Japan Hardware and Software Sales ( July 17 - July 23 ) FF XVI passes 400K units sold.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
PS5 hardware is selling a good clip, averaging mid 40K's per week. Software sales seem questionable though...so WHAT are people playing on their ps5? Are people downloading games much more frequently now or is it a genshin impact machine? I do think that people are underestimating ff16's digital sales a bit though. It'd be nice if SE or some sales org gave us a clue.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I mean adding digital doesn't change any point made... so for me your comment had no height to me.... I just posted with digital because I thought you was mistaking or confusing things.
But seems you just don't want to see what it is.
I don't want see what? I'm the same one who said this game will struggle to hit 10 million and got attacked on this very forum.

And my comment was a commentary on the post comparing the first 5 weeks of sales to older games which you liked. Everyone knows the franchise has shrunk in Japan...

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
PS5 hardware is selling a good clip, averaging mid 40K's per week. Software sales seem questionable though...so WHAT are people playing on their ps5? Are people downloading games much more frequently now or is it a genshin impact machine? I do think that people are underestimating ff16's digital sales a bit though. It'd be nice if SE or some sales org gave us a clue.
I think imo the best digital ratio for FFXVI will be 50/50.
The launch data of 3 million already told us the digital ratio in Japan can't be more than that if not the sales outside Japan will be too low (and it is where FF sells today... well imagine a digital ratio of 70 digital : 30 physical that will put FFXVI at around ~800k sold / ~1m shipped at launch and left ~2 million shipped to west that seems very unlikely).

Digital sales ratio in Japan should be around 40-50% today.
Even Switch see games with 40-50% digital ratio.

Last edited:

sugarbetik

Banned
30 Jun 2023
Lol a conversation can be had about current FF 16 sales, but I stand by what I said comparing it to past heights is silly.

And sure we can compare those! The same comparison was being made when everyone was also calling FF 15 and underperforming title.
I don't see anything wrong with that because FFXVI wasn't the only game being compared to the past games physically in Famitsu sales thread.

• they're_right_you_know

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I don't see anything wrong with that because FFXVI wasn't the only game being compared to the past games physically in Famitsu sales thread.
We don't know the full sales of the game currently, our first generation where digital is almost neck and neck with physical, our first generation with a digital only console. Do we really need a comparison to FF 12 and 13 in this day and age?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
24 Jun 2022
Pikmin sales history in Japan(3 days opening)
Pikmin 1 - 101k
Pikmin 2 - 161k
Pikmin 3 - 102k
Pikmin 3D - 173k
Pikmin 4 - 401k

Final Fantasy sales history(5 weeks)
FF12 - 2.2m
FF13 - 1.8m
FF15 - 890k
FF7R - 897k
FF16 - 401k

We get it. You're obsessed with pretending to be a numbers guy to hate on FF XVI. Mainly because it's the current big PS exclusive. I can read your schtick from a mile away; what's sad is your obsession in wanting the game to fail or mocking a perceived failure just to stealth console war.

Stop being a console warrior and start being a real gamer.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Sad that Sony doesn't care enough to push the PS5 a little harder in Japan to get the PR from beating the Switch.

They could drive demand up by announcing more future titles.

sugarbetik

Banned
30 Jun 2023
We don't know the full sales of the game currently, our first generation where digital is almost neck and neck with physical, our first generation with a digital only console. Do we really need a comparison to FF 12 and 13 in this day and age?
Yes, we do. If other games got compared to their previous installments, why wouldn't we do that to the FF game as well? The FF series isn't the only series in Japan with digital sales.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Yes, we do. If other games got compared to their previous installments, why wouldn't we do that to the FF game as well? The FF series isn't the only series in Japan with digital sales.

You are comparing FF16 sales to other FF games which had a different Physical/Digital ratios in sales.

Why the hell are you bringing FF12 sales and FF13 sales into the equation?

Honestly why is this even being debated still?

Square have said they are satisfied with the initial sales yet here we are.

The game has sold around 4 million now on a console with 40 million users. That’s 10% of gamers and probably exceeds many Sony first party games.

I understand Xbox and PC fanboys still discussing it cause they are salty.

What about the rest here?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
They are all playing games on PS+. They have the highest per-user hours on PS+ games in the world according to Sony lol.

Also interesting anecdote, me and a friend were co-op'ing Alienation the other day and the ingame stats show Japan as having the highest collective score/killcount of all tracked countries.

• fire

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
We get it. You're obsessed with pretending to be a numbers guy to hate on FF XVI. Mainly because it's the current big PS exclusive. I can read your schtick from a mile away; what's sad is your obsession in wanting the game to fail or mocking a perceived failure just to stealth console war.

I think it's Nautilus from GAF. Exact same obsession with downplaying Playstation sales by comparing it to Nintendo in Japan 🤡

• thinking_hard
Reactions: arvfab

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
Better for you?

5 Weeks
FFXVI: ~700k
FFVIIR: ~1.3m
FFXV: ~1.3m
FFXIII: ~2.3m
FFXII: ~2.15m

🤷‍♂️
There's no way at all that XIII had such high digital sales in its first five weeks. Not only digital on console was in infancy, but the game was extremely big for the standard of the time, making the download a pretty inconvenient perspective vs the disk

• brain

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023

Obsessed or not, I think that the sales numbers of FF in Japan are worrying, and I don't mean specifically this entry, but as a general trend, that this entry confirm/ doesn't do anything to dispel. It's a bit sad, frankly, I had higher hope for this entry in particular, but maybe the choise to be more" mature" limited its appeal in Japan ?

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
Obsessed or not, I think that the sales numbers of FF in Japan are worrying, and I don't mean specifically this entry, but as a general trend, that this entry confirm/ doesn't do anything to dispel. It's a bit sad, frankly, I had higher hope for this entry in particular, but maybe the choise to be more" mature" limited its appeal in Japan ?
This is for square to worry, not us.
The game is one of the best I’ve ever played.

• fire

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
This is for square to worry, not us.
The game is one of the best I’ve ever played.
I didn't like as much as you, even if I still consider it the best FF since X and generally a great game, but I consider a little silly to have this kind of rebuttal in a sales thread. Of course that we worry or not about the sales isn't changing anything , but what is the point of being in a thread like this if you are disinterested at the commercial result of the game.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I didn't like as much as you, even if I still consider it the best FF since X and generally a great game, but I consider a little silly to have this kind of rebuttal in a sales thread. Of course that we worry or not about the sales isn't changing anything , but what is the point of being in a thread like this if you are disinterested at the commercial result of the game.
FFXVI sales is sensible subject in that forum... people can't handle it very well.
Commercial success and game being great is not mutually exclusives.