Is it me or are a lot of japanese devs having trouble with scaling their game engines this gen?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
We've come so far and people still complain about "bad graphics." Come on. I would gladly take games having reduced graphical output if it meant more objects at once moving independently on screen.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
It feels like a lot of japanese game designers are really having a a lot of trouble scaling their engines up from last gen.

Fromsoft with Elden Ring, Atlus with Metaphor, Capcom with Monster Hunter Wilds, Team Ninja with Rise of The Ronin

Feels like everything graphically impressive we saw last night was from western devs. Feels like a repeat of when the HD gaming era first started
Problem is they are developing on PC and then move it over to PS5, when back in the day all the major 3rd party Japanese games were developed on PlayStation and ported to other systems later. Not only PlayStation but they would build games from the ground up on Nintendo and Sega consoles as well. That is the entire point of wanting exclusives for your console of choice, it used to mean said game was built from the ground up on that console, but in 2023 everything is made on PC's. Capcom made statements saying PC is their main platform now = Capcom is developing all games on PC and not PlayStation anymore. Capcom will still ofcourse get most of their sales on PlayStation but they just cant be bothered to develop games from the ground up on it anymore which is why Monster Hunter looks like crap and the Horizon Monster Hunter clone is going to give it a run for its money.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
What do you mean this gen? There's been quotes about japanese devs finding "HD development" hard for ages, it's supposed to be why Nintendo favors old/easier tech and have split off from the "HD console race" isn't it?

It's why I pump for a PS4 Portable. Sign the Japanese devs to games, and let them prolonge development to at least PS4 Pro standards (if even Series S level is supposed to be a development albatross for normal AA development. Split the difference). It's jap devs Sony need to re-emerge, right? PS4 games still play on PS5's, right? Let's Go!

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
We've come so far and people still complain about "bad graphics." Come on. I would gladly take games having reduced graphical output if it meant more objects at once moving independently on screen.
Ok but what japanese dev is giving that in exchange for bad graphics?

Reactions: nongkris

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
lol exactly, people like to equate having bad graphics with better physics/ai. When this generation we’ve gotten neither.

I’d like to blame it on the rise of Switch and PC ports being needed to recoup investments as to why we’ve not seen developers pushing graphics anymore.

• brain
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
w
Sorry, I'm a dummy. Koei-Tecmo (Warriors.)
wait are you really trying to say that dynasty warriors, the game that is basically the same gameplay for like 20 years, is an advancement in gaming?

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
w

wait are you really trying to say that dynasty warriors, the game that is basically the same gameplay for like 20 years, is an advancement in gaming?
No, I'm saying it prioritizes having many characters on screen at once over improving graphics. And the series definitely has advanced over the years, even if not in the same way that most games have.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
No, I'm saying it prioritizes having many characters on screen at once over improving graphics. And the series definitely has advanced over the years, even if not in the same way that most games have.
Okay, but calling the dynasty warriors gameplay as having "many independently moving objects on the screen" is a huge stretch, the enemy AI is obviously batched and only a few of them activate at a time (just watch the ones hanging around in the back, they don't do anything until the active npcs are killed)

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Lots of releases.

Square, Capcom, Sega, KT has released a shit ton of games in the last 10 years.

LaD got 5 games in span of 6 years, most of them are asset flips but progress is progress.

Biohazard RE got 5 games in span of
6 years

KT also released a shit ton. FF Paradise, Wo Long, Nioh 2, and upcoming PS5 Edo game.

Don't get me start on Falcom.

Calling most of these graphics breakthrough is a joke but there are many.

UE5 would fuck up the pipeline and making games perform worse for sure.

Also Square bit slow compared to other but I would say FF16 looks arguebly better than any Japanese games out there excluding Kojihack's Gruriella engine help. FF7 also look fine(PS5 version looking on par with Capcom REengine released. Also no sight of DQ and KH. KH gonna looks great for sure, DQ never be the graphics breakthrough so I think it might be hampered by new Nintendo hardware.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Lots of releases.

Square, Capcom, Sega, KT has released a shit ton of games in the last 10 years.

LaD got 5 games in span of 6 years, most of them are asset flips but progress is progress.

Biohazard RE got 5 games in span of
6 years

KT also released a shit ton. FF Paradise, Wo Long, Nioh 2, and upcoming PS5 Edo game.

Don't get me start on Falcom.

Calling most of these graphics breakthrough is a joke but there are many.

UE5 would fuck up the pipeline and making games perform worse for sure.

Also Square bit slow compared to other but I would say FF16 looks arguebly better than any Japanese games out there excluding Kojihack's Gruriella engine help. FF7 also look fine(PS5 version looking on par with Capcom REengine released. Also no sight of DQ and KH. KH gonna looks great for sure, DQ never be the graphics breakthrough so I think it might be hampered by new Nintendo hardware.
None of those games are pushing the envelope in technical features or gameplay innovation or AI or physics.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I'd say we have to consider a lot of impressive stuff we saw were cutscenes/CGs.

And also that some games, Japanese or not were started to be developed many years ago, when they didn't have next gen hardware, engines or even the specs. So they started as previous gen games and later they gave some minor next gen facelift.

It also depends of the time and resources of the team, and also where they want to focus (top visuals or other areas), or if they prefer to support low end devices or not.
The major Japanese devs have had ps5 dev kits since 2019 at least and even their last gen games were dated looking in a lot of cases. Rise of ronin has been in development for 7-8yrs and they’ve had access to ps5 dev kits for 5 yrs now but the game looks less impressive visually than ghost of Tsushima on the base ps4.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The major Japanese devs have had ps5 dev kits since 2019 at least and even their last gen games were dated looking in a lot of cases. Rise of ronin has been in development for 7-8yrs and they’ve had access to ps5 dev kits for 5 yrs now but the game looks less impressive visually than ghost of Tsushima on the base ps4.
Rise of the Ronin has been in development since 2015. Will be published with 9 years of development. This means 4 years of development without devkits and obviously without next gen engines. Plus preproduction.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Capcom and SE usually release impressive looking games. They just concluded cross gen period. And Capcom already announced they are developing a new RE engine. SE on the other hand, just released FFXVI with impressive engine and I am sure they will continue to build upon it. Fromsoftware were tech was never good. Their Engine was originally made by Sony in 2005 and Fromsoftware continued to build on it.
Square had some ass looking games recently but those were outside studios like stranger in paradise, Babylon, all their recent big star ocean games, Valkyrie were all pretty rough visually. Even Nier was rough which turned a lot of ppl off. They need to either buy platinum and invest in upgrading their tech or stop using them because platinum graphics are stuck somewhere in the ps3 era and working on garbage for Nintendo isn’t doing platinum any favors because they are constantly limiting their tech to fit sht hardware so they don’t improve.