Insomniac Leaks] Sony's Analysis on Live Service Games — Full Presentation

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Xbox tried to chase trends for the entire Xbox one generation and look how that turned out.

You should NEVER chase trends if you're a smart business person, you should create trends if you have the creativity, serve your audience if youre lucky enough to have one, find niches or at least be less predictable and excite people.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Very interesting data.

I wonder why Sony always counts fighters as a separate group regarding live service games. I understand they are a different live service model type, but also are sports, shooters, etc. Maybe they were surprised by the genre and are considering some acquisition on fighting games after having now a gazillion live service shooters?

It's surprising to see that 77% of the PS userbase was still PS4 only in fall 2022. Also surprises to me to see only a 10% of female PSN users and 5% under 20 years old. I assume the father / male at home is the one who puts there his data when creating PSN acccount / credit card info and then his partner or kids play it so only the father is tracked.

It's also interesting to confirm there that action-adventures make most of their revenue in the first year (or almost), so it's understandable that they wait until after that period to put them on PS+ or PC, once they made most of their PS5 game sales.

Xbox tried to chase trends for the entire Xbox one generation and look how that turned out.

You should NEVER chase trends if you're a smart business person, you should create trends if you have the creativity, serve your audience if youre lucky enough to have one, find niches or at least be less predictable and excite people.
When you invest billions on your projects, as SIE or MS do with their games lineup, you must look at the market data to make sure your bets make sense and are aligned with the market to more or less make sure they will work (even if you never know if market will change).

Even when investing with some small project in a certain niche, you make sure there's enough audience for that niche and the investment on that area will be directly or indirectly profitable (maybe not with the game itself but with something else instead like adding variety and value to the lineup and game sub vs the competition to bump hardware or game subs sales or something like that).

When innovating and going to a new unexplored area you also make sure there's an audience there wanting this kind of game maybe because people asked for it, or because that idea works somewhere else (a genre or business model that works in other gaming platform, a theme/setting/art style that works in movies, illustrations or comics, etc).

With investments of that scale to go against market trends is pretty much a suicide.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zzero

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Pure degeneracy, from a company that used to see games as art to this boring analysis of the likelihood that some suckers are going to buy worthless digital crap.

Would an analysis like this have resulted in them investing in games like Shadow of The Colossus, Demon's Souls, GT, Astro Bot, God of War, TLoU, etc?

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Pure degeneracy, from a company that used to see games as art to this boring analysis of the likelihood that some suckers are going to buy worthless digital crap.

Would an analysis like this have resulted in them investing in games like Shadow of The Colossus, Demon's Souls, GT, Astro Bot, God of War, TLoU, etc?

You think there wasn't exactly the same kinds of business analysis every step of the way in Playstation's history? It's standard practice for any business.

Shuhei Yoshida completely disagrees with you btw:
"In the early PS4 days, PlayStation was known to be promoting lots of indie developers and indie games," Yoshida explained. "During 2018 and 2019, the company was focusing a little bit more on the AAA side and Jim Ryan wanted to change that."

It seems to me many of the Playstation haters who post here specifically want Sony to return to the style of 2018.

Reactions: Zzero

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Reminder that Fortnite went from being a failure to being the most popular game out there for multiple years by chasing trends.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You think there wasn't exactly the same kinds of business analysis every step of the way in Playstation's history? It's standard practice for any business.

Shuhei Yoshida completely disagrees with you btw:

It seems to me many of the Playstation haters who post here specifically want Sony to return to the style of 2018.
I want them to keep pumping out AAA games thts what flipped their whole run second half of PS3. It's what made more and more ppl pay attention, grew mindshare and allowed them to come out strong with PS4. Many did not want to miss out on the next AAA blockbuster Uncharted, TLOU, GOW, I don't understand what's the issue with ppl to continue to want that. You dilute your gaming with AA bs like Sea of THIEVES, CRACKDOWN, Redfall you find yourself in the loser position like Xbox.

Last edited:

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I want them to keep pumping out AAA games thts what flipped their whole run second half of PS3. It's what made more and more ppl pay attention, grew mindshare and allowed them to come out strong with PS4. Many did not want to muss out on the next AAA blockbuster Uncharted, TLOU, GOW, I don't understand what's the issue with ppl to continue to want that. You dilute your gaming with AA bs like Sea of THIEVES, CRACKDOWN, Redfall you find yourself in the loser position like Xbox.

I don't have a personal fixed position in this. I would love to see a return of PS3-era, old school AA multiplayer games like Warhawk or Socom. I think Sony can invest in some indies and it's a rounding error on the budget with no downside. I also agree with you that Sony is great at making AAA games and that's the area where they have a unique advantage. Nobody else can execute at the level of Naughty Dog / Santa Monica and only a few can execute at the level of Sucker Punch / Insomanic.

The main issue is quality control. Sony has it, Xbox doesn't. The fact that Redfall was released and Last of Us Online was killed shows a big difference in approach.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I don't have a personal fixed position in this. I would love to see a return of PS3-era, old school AA multiplayer games like Warhawk or Socom. I think Sony can invest in some indies and it's a rounding error on the budget with no downside. I also agree with you that Sony is great at making AAA games and that's the area where they have a unique advantage. Nobody else can execute at the level of Naughty Dog / Santa Monica and only a few can execute at the level of Sucker Punch / Insomanic.

The main issue is quality control. Sony has it, Xbox doesn't. The fact that Redfall was released and Last of Us Online was killed shows a big difference in approach.
Yoshida is in charge of the indies thts where Helldivers, Little Devils Inside, etc come in Sony is still going after them.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yoshida is in charge of the indies thts where Helldivers, Little Devils Inside, etc come in Sony is still going after them.
And you want them to stop this? Those games in particular show how Sony can kind of supercharge an indie team. Even a game like Returnal almost rounds up to AAA when Housemarque has similar DNA to Arrowhead.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
And you want them to stop this? Those games in particular show how Sony can kind of supercharge an indie team. Even a game like Returnal almost rounds up to AAA when Housemarque has similar DNA to Arrowhead.
Who said I want them to stop this? I said I want them to keep AAA games Thyve always had indies here and there. No one is asking to stop tht. Theres an equilibrium tht can be reached. They definitely did not turn around PS3 fortune focusing on indies however they had gd indies like Journey.

• brain
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Give us an Uncharted Online Multiplayer already... After all Uncharted 3 Multiplayer was the original fornite.

Not against GaaS fully it's a necessary evil for Sony... 10 years too late but keep trying one gotta hit.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Give us an Uncharted Online Multiplayer already... After all Uncharted 3 Multiplayer was the original fornite.

Not against GaaS fully it's a necessary evil for Sony... 10 years too late but keep trying one gotta hit.
I keep going back to UC4 from time to time.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Reminder that Fortnite went from being a failure to being the most popular game out there for multiple years by chasing trends.
What are the odds of that, though? There are hundreds of these games and how many did succeed? Several?