Is this the worst Xbox generation ever? What do you rate this Xbox generation so far

Is this the worst Xbox generation ever?

• Total voters

EightC

11 Jul 2022
I think it's been ok personally, not amazing by any stretch but I've had some fun with my Xbox and game pass has been really enjoyable. I do feel like though they need to find someone to fill a quality/first party control check and look after managing their first party titles in some fashion. I do like MS approach to letting devs make the games they want but there so also be someone in charge other than Phil making sure things stay on path which seems to be something their first party games are struggling with.

I think there is a lot of good stuff there. I really enjoy the BC stuff a lot that is a big seller for me personally, game pass has been a great valueand the rewards system is really nice as well. I do enjoy their first party games more than Sony's as personally I'm not into big story games but that's just a personal preference (I'm old school and I'm the mindset of picking up a game and playing).

They're spending a lot of money in the wrong places right now imo. I think that the Activision acquisition is a waste of money and they should be spending some of that money putting together or funding smaller studios to make some games in their IP catalogue. I would like to see them make something like a new Banjo game like give Rare money to put a team together to make it happen or fund some smaller JP devs to make some JRPG's the Xbox 360 had so many good JP exclusive games and I would like to see that again.

I hope they can figure something out because with the studios they have they're sitting on a gold mine of IP that don't seem to be utilized. For now though I do enjoy my Xbox I'd say they're about a 6/10 so far this gen for me.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Its on track to beat the One, who's notable releases can be counted on one hand.
Series Consoles are selling worse than the xbox one in aligned launch.

Im going to assume Phil Spencer, Savior of gaming, is on contract for X amount of years because there's no other explanation for how he hasnt been fired or asked to retire yet. Countless billions spent and lost. Less markets share than before despite said billions spent. Countless shills on twitter and youtube cant make a dent in the PS5 momentum. An entire division lost at sea whose only goal is buy up as much market share as it can to take away from the competition out of spite.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Series Consoles are selling worse than the xbox one in aligned launch.

Im going to assume Phil Spencer, Savior of gaming, is on contract for X amount of years because there's no other explanation for how he hasnt been fired or asked to retire yet. Countless billions spent and lost. Less markets share than before despite said billions spent. Countless shills on twitter and youtube cant make a dent in the PS5 momentum. An entire division lost at sea whose only goal is buy up as much market share as it can to take away from the competition out of spite.
We are talking games library, not sales.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Yeah, from my perspective. I see the Series consoles selling about the same or slightly less than Xbone BUT significantly, many of those are Series S consoles... which I don't even consider a real next generation / current gen console. It's more on par with the last gen refresh - Xbox One X.

The game output has been rough... a few games did score decently but seemed to come and go without any real impact or hype.

They spent tens of billions on acquisitions but all output made exclusive has really been hurt in terms of quality, sales, impact, popularity and enjoyment by not launching on PlayStation.

The Series X seems to be a well made console, in fairness. They do offer a lot of value on gamepass to people who enjoy their games or are entrenched in that ecosystem.... but it just seems that none of it has moved the needle.

Another few things they deserve credit for... fan engagement and fan service and their relationship building with developers, specifically in Japan... it feels like Sony / Jim took Japan for granted and allowed a lot of moves to be made by Microsoft. They publicly promote how much they are in Japan, meeting different studio heads, doing trips to studios, making appearances at shows etc.

While PlayStation seems to be asleep at the wheel in those regards.

The simple fact though is it's too little, too late and the motivations underneath Xbox / Microsofts moves are malevolent, they always wanted to take ownership of games away, turn the industry into a subscription, monetize everything, kill physical and create another monopoly for the parent company.

"You will own nothing and be happy" - remember that phrase, it's central to how Microsoft operate in any industry they touch.

Reactions: Dabaus

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
10/10 by far.

Game Pass alone is the best deal in gaming and nothing comes close. and after the ABK acquisition is closed. Xbox is poised to be the market leader to delight and surprise gamers. This will pressure Sony to compete and be better

Win-Win for players on all sides

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
As a gamer/end user no, as a corporation yes, they're about to get the axe

GrayWolf323

6 Sep 2023
I voted no solely because backwards compatibility makes it better than the XB1 gen to me (with the Series X being by far the best way to play those games)

as a gen unto itself though… ehhh it’s looking like a toss-up between it & the XB1 gen so far and it’s quite possible it’ll sink below that since I have no faith in the leadership that continues to not get any blowback because their sycophants refuse to criticize them at all so things never seem to get any better

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
I don’t weigh in on platforms I’m not invested in but to say their current gen is worse than Xbox One is a massive reach.

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
They managed to kill Halo
Redfall is a joke
Forza is a disaster
Starfield was meh at best.
XSS pure 🥔
XSX couldn't even swallow a well oiled weiner.

Hope ActiBlizz will save Xbox.
Happy Mood GIF by Pudgy Penguins

No
people tide GIF

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yes.

After the fabricated assumption that Series was doing better than Xbox One the reality hit hard.

It is basically a generation without any focus in gaming… even key franchises are being affected by the lack of interest in gaming from Xbox.

Reactions: PropellerEar