[Insom. Leaks] Biz Update: PS4/PS5 Platform Health — Feb. 2023 | Presentation. Also PS5 Users Spent More Time Playing Single-Player Than Multiplayer.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PlayStation is strongly associated with impressive single player exclusive releases AND it's been extremely positive for them.

Ever since Uncharted, TLOU and God of War, the platform as been dominating, seeing success after success.

So my problem is.... Why distance themselves from that?

Why make these games only timed exclusive? Why don't they make more of them? Why pivot teams to GAAS?
Why ignore your consumer bases preferences and instead choose things based on a few GAAS out of thousands that failed badly?

And also...why try to compete with these massive GAAS that are already on PlayStation? That they already make 30% on anyway....

Why? Why? Why?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Sony sees these metrics and say... That's exactly why we need our own in-house GaaS because too many people enjoy single play games that we can't nickel and dime.

Now bring on the Concord reveal 😁

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

PlayStation 5 Surpasses PS4 in Average Gameplay Time, Platform Retention and Various Other Factors, Leaked Data Reveals​

The PlayStation 5 is surpassing the PlayStation 4 in various aspects. While this might seem obvious, a leaked performance comparison presentation has surfaced from the recent Insomniac Games hack, providing insights into how console owners engage with games

The slides (as spotted by PlayStation LifeStyle) reveals data comparing at 27 months in. It reveals that the PS5 has a higher attach rate than the PS4, at 94% vs. 92% during a comparable stage in their life spans.

The average playtime on the PS5 is also greater by a minimum of 6%, and both platform retention and the percentage of gameplay hours per user surpass those of the PS4.

The current-gen console also boasts a significant attach rate for PlayStation Plus. The presentation delved into the habits of players who are new to the PS5 compared to those who were new to the PS4, highlighting that compared to the PS4, the PS5 exhibits a higher gameplay attach rate and increased average gameplay time.

This suggests that gamers with the PS5 are spending more time gaming on it compared to those with the PS4. Interestingly, new PS5 owners allocate 25% of their gaming time to free-to-play (F2P) games, a significant increase from the 4% observed on the PS4. This sheds light on the growing preference for live service games, with data indicating that new PS5 users particularly favour F2P titles.

Last edited:
  • thisistheway
Reactions: Jim Ryan
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Genshin Impact revenue in PlayStation is at $1 BILLION in its first 2 years based on a Sony internal presentation leak​

General
This is based on the massive leak (among other things) of an internal Sony Playstation presentation back in December 2023.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/insomniac-leaks-sonys-analysis-on-live-service-games-—-full-presentation.1665602/
The presentation sites the timeframe as Game Launch up to October 2022.
Per calculation, somebody else already did it:
MLB The show 2021 revenue: 181.6M
MLB The show 2022 revenue: 143.3.6M
MLB The show 2021 Normalised LTD revenue: 26%
MLB The show 2022 Normalised LTD revenue: 20%
Genshin Normalised LTD revenue: 143%
Genshin revenue: = (181.6M+143.3.6M) * 143% / (26%+20%) = 1.01B
Comment Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/Genshin_Impact/s/tiavBuvcnQ

1705859474522.png

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I've always looked at Sony's gaas approach as a way to get additional revenue because games are taking a lot longer to make, gotta get some 1st party revenue between the major single player releases. I think their good now as far as multiplayer and gaas. I dont see them green lighting any more gaas outside of the original 10 or 12 they said they would. Sony also did this incase they lost COD, that would be over a billion in revenue lost per year. The gotcha games are making up for that though. Ginshin Impact is making half a billion a year on PlayStation and that's from 2022, could be more by now and we not even going to talk about Light Star Rail and the other gotcha games on or coming to PS5. The point I'm making is Sony has already found a revenue replacement for COD even though they are not loosing COD. Bungie might end up being Sony's only major gaas studio and Firewalk if Concord is successful and Firewalk are close buds with Bungie and was founded by former Bungie devs.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony sees these metrics and say... That's exactly why we need our own in-house GaaS because too many people enjoy single play games that we can't nickel and dime.

Now bring on the Concord reveal 😁
Yes, GaaS generating on average more revenue per user (or hour in this case) is the reason of why the publishers like Sony think they should invest more in GaaS