming. It's overpriced and underpowered. Metal is a pointless graphics api.

Losing Steam support is the kiss of death.

D

Deleted member 223

I sense a bit of uneasiness in the air...

PC, that is, the MS led consortium known as "PC" needs all the competition it can get. Any fight Apple is willing to put up, even if it fizzles out is more than welcomed.

Somehow the console market, fractured already into 3 needs a 4th fracture - divide and conquer....... but not "PC".... and somehow, a company that's not even bigger than PlayStation, Nintendo or Apple's gaming mobile division is make or break for everything there is to gaming on the MS led consortium known as "PC". :LOL:

Music to my ears.

Last edited by a moderator:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Loop Trump GIF

OSX is barely catching up to linux as a gaming OS, and only thanks to the crazy work of Valve on Proton/DXVK.

Unless Apple literally makes a console, there's nothing attractive about their platform for gaming. It's overpriced and underpowered. Metal is a pointless graphics api.

Losing Steam support is the kiss of death.
Once again, you astound with your total and utter lack of knowledge and insight.

The Master Race, ladies and gents!

• haha
Reactions: Diah and JAHGamer

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Once again, you astound with your total and utter lack of knowledge and insight.

The Master Race, ladies and gents!
I've never done this "master race" thing. If you think the M2 provides you with "crazy gaming performance", go with god.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don't think the Mac customer base cares that much about gaming. I would certainly be more willing to pay for games if they ran well on the Mac vs. wanting to build a PC for them though. I don't want that Windows crap in my house (sorry, just how I feel).

That said, I also think the Mac customer base would be more willing to pay for software than the ones on Windows. Mac has a pretty strong paid software culture IMO.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I don't think the Mac customer base cares that much about gaming. I would certainly be more willing to pay for games if they ran well on the Mac vs. wanting to build a PC for them though. I don't want that Windows crap in my house (sorry, just how I feel).

That said, I also think the Mac customer base would be more willing to pay for software than the ones on Windows. Mac has a pretty strong paid software culture IMO.
Unreal Engine 4 and 5 games run incredibly well on MacOS, my laptop can run Borderlands 3 at 4K over 30fps with ray tracing and high settings. A lot of other things run well, Metal is a very powerful API.

There have also been some great games released on Apple Arcade, like TMNT: Splintered Fate and Horizon Chase 2, which are both exclusives for now, and Fantasian, which appears to be a total exclusive and is one of the best-looking RPGs I have ever played.

Reactions: Diah and JAHGamer
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Unreal Engine 4 and 5 games run incredibly well on MacOS, my laptop can run Borderlands 3 at 4K over 30fps with ray tracing and high settings. A lot of other things run well, Metal is a very powerful API.

There have also been some great games released on Apple Arcade, like TMNT: Splintered Fate and Horizon Chase 2, which are both exclusives for now, and Fantasian, which appears to be a total exclusive and is one of the best-looking RPGs I have ever played.
Damn I didn't know tht. So Macs can be used pretty competently as a gaming PC for most games? I would love to play some of the Dark Souls mods and we have tons of Macs at work at my disposal.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Damn I didn't know tht. So Macs can be used pretty competently as a gaming PC for most games? I would love to play some of the Dark Souls mods and we have tons of Macs at work at my disposal.
Not sure if there are native Mac builds of the Souls games, but most Intel Macs from the last couple of generations of those should be able to run the first two at equivalent to console settings without much trouble if you install Widows on them through Boot Camp.

Apple Silicon Macs tend to run Intel Mac builds of games without native versions fairly well, but not totally without issues. Even on my M1 MacBook Pro, which was the 13-inch model, the bottom of the line for the Pro, I was playing Shadow Complex's Intel build at 60 FPS in 1080p and low settings.

Any emulator with a native Apple Silicon build will do insane things, like internal rendering at 8k for PS2/GameCube/Wii games on a beefy enough machine.

The one thing anyone looking to come over to Mac from Windows should know is that RAM use on MacOS is a lot less than on Windows, so 8 or 16GB of RAM is fine for a Mac, even though Windows would be bogged down in that range.

Also, MacOS natively supports PlayStation and Xbox control pads, as does the AppleTV. Arcade games even have the correct button symbols based on which controller you are using.

Reactions: Diah and Gamernyc78

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I looked it up its just specific builds. Now it's clear.
I could see support for Intel Macs being sunset, as they stopped making Intel Macs 3 years ago, but Steam is still on MacOS, and apparently games with Mac versions make good money there. Same for Epic, which was a big part of them losing their lawsuit over the iOSApp Store issue.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Oh I don't doubt the current Mac's ability to run stuff. I've built some stuff in UE5 on my Macs. The GPUs in the latest M series stuff seems pretty darn good, and they are adding things like the low latency gaming mode, as I know you know.

Just not sure about the audience being there for the games. We're talking decades of PC/Windows culture you have to fight against in that sense. I could be wrong of course.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Oh I don't doubt the current Mac's ability to run stuff. I've built some stuff in UE5 on my Macs. The GPUs in the latest M series stuff seems pretty darn good, and they are adding things like the low latency gaming mode, as I know you know.

Just not sure about the audience being there for the games. We're talking decades of PC/Windows culture you have to fight against in that sense. I could be wrong of course.
The sub numbers for Arcade indicate the audience is there.

Reactions: Diah