Is the Extraction Shooter genre the next big thing?

How do you think the Extraction Shooter genre is trending? (Choose closest that applies)

• Potential is sky high. I expect it to grow considerably over the next 5 years.

• The genre will grow moderately over the next 5 years.

• The Extraction Shooter market is basically saturated but it'll stick around for a while.

• I think the genre will diminish in popularity over the next 5 years.

• The genre is a bubble and about to pop.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Veteran
18 Aug 2024
I'm just curious to hear what the people of IconEra think about the potential of the Extraction Shooter genre.

Definition: Extraction Shooters are usually PvEvP multiplayer games where the player must reach an extraction point to be able to escape and keep any of the loot they gathered in the run.

Current Titles: Escape from Tarkov, Hunt Showdown, Dark and Darker

Upcoming Titles: Arc Raiders, Black Budget, Marathon

Do you think this genre is going to grow over the next 3 to 5 years or do you think we've already seen it's peak and the genre is on a plateau?

Personally, I have never played one that I've enjoyed but, on paper, it does seem to crazy potential. I don't think any other multiplayer genre can play with the concept of progression as well as the Extraction Shooter. I've heard it referred to as an RPG in which building your character is the main appeal. There's a number of AAA efforts coming in the next two years so I expect the genre to nestle right up there with Hero Shooter and Battle Royale as one of the most successful genres in gaming.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Umm, there’s a variety of approaches to them. Nothing I’ve been particularly interested in since Division 1’s Darkzone.

Helldivers is an extraction game too. 13 million sold and quickly.

They’re slower paced games typically in a PvP setting. From engagement to engagement with enemy players — there’s a lot more time than an arena shooter. Same reason I don’t play BRs. I’d rather just actually be in combat than trekking across giant maps and finding no one.

I will try Marathon even tho we still have no idea what it will be like. Arc Raiders looked good in recent videos too.

Also depends what CoD does this year. DMZ was their first go at it right?

Reactions: Men_in_Boxes

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I hope so because of Marathon but I never played any from the list. Helldivers doesn't count with the samples and the Pelican extraction? Is it the same concept?

Reactions: Kokoloko

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think it's a tough market to succeed in since shooters are such a saturated market already with entrenched games. Really will hinge on Marathon being a success. To be honest it will depend on what happens with CoD. If Microsoft fucks it up badly I can see refugees split off to Marathon/Tarkov/Fortnite/PubG and other games like crossfire. I could also see it stealing a lot of players from destiny. Tbh though I think "extraction shooter" is just a subgenre of MMORPG.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
It depends on Bungie being able to work their magic on making the genre accessible to console players the way they originally did with Halo

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I'm interested in Marathon...

In a wider context, I think it will grow moderately and there will be different interpretations of the idea until something unexpected hits and randomly becomes wildly successful.

But it's never from where you think...

Al Catone

Whiskers
Staff member
18 Jun 2024
I expect it to grow, Tarkov and Hunt have become some of my favorites, the new Hunt update is great.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
The potential is skyhigh and GAAS are the future.

That's how to make all the money.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Its a Bungie shooter. No reason why it cant be a success. I dont think they have released a shooter that didnt do well in either sales/player count (destiny 2) or in scores. Well since Halo 1 anyway.

But undoubtedly will have hate from PS fans who hate Gaas/Bungie acquisition and also the usual PS haters

OP
OP
Men_in_Boxes

Men_in_Boxes

Veteran
18 Aug 2024
I hope so because of Marathon but I never played any from the list. Helldivers doesn't count with the samples and the Pelican extraction? Is it the same concept?
Personally, I don't think you're crazy to call Helldivers 2 an Extraction Shooter. Technically it is.

However, there's very little risk in Helldivers 2 which is a major component of the genre so the purists might scoff at the notion.

• brain

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Im guessing Marathon is more of a PVP extraction shooter, shorter matches?
But yeah I have no idea lol

• thisistheway
OP
OP
Men_in_Boxes

Men_in_Boxes

Veteran
18 Aug 2024
Arc Raiders demo gameplay about to be revealed in less than 24 hours...

Embark Studios about to be a household name.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

peewee78368

Banned
3 Feb 2024

Extraction Shooter are some of the most boring games i have ever playedl ike yo u really find this shit fun. u get all this stuff but no market or anythign so wtf the point is there a base system is there ranking does my base go from one day to the next LOL... THIS SHIT IS POOR BAN BATTLE R GAME​

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If Marathon is anything like Tarkov and A Twisted path to Renown but with Bungie gunplay. I cannot wait

People need to understand, not every game Sony makes, has to be for you lol. Id be happy if Sony made a Simulation game, strategy game, or point and clink adventure.
My favourite genres are Tactical RPG’s like Shining Force and Action Adventure games like TLOU, Uncharted, GOW but I still want Sony to cover a broad range of genres Im not a fan of. As long as they keep making things like Wolverine, God of War and Uncharted