Intel’s new Core i9-14900KS arrives today for $699 with boosts up to 6.2GHz

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
I have both a 1440p monitor and a 4k tv and i prefer the tv every time. The problem with monitors is that HDR mostly sucks on them, even at similar PPI the 4k TV is way more immersive due to taking up more of your fov. Of course that isn't always desirable like if you're playing a competitive shooter but most of the time I prefer it. It's why I prefer playing all my jrpgs and action adventure games on the ps5 even if it performs worse and has lower graphics settings. The color saturation and dynamic range of TVs, especially OLED is just so superior.
The problem with a 4K TV is you're always going to be relegated to a 16:9 aspect ratio and a max refresh rate of 120. My monitor is 21:9 with a 1000r curve and 165hz, it eats your entire viewpoint from left to right so that kind of goes out the window.

I'll give you the HDR thing though, monitors are definitely getting better at that but it's still not up to the same snuff that TV's are. The other aspect of monitors that they are greatly superior in is response time which plays a large role in online gaming particularly shooters.

I mean my TV is great, but for the platform I find it to be an overall inferior experience especially as KB/m kind of loses its luster away from a desk which forces use of controllers.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
The problem with a 4K TV is you're always going to be relegated to a 16:9 aspect ratio and a max refresh rate of 120. My monitor is 21:9 with a 1000r curve and 165hz, it eats your entire viewpoint from left to right so that kind of goes out the window.

I'll give you the HDR thing though, monitors are definitely getting better at that but it's still not up to the same snuff that TV's are. The other aspect of monitors that they are greatly superior in is response time which plays a large role in online gaming particularly shooters.

I mean my TV is great, but for the platform I find it to be an overall inferior experience especially as KB/m kind of loses its luster away from a desk which forces use of controllers.
I think ultrawide is kinda wack tbh. It always looks weird in most games because devs don't account for it. Also modern TVs are 144

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Bo_Hazem

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
I think ultrawide is kinda wack tbh. It always looks weird in most games because devs don't account for it. Also modern TVs are 144
I've yet to see a game that looks weird on this display, every developer accounts for it now even Sony.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Cpu is important because it affects 1% and 0.1% low stutters. If you game at 60fps it's nbd, but 120fps+ dropping to 80 feels bad
That is why I don't game at very high fps. I have a 144hz but in a game like Helldivers 2 I cap it at 72fps to minimize fluctuation, I'm fine playing at 60fps too if the game is more demeaning and if I'm playing with a gamepad I can easily go down to 50 or 40 as well.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
That is why I don't game at more high FPS. I have a 144hz but in a game like Helldivers 2 I cap at 72fps to minimize fluctuation, I'm fine playing at 60fps too if the game is more demeaning and if I'm playing with a gamepad I can easily go down to 50 or 40 as well.
You're also adding latency, you should get a freesync or gsync monitor.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman

You're comparing probably ultra wide forced into 16:9 to what's being explained to you here. I don't game on PC but yeah that wide angle without the funny look of being forced into 16:9 is pretty good for gaming. I still prefer my TV though, just explaining @rinzler point.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
You're also adding latency, you should get a freesync or gsync monitor.
My monitor has freesync, I much rather cap my frames in pretty much any situation and I still benefit from freesync if I'm not hitting my target cap.

I don't play any competitive game where any latency difference would matter.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
That defeats the entire purpose and benefit of the technology lol
I don't think you understand what a frame cap is. I just don't allow the frame rate to go a above a certain target because I don't want a game fluctuating it's fps all the time but in the case I fail to hit that target I will still benefit from freesync.

Most people recommenced you to cap your framerates bellow your monitor max range anyway, I don't know where you are coming from.

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Well I decided to check them out because I don't watch TV so I thought they'd be less expensive since all I wanted to use it for was gaming but nope they're obviously taking advantage of the market

I play PS5 on my 4K HDR TV that's from 2016 and still looks great. I also use it for PC and photo/video editing and it's pretty color-accurate (Sony). Also good for Netflix, OSN+, and other streaming apps.

I would recommend even the cheapest 4K TV from Sony that does 120Hz as it would most likely look better than most monitors.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Explain to me the benefit of artificially limiting your framerate when you have a setup with frame synchronization capability.
I don't want my GPU working at 100% most of the time, I don't want excessive fluctuating frame rates and I don't care if the game is running above a certain target FPS. I'll decide my target according to the game I'm playing and what I feel like my GPU can handle well.

Stability seems a lot more desirable to me than a wild fluctuating frame rate.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
I play PS5 on my 4K HDR TV that's from 2016 and still looks great. I also use it for PC and photo/video editing and it's pretty color-accurate (Sony). Also good for Netflix, OSN+, and other streaming apps.

I would recommend even the cheapest 4K TV from Sony that does 120Hz as it would most likely look better than most monitors.
Don't have any money for a new TV , I'm using a Sony bravia I bought back in 2013 I recently tried my ps5 with my sister's monitor which has a high refresh rate which made me wavy to look for them but it's stupidly expensive

Reactions: Bo_Hazem