Intel lost bid for the PS6 (Reuters)

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
MLID said on Friday that Microsoft was trying to bid intel against AMD and settled again with AMD but are like 2 years behind PS6 now.

32 Minutes in he talks about what hes heard in regards to Xbox.

Being 2 years behind the PS6 in development wouldn't mean it's coming out 2 years after the PS6, but it would mean the SDK and all the software tools will be a lot less developed so all the games releasing within the first couple years could perform worse.

Which is exactly what we saw with PS5 vs Series X, so this is definitely a mistake I could see Microsoft repeating 3 years from now.

Reactions: Entropi
OP
OP
Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
Being 2 years behind the PS6 in development wouldn't mean it's coming out 2 years after the PS6, but it would mean the SDK and all the software tools will be a lot less developed so all the games releasing within the first couple years could perform worse.

Which is exactly what we saw with PS5 vs Series X, so this is definitely a mistake I could see Microsoft repeating 3 years from now.

Lisa loves giving Sony’s work to MS. I see that happening again. No R&D needed, let Sony do the hard work and wait at the finish line. (I’m not being serious)

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Since I know nothing about tech, are you saying that the GPU has no bearing on BC, because the BC is run virtual?

GPU definitely has bearing on BC, but since the games run on a virtual machine then as long as the instructions are compliant then it should run the code.
It should make it easier for cross-vendor GPUs to be able to run the games.

• Heart
Reactions: KvallyX

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If MS wants to maintain its hot streak of making bad decisions, it will probably hire Intel.

Broadcom Qualcomm would be a much better choice, though.

I agree right now, snap dragon/Arm would be the better way forward. I think with snap dragon I feel that would be the better option. BUT AMD's APU designs are way beyond intel, and snap dragon is meant for cell phones right now with no indication of large scale for desktop computing.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Bo_Hazem
OP
OP
Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I agree right now, snap dragon/Arm would be the better way forward. I think with snap dragon I feel that would be the better option. BUT AMD's APU designs are way beyond intel, and snap dragon is meant for cell phones right now with no indication of large scale for desktop computing.

Since the Surface team took over Xbox hardware, and the new laptops are using Qualcomm’s ARM chips, I guess ARM makes sense for the next..er.. Console, or handheld, or streaming device or whatever Xbox wants to make next.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Since the Surface team took over Xbox hardware, and the new laptops are using Qualcomm’s ARM chips, I guess ARM makes sense for the next..er.. Console, or handheld, or streaming device or whatever Xbox wants to make next.
Problem is according to reviews internally ARM version of windows 11 is not ready for prime time?

I just dont see the tools getting to where they need to be in time:

Reactions: Entropi
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman

counterpoint-qualcomm-snapdragon-x-elite-specs-at-a-glance.jpg

It's getting there with 4.6 TF etc.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
Apparently, margins blocked the deal. I’m surprised Sony even entertained Intel, with the company being so ass lately, but that's how bids work, of course.

A dispute over how much profit Intel stood to take from each chip sold to the Japanese electronics giant blocked Intel from settling on the price with Sony, according to two of the sources. Instead, rival AMD landed the contract through a competitive bidding process that eliminated others such as Broadcom (AVGO.O), opens new tab, until only Intel and AMD remained.”

I didn't know that Sony even considered doing this since their relationship with AMD is very good... So I guess it's good that they picked AMD again! (y)

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I didn't know that Sony even considered doing this since their relationship with AMD is very good... So I guess it's good that they picked AMD again! (y)

I personally think Sony should seriously consider making their own chips. All of them are getting it from TSMC and Samsung etc, so why not just build yours without the middleman?

Reactions: YeezyDude

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
I personally think Sony should seriously consider making their own chips. All of them are getting it from TSMC and Samsung etc, so why not just build yours without the middleman?
Well I don't mind them making their own CPU, GPU, NVME M.2 SSD etc. as long as it makes sense and all of the PS4, PS5 etc. games can still be played on that console that might only have Sony hardware etc. inside of it... But dunno if that might ever happen... But I am happy with what's inside of Sony's consoles so far... So it's alright if you ask me tbh! (y)

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
counterpoint-qualcomm-snapdragon-x-elite-specs-at-a-glance.jpg

It's getting there with 4.6 TF etc.

Thats all on paper, and theoretical/computational terflops is not the same as realtime software performance. Currently they run like shit on Windows 11. Which might be more of a software issue. But for these to work, MS would need either a new API or overhaul DX for specifically gaming hardware.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Well didn't the disaster of ps3 happen because they went with a proprietary chip - the cell processor. If they have to build their own chips then they need to license x86 otherwise BC will be a big headache

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Well didn't the disaster of ps3 happen because they went with a proprietary chip - the cell processor. If they have to build their own chips then they need to license x86 otherwise BC will be a big headache

Interesting:

Intel makes a big move! Plans to open x86 license to attract chip design companies to turn to it for contract manufacturing​

Reactions: YeezyDude

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
Interesting:

Intel makes a big move! Plans to open x86 license to attract chip design companies to turn to it for contract manufacturing​

Hmm interesting indeed... I guess we'll see what happens when the PS7 is out as I think it'll be AMD both for the PS6 and PS6 Pro. But I do only think this is a good thing if it doesn't ruin the whole BC thing.