Japan Hardware and Software Sales ( May 8 - May 14, 2013 )

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
PS5 sales aren’t very good at all compared to Nintendos.

I know you're a desperate troll, but here's something to consider:
  • The demographics for the switch and the PS5 / Xbox are not the same. Some may overlap, but the switch leans more heavily on the younger audience
  • The switch is cheaper. It's actually ~ half the price of a PS5
With that into account, the PS5 is doing great. On the contrary, the Xbox is being outsold by the PS5 all over the world. In Japan it's a 150:1 ratio.

So please, spare us your concern trolling.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Lol @ these poor schmucks. I’ve always been Nintendo #1, but it’s not even worth debating because Nintendo dominates anything Sony can do.

but lol @ Sony fanboys getting angry over Nintendo’s domination. Bu but we are better than Xbox!!!!1

Pathetic 🤣
I've sorta been Nintendo number 1 (I just tend to like their best games the most out of anything, they still produce plenty of stuff I'm not interested in) but Sony has had a higher number of good games on their systems without question.

And your attitude reflects poorly on being a Nintendo fan. Bummer.

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
  • The demographics for the switch and the PS5 / Xbox are not the same. Some may overlap, but the switch leans more heavily on the younger audience
  • The switch is cheaper. It's actually ~ half the price of a PS5
With that into account, the PS5 is doing great. On the contrary, the Xbox is being outsold by the PS5 all over the world. In Japan it's a 150:1 ratio.

So please, spare us your concern trolling.
The average age of a PS player and Switch owner are both 20-30. Wrong.

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
Its funny how he always whines about sony, but never says anything about the truly disastrous Xbox numbers.
Well, I find pretty excusable for anyone to forget that XBox Series even exist : after all, it is fighting for sale position with consoles that have reached their end of the life

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Its funny how he always whines about sony, but never says anything about the truly disastrous Xbox numbers.

Because Xbox is dead in Japan.

Playstation need a constant sell of games like FF16, Dragon Quest, Ghost of Tsushima, Monster Hunter, Harry Potter etc to have good numbers and not lose to Switch

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Lol @ these poor schmucks. I’ve always been Nintendo #1, but it’s not even worth debating because Nintendo dominates anything Sony can do.

but lol @ Sony fanboys getting angry over Nintendo’s domination. Bu but we are better than Xbox!!!!1

Pathetic 🤣

Nintendo Handheld that is. Japan or Nintendo fans arent that loyal when it comes to Nintendo Home consoles.

N64 - Got outsold by Sega Saturn and Playstation in Japan.
Gamecube Got outsold by PS2 in Japan
Wii only sold 2 million more than PS3 despite being much cheaper. Nintendo biggest selling home console and the wrost selling Playstation.
Wii U barely sold in Japan and no1 cared about it apart from hardcore fans like myself.

Thats 3 out of 4 consoles Just didnt sell well enough. Like worse than Xbox and 10million…

Japan only cares about Nintendo if there device can be played via handheld

Last edited:

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
The average age of a PS player and Switch owner are both 20-30. Wrong.

And yet that doesn't mean the demographic is the same. I know it's hard to grasp, but you can do it if you try enough, I believe in you

• haha
Reactions: Gediminas

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Nintendo says its average customer age is 20 to 30. Try again.

Nintendo Handheld that is. Japan or Nintendo fans arent that loyal when it comes to Nintendo Home consoles.

N64 - Got outsold by Sega Saturn and Playstation in Japan.
Gamecube Got outsold by PS2 in Japan
Wii only sold 2 million more than PS3 despite being much cheaper. Nintendo biggest selling home console and the wrost selling Playstation.
Wii U barely sold in Japan and no1 cared about it apart from hardcore fans like myself.

Thats 3 out of 4 consoles Just didnt sell well enough. Like worse than Xbox and 10million…

Japan only cares about Nintendo if there device can be played via handheld
Hmm, yes, 3 out of 4. Too bad Nintendo has actually released 7, plus, since we're going that far back, they had by far Japan's best selling pong clone. Here's Nintendo's actual home console track record:

Color TV Game: 1st
Famicom: 1st
Super Fami: 1st
N64: 3rd
GCN: 2nd
Wii: 1st
Wii U: 2nd
Switch: 1st

Yeah, wow, they finished "last" (there were actually more than three competitors that gen) once and second twice, Japan sure doesn't give a shit about Nintnedo home consoles. And oh shit, 4 of the top six home consoles, ever, in Japan are from Nintendo. But I guess they don't care. Playstation 1 and 2 being the remaining 2 surely makes up for the fact that Switch has beaten both of them.

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

• Nintendo says its average customer age is 30. Try again.
Is that for the owners of the switch, or the age of the accounts on them? Plenty of people buy a switch for their kids, but the "owner" is the person who bought it.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Is that for the owners of the switch, or the age of the accounts on them? Plenty of people buy a switch for their kids, but the "owner" is the person who bought it.
A quick google says its "game players" so I would assume Nintendo account owners.

• Informative
Reactions: anonpuffs

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Hmm, yes, 3 out of 4. Too bad Nintendo has actually released 7, plus, since we're going that far back, they had by far Japan's best selling pong clone. Here's Nintendo's actual home console track record:

Color TV Game: 1st
Famicom: 1st
Super Fami: 1st
N64: 3rd
GCN: 2nd
Wii: 1st
Wii U: 2nd
Switch: 1st

Yeah, wow, they finished "last" (there were actually more than three competitors that gen) once and second twice, Japan sure doesn't give a shit about Nintnedo home consoles. And oh shit, 4 of the top six home consoles, ever, in Japan are from Nintendo. But I guess they don't care. Playstation 1 and 2 being the remaining 2 surely makes up for the fact that Switch has beaten both of them.

What were the 2other consoles Wii U competed with To be 2nd?

And Switch is a hybrid that can be played at home and portable. The same games came out for the Wii U and they werent arent treated equally.

I was kinda talking about home consoles and how they’ve in Japan since PS came into the market. Yeah they beat Sega 3/4 times in Japan, but since the Snes, there home console numbers in Japan havent been top most times.

Anyway, don’t know why your getting so defensive about. I love Nintendo, Ive owned every Nintendo Console and handheld.
But non hardcore fans “switch” on them pretty quick. Hardcore fans like myself will always buy, but outside of 10% die hard fans, the rest are less loyal than xbox ps fans When it comes to home consoles.

Last edited:

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022

Average demographic is not the whole demographic. A 5 year old could understand this. A 5 year old with microcephaly.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Plenty of parents buy their kids PS5s.
Far less than the ones that buy switches. Switch can be had for $200. Not nearly as many parents are shelling out $500 for their kids, or if they do they're going to be sharing, whereas each kid can have their own switch.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Considering Nintendo had to cannibalise their dedicated handheld business to stay relevant, I wouldn't be celebrating so hard if I was a Nintendo fan. They had 100 million Wii consoles and 150 million NDS handhelds sold in a single gen, and they're now down to half that with the Switch this gen.