Is Sony’s true counter to Gamepass, Live Service games?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
GaaS(mostly F2P) were always the counter to Gamepass.
No. GaaS are the majority of the gaming market revenue and userbase, big publishers like Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo join the GaaS wagon because of that.

Gamepass isn't even the game subscription leader and the game subscription market isn't even a 10% of the gaming market. Gamepass isn't relevant, so there's no need to be countered.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
No. GaaS are the majority of the gaming market revenue and userbase, big publishers like Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo join the GaaS wagon because of that.

Gamepass isn't even the game subscription leader and the game subscription market isn't even a 10% of the gaming market. Gamepass isn't relevant, so there's no need to be countered.
It's irrelevant precisely because it's countered by the dominant business models. Gamepass and PS+ still benefit a lot from online being paid and even that is affected by the popularity of F2P games.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I reject the idea there is any "counter" to Game Pass at all. It's a loser of a service, and you don't need to "counter" losers.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
It all hinges on TLOU Factions for me. The only GaaS I play is COD - and that’s for the game I’ve always enjoyed, not the outfits etc. don’t buy any of that ever. Will Factions be a game I like? Time will tell, the idea of it is a big hook for me.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I don't think Sony really cares that much about Gamepass. They have PS+ and already offering better library of games.

Regarding GaaS strategy, they will release a dozen of gaas games, and then focus on the one or two that succeed. The rest of the developers will then be moved back to single player or be support studios.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
If sony is really planning on flooding the market with F2P multiplayer i think its going to change the dynamic of the industry greatly in the other direction, i mean, if they end up actually being games on par with sonys single player releases.
Aren't Horizon and TLoU supposed to get online components as well? If they succeed it may generate so much profit that it will eventually lead studios to invest less talent and money on their single player games.

I know that many of the artists may want to work on real games, but this who pay them may think otherwise.

Buy yes, this seems to be where we are headed, hopefully there is enough room for both kind of games as bot everyone will play these gaas titles.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
It all hinges on TLOU Factions for me. The only GaaS I play is COD - and that’s for the game I’ve always enjoyed, not the outfits etc. don’t buy any of that ever. Will Factions be a game I like? Time will tell, the idea of it is a big hook for me.
Come play TLOU1 Factions on PS4 Remastered version. I assume the movements and player-experience will migrate over, even if the 4v4 modes dont?