Is Diablo 4 in trouble? D4 falls behind Halo Infinite on XBL

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Edit: Now down to 44. Status = dead game

Halo Infinite the standard for failure in the GaaS market where as Destiny (currently no. 11) is the standard for success.

It’s been less than six months into its launch window and year and Diablo 4 has now fallen to no. 27 on XBL. Halo is currently ranked 23rd.

Both Overwatch 2 and Diablo 4 don’t seem to be performing as well as they should for Blizzard.

In other news Starfield has trended upwards to the No. 2 spot. Positioning at the link may change later in the day as this “most played” chart seemingly gets updated sometime in the afternooon US ET.

And the answer to the question is… yes, Diablo 4 is not doing what it’s supposed to. At least not on consoles.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Is that due being on Xbox?

In the last month the numbers of players increased around 600k (after a big drop from July to August).
And the average daily players are around 450k.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
The game needs content, was released far too early,

Foundations are strong but developers need to be more adventurous in their vision.

Too many tired and safe systems in place.

4-to 5 Seasons will make it a very good game.

It's a long-haul game.

POE2 is a year away, it's looking tremendous and it's free.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Is that due being on Xbox?

In the last month the numbers of players increased around 600k (after a big drop from July to August).
And the average daily players are around 450k.

If you subscribe to the possibility that gamepass being available has conditioned Xbox gamers to not buy any third party games… while I agree with that sentiment entirely… Diablo is a big enough tentpole release where it’s likely to be similar on PlayStation as well. No idea of how it’s performing on pc.

I also dont know if that tracker is legit. My gut tells me it’s fiction. Their estimates look about right tho.

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If you subscribe to the possibility that gamepass being available has conditioned Xbox gamers to not buy any third party games… while I agree with that sentiment entirely… Diablo is a big enough tentpole release where it’s likely to be similar on PlayStation as well. No idea of how it’s performing on pc.

I also dont know if that tracker is legit. My gut tells me it’s fiction. Their estimates look about right tho.
I don't know how reliable it is but people uses it even in the Blizzard forum.
I don't think it is far away from the actual activitiy.

It shows a big drop in activity in Jul to Aug (around 800k monthly active users) but from Aug to Sep it gained ~600k monthly active users that coincide with the announce of the new expansion.

There are others similar trackers but I don't know is is the most reliable...

Even so they shows big daily numbers too.

Twitch activity shows around 350-400k daily watchers too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I don't know how reliable it is but people uses it even in the Blizzard forum.
I don't think it is far away from the actual activitiy.

It shows a big drop in activity in Jul to Aug (around 800k monthly active users) but from Aug to Sep it gained ~600k monthly active users that coincide with the announce of the new expansion.

There are others similar trackers but I don't know is is the most reliable...

Even so they shows big daily numbers too.

Twitch activity shows around 350-400k daily watchers too.

BS data. Wouldn’t swear by them one bit. These are estimates based on god knows what.

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Update:

Diablo 4 is now down to no. 34 on Xbox charts. Halo holding at no. 27.

It’s dead Jim. It’s currently battling for “best live service fail” of the generation.

Starfield still holding at no. 2. This is good that it’s holding. How long it can hang it in the top 10 is what to watch. Good run so far but I expect CP2077 update to take a chunk of those players away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Diablo 4 doesnt value your time or money.

I really hated what they did with Infinite, but the game at least respected my time.

Infinite still has life on its home platform. I’ll give it that much only.

There’s a lot of live service success/fail FUD spread. Like Sea of Thieves being a major hit… dude it’s ranked 50 on Xbox. I don’t want to hear that shit. 76 does better.

Note that Sea of Thieves has an opposite situation than Halo where its player population is mostly on pc. Point is they’re both at the bottom of the barrel…

Diablo’s performance is kinda shocking. I always doubted its console appeal based on how D3 did. But they did try to make it more of a service platform and when such a big name tries and fails… it means more when they do start dropping.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Infinite still has life on its home platform. I’ll give it that much only.

There’s a lot of live service success/fail FUD spread. Like Sea of Thieves being a major hit… dude it’s ranked 50 on Xbox. I don’t want to hear that shit. 76 does better.

Note that Sea of Thieves has an opposite situation than Halo where its player population is mostly on pc. Point is they’re both at the bottom of the barrel…

There's a couple reasons for that:

• You can only play so many GaaS games.
  • Gaas Games work on FOMO
  • Sea of Thieves and Halo Infinite are on Game Pass, which allows them to retain some sort of playerbase that stayed at the start, but 99% of GaaS games population quit in the firts month.
  • Sea of Thieves and Halo: Infinite have agressive monetization features, meaning only the most hardcore fans support the game
Most people that dont hold long working hours job wont have time to play more than one GaaS games, which is why a lot of GaaS games like Marvel Avengers, Diablo 4 are flopping left and right. No GaaS game players will stop playing a game like Fortnite/Counter Strilke where they already have thousands of hours and dollars invested for another one.

Unless the initial impression of the game is really good, people are not wasting their time with new GaaS titles. Starfield might be a 7/10, but i at least can play wherever i want without an in-game shop remiding me to buy a space bikini for $14.99

OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Halo’s PvP is f2p. It isn’t helped by gamepass. Only the campaign is… not being behind gamepass or XBL paywall is what helps keep it in the 20s year round (which is good). I’d also debate that splitting of PvP from the retail package actually made Halo more expensive and lessened expected content.

Microsoft pulled the plug too easily. All they had to do was release campaign expansions on like a yearly cadence. Same can be said with Anthem tbh. So many of these games come and go and staying the course would’ve survived trash releases like Arkham, Redfall, Godfall, Outriders and the Square Enix dumpster fire train etc…

It seems like a big part of this whole thing is to keep going. They way they pulled the plug of Halo would definitely influence my trust in them. I have none since Bungie left… I mean current Xbox fans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Now at no. 44. Diablo is a week or two away from being considered … a dead game.

PS - Starfield holding on well. Mortal Kombat enters the charts at 12 (sf6 was a huge flop on Xbox and never charted in top 50). Cyberpunk rises to no. 20.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022

458-E9476-A1-C4-4-D9-E-AC75-66-B6-F1-B75-A61.jpg

This is it… Diablo’s final appearance on the charts. Incredibly embarrassing how Fallout 76 tracks more than just a few spots above it. PATHETIC

No GaaS has ever at any point dropped out of top 20, let alone top 50, and ever recovered any kind of strength. Diablo 4 legit… is a DEAD GAME. There’s no coming back. This is not some bullshit game like Fallguys or Multiversus.. this is a tentpole juggernaut release that is one of the forefathers of live service. This is a colossal flop.

Blizzard is in deep shit. They’re toast. Time to break the emergency glass and get started on WoW 2 after both Overwatch and D4 flopped. But they’re clearly incapable of making it.

Not surprised. Phil Spencer’s bizarro world Midas touch turning things to shit quicker than ever. They are perfect for Xbox.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
You’re 100% right, of course Microsoft would buy ABK when they’re at their absolute worst 😂

458-E9476-A1-C4-4-D9-E-AC75-66-B6-F1-B75-A61.jpg

This is it… Diablo’s final appearance on the charts. Incredibly embarrassing how Fallout 76 tracks more than just a few spots above it. PATHETIC

No GaaS has ever at any point dropped out of top 20, let alone top 50, and ever recovered any kind of strength. Diablo 4 legit… is a DEAD GAME. There’s no coming back. This is not some bullshit game like Fallguys or Multiversus.. this is a tentpole juggernaut release that is one of the forefathers of live service. This is a colossal flop.

Blizzard is in deep shit. They’re toast. Time to break the emergency glass and get started on WoW 2 after both Overwatch and D4 flopped. But they’re clearly incapable of making it.

Not surprised. Phil Spencer’s bizarro world Midas touch turning things to shit quicker than ever. They are perfect for Xbox.

Overwatch 2 - completely dead and hated
WoW - completely dead and hated
Diablo 4 - completely dead and hated
Hearthstone - completely dead and hated
StarCraft - who?
CoD - still a massive game but hated and also on a decline

Let’s hope Microsoft/Xbox do what they do best and just kill Activision Blizzard for good. They haven’t been good in 8+ years and they’re just a cancer to the industry. Only game I’ve enjoyed from them in recent memory is Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+ 2 remake.

D

Deleted member 223

Season 2 should have been Season 1.

Will dive back for the final plat push with all the Season 2 content and quality of life fixes. We'll see if it can build staying power until the first expansion with this new season.