Is Leaker culture coming to an end soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Seems like with everything happened this week, the camels back has been broken. Leakers are creating extremely high and false expectations around games, and its actually starting to effect the developers. The worst part about the “i think i heard something” bs is that media sites are all quick to report on it like its 100% happening. Places like VGC, Kotaku, IGN, etc. will literally report anything just because they have to reach some weird quota. I could start a rumor tomorrow saying insomniac are developing a AAA Rocket Knight game and that it will be revealed in the next two weeks and 50 gaming sites will run it as breaking news.

I can’t even blame leakers, so many of them have made entire careers from “i heard something” and “ 👀 “ it’s like shooting fish in a barrel for internet fame. Seems like a lot of devs are getting fed up with it though.

Last edited:

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
This has been annoying for the longest time. Harassing dev's who work on a game online is never okay unless if maybe that certain individual did something wrong that deserves criticism. Sony never promised us anything on June 30th and if nothing happened on that day get mad at the leakers and not devs or even fans of the game. I'll admit,, I'll give leaker culture credit for the funniest reaction I remember was when People were so hunger for Nintendo NX leaks people thought a Papa John Tweet promoting something in a mystery box on October 10th, 2016 was going to be the reveal of the NX, that gave me a good laugh! Rabbid fanboys are why people shame us video game fans and harassing people who work a these companies is just shit. God of War's release date not being reveal on the 30th is not the end of the world (esspecially since Sony never told us it was in the first place.) and neither is the game getting delayed to 2023, it sucks but the sun will still rise tomorrow!

Last edited:
Reactions: PropellerEar

EbonyRainbow

They / Them
24 Jun 2022
Some of the things I’ve heard this week are atrocious. While leaks are fun and definitely appreciated sometimes! because they do add some hype and anticipation I would rather wait a little bit longer than to have all this craziness happen. But on that note, I do wish developers gave us more updates along the way once they’re within 6-9 months of launch! Some do such a good job and others not so much………..

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The gaming industry created their own problems with their stubbornness.

Leaker culture wouldn't exist without this new "ultimate secrecy forever" that was done only for vidya. I know more about random movies coming out in 3 years that I will never watch than some games coming out in 2022 😆

Like the whole (troubled) development history of TLOU1 leaked years ago. The head of the studio was even doing podcasts about it in 2020. It was finally announced just last month (and then silence again). Ridiculous that it took this long. A teaser in 2021 with vague info would have been enough.

Same for the PS+ revamp. We knew everything in detail for months. Silent Hill/Abandonned is a real joke at this point. Let's not talk about the Ragnarok shitshow 🙄

I want a job in Marketing. They do nothing.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Leaker culture wouldn't exist without this new "ultimate secrecy forever" that was done only for vidya. I know more about random movies coming out in 3 years that I will never watch than some games coming out in 2022 😆

Like the whole (troubled) development history of TLOU1 leaked years ago. The head of the studio was even doing podcasts about it in 2020. It was finally announced just last month (and then silence again). Ridiculous that it took this long. A teaser in 2021 with vague info would have been enough.

Same for the PS+ revamp. We knew everything in detail for months. Silent Hill/Abandonned is a real joke at this point. Let's not talk about the Ragnarok shitshow 🙄

Very true, it emerged naturally out of the very secretive industry....

It's funny that in my eyes anyway, I see Xbox becoming less secretive and Sony becoming even more tight-lipped.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

It's funny that in my eyes anyway, I see Xbox becoming less secretive and Sony becoming even more tight-lipped.
I think it would be easier to sit naked in Biden office at the White House than knowing anything about Sony schedule 🙄

Everything was so quiet after March, they really wasted an opportunity to talk about their upcoming games.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

This clown made up a lot of things about Street Fighter 6 and Yoshinori Ono, all of which have proven to be totally fake.

Recently Nakeyama, the SF6 and SFV director, said that they started to work on SF6 back in 2018. Back then he wrote a 92 pages pitch with the concepts and ideas of the game and said that until now the game remains pretty much exactly as in that original book, something he said is very rare because typically games evolve during game development due the normal ongoing iteration inside gamedev. Not only the director, the SFV producer also continues in SF6.

We also saw a from verified proper leak an internal Capcom document from early 2020, before the big Capcom leak and the covid lockdowns, that back then SF6 was scheduled to late 2022. Later we saw SF6 and some of the games they had back then interally scheduled for 2022 were delayed to 2023 very likely due to covid.

A couple years before that (when they were starting season 5) Ono said that they expected the SFV to last the aprox. same than the SFIV series and that they wouldn't release SF6 before that, they were going to continue supporting SFV. To last exactly the same would mean a SF6 release in February 2023.

Ono quitted from Capcom once he completed his task of building the Capcom eSports division and prepare super ambitious SFV eSports plans that costed a lot of investment to Capcom (it's CEO said it was going to be one of the pillars of Capcom for the next decades) but were totally destroyed by the Covid. Capcom Pro Tour was going to have dozens of tournaments around the world, SFV was going to be in the Tokyo Olympics, they hade a deal with ESPN, colleges/universities from USA & Japan and also had prepared small local events in the Capcom stores to create small local communities for entry level players.

All these plans got destroyed and didn't know until when covid was going to last, so Ono took responsability and quitted from Capcom after having worked so hard at Capcom as executive producer & guy in charge of the Capcom fighting games he had health issues related to that. The guy (a man, unrelated to fighting games) in charge of the Mega Man brand replaced Ono and now is in charge of the Capcom fighting games too. As usual in GaaS, if a game is successful they continue to support it with new dlc and updates and if not they stop supporting them. Due to the big success of the most recent seasons and the SFV Champion Edition rerelease they decided to make the last season longer and to include there more content than originally planned.

This is the true, what we saw Capcom or Capcom employees said or did or what we saw in their job roles or games. Now compare it with with what the "insider" said:

According to him Ono was demoted and fired, and replaced as director of the game (he wasn't director of SFV or SF6) by "a popular woman very well known in the fighting game community". The supposed reason was because he wanted to make SF6 a 3 vs 3 game that people didn't like and they had to restart its development and delay it from a planned 2021 release to a 2022 release, and that the reason of making the last season longer than expected was to cover the supposed mess of SF6.

Since this leaker clown was right with some of his other leaks (he has been wrong in many more too) many people believed his lies about Street Fighter and Ono, affecting Ono's reputation and some SF fans harassed him due to these fake rumors.

MS isn't less secretive, during recent years they announced games to be released 5 or 6 years later because they didn't have more exciting announcements for the short term because almost didn't have big exclusives.

Sony instead always had a big number of good exclusives and news of other stuff coming in the short term so they focused instead of marketing the short term stuff. This first half of the year they had things like Sifu, Horizon 2, GT7, Ghostwire Tokyo, DnF Duel or the new PS+ so they focused on marketing that. Now they released all of them they are starting to move their focus to the next batch of stuff they'll release the next year more or less:

Stray, Rollerdrome, TLOU Part 1, GoWR, Forspoken, Valkyrie Elysium, Season, Little Devil Inside, Spider-Man 3, Granblue Fantasy: Relink, Project Eve, FFXVI, KOTOR remake, FFVIIR ep 2, PSVR2 and its games like Horizon CoM and the RE games etc. plus all the stuff I may forget and all the stuff they have to be announced for 2022-2023, like most of the PSVR2 launch lineup.

PlayStation marketing team has the best metrics in revenue and social media than any other platform holder ever had in gaming history.

If you beat their metrics with other company I'm pretty sure they'd be happy to hire you.

Last edited:

EbonyRainbow

They / Them
24 Jun 2022
Man I hope so. I have no idea why people still pay attention to Emily Rogers, I think she maybe guessed a Paper Mario game once and has been coasting off of that for years.
Is that how Emily got famous? Ridiculous. I’m all for supporting women in the industry but I am not a big fan of Emily…..I can make things up to!

This is the way. Like why can’t they just be more open. We don’t need to know 3 years in advance either but look at Square Enix with FF7R. They announced it and gave us regular updates. No one was sending them in appropriate pictures!

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don’t think the leak was incorrect… the opposite something happened to the company change the date.

But being serious… leak are free marketing… narrar to fight it why the company doesn’t start to use it as a marketing tool.

Leaker are not a problem or issue at all.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
People used to complain about how sony announced games way too early last gen, now its literally the exact opposite lol

Fans are gonna be fucking annoying no matter what. The problem is game development is getting longer and people just fly through these 50+ hour games in a few days and demand more.

There’s really no other solution other than praying people just touch grass

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
They will never stop.

Games journalism isn’t a real thing … leaks are the closest they can get to actual journalism.

Imagine ever hearing of something called a “movie journalist.” — They don’t exist.

These are critics not journalist. Leakers are fun. It’s better than nothing.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
This clown made up a lot of things about Street Fighter 6 and Yoshinori Ono, all of which have proven to be totally fake.
And here I am thinking about pillows and comforters down as I try to make sense of ikea bedding stuff.
Do I really want silk down sheets or polyester. This is the question

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Unfortunately NO.

These 'leakers' have too much power given by the media AND gamers. They create traffic/discourse and we all know how important they are for the 'business'.

Yeah, Shinobi seemed to be the official industry leaker for the longest time and then got a job with a studio.

Deleted member 38

is unimpressed
21 Jun 2022
I think that people set themselves up for disappointment when they believe a complete stranger AKA "the insider" about anything at all. I don't care much about leaks, games come out when they do and that's that.

And then, when things aren't what they were proffered to be, same people who believed "the insider" are let down... well, whose blame is it then? Didn't your parents teach you not to believe the strangers out there :ROFLMAO:

ParaSeoul

24 Jun 2022
No the usual sites will run with everything these people shit out and gamers in general have short attention spans.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
Is that how Emily got famous? Ridiculous. I’m all for supporting women in the industry but I am not a big fan of Emily…..I can make things up to!

This is the way. Like why can’t they just be more open. We don’t need to know 3 years in advance either but look at Square Enix with FF7R. They announced it and gave us regular updates. No one was sending them in appropriate pictures!
Yeah I remember she said a new paper Mario game was coming before the march 3rd 2016 direct and sure enough color splash was revealed. I think she was pretty well known before that tho

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75
1 Jul 2022
Leakers have a clear formula. You just need a couple of leaks that were right when you start and then you can make up anything you want from your "Sources" as long as you word it correctly with a quantifier.

US release of Mother 3 is definitely going to be announced soon guys.

yewles1

21 Jun 2022
Indianapolis, IN, USA
PSN ID
yewyew1
It SHOULD end at this point, not only are they no longer reliable, but they're becoming just another force of biased propaganda. They gotta go.

Status
Not open for further replies.