Internet Mock Desperate Scalpers Who Must Now Sell PS5 Consoles At A Loss

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Over on the PlayStation subreddit, redditors have declared the end of PS5 scalping with images showing resellers having to cut their prices. It's a far cry from the time when PS5s were going for hundreds above their RRP on reseller sites.

Taking a look on eBay, TheGamer can see multiple listings for the PlayStation 5 in the $450 to $490 range with the latter for bundles that include God of War Ragnarok. This depression in prices is perhaps the best proof yet that Sony's claims that stock for its console is stable are true. It really is the case that you can pick up a PS5 much more easily nowadays, whether from an official store (where you'll be covered by more robust warranties and returns policies) or through a resale marketplace.

And as you can imagine the sympathy for these scalpers is not exactly immense. Far from it. "I hope he has to go down like $230 for people to buy", said one redditor in reference to the captioned listing. "Would be hilarious". The comment received more than a 1,000 upvotes. Another wrote of their experience with one of these sellers.

"I saw a FB marketplace seller doing this same thing! Around $400 as well, just under retail. However, when I messaged him he told me that was just for the listing and they're actually $500", they revealed before dropping the punchline. "Went to the store that day and got one, at least now I have a warranty".

Reactions: Darkknight2149

Mild Conviction

13 Jan 2023
But according to annoying enablers and apologists two years ago, scalpers were just being savvy businessmen and entrepreneurs. Could it be that scalping is simply opportunism for short-term profits? I'm shocked.

I looked back at some of the twats on Twitter who bragged about/encouraged scalping PS5s back near launch, and wouldn't you know, some of them went to the sneaker market, which is plagued with resellers, and others stooped to trying to peddle NFTs. A sad bunch.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Scalper is a risk business…

And to be fair the guy probably made so much money for 2 years that selling consoles now below the price won’t affect him at all.

D

Deleted member 417

$100 loss + $400 gain = $300 profit. I think the scalpers will be OK.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Console scalpers are how I got my PS5 controllers on the cheap, they had to buy all these bundles... so 30% off and no taxes!

Now the consoles themselves? Those who enjoyed the ride for years will not mind loosing on their last order, but those who only just ordered a couple of consoles to sell? They are stupid not to have seen this come from a mile away!

D

Deleted member 417

If they paid $500 for a new console and sold each at $400, they're losing $100 on each console sold. Your math would work if they got all consoles for free.
They were buying them for 500 and selling then for 900, hence the 400 profit.