Jaremy Rich leaves Bungie to become Sony’s Head of Product Managament for Live Service

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Jaremy Rich is leaving Bungie after 7.5 years … moving upwards to Sony Interactive Entertainment as new head of Product Managament for Live Service. This move shows us further integration of Bungie into Sony.

GKRTqBSbcAAJp70

Ben Lewis will also be leaving bungie as has been Destiny 2’s communications director. I’m not sure what this entails as I can’t remember him having a public face within the company. We of course also wish him the best of luck on his future endeavors.

Thanks to Destiny Bulletin for the update!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Sort of a big deal. Of course it doesn’t fit doomer narratives so won’t make the same kind of rounds.

Streamlining and integrating their live service talent accordingly sounds like a wise move at face.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Disguting, Bungie infecting Playstation.

First thing they'll do is turn Helldivers 2 into a chore and inject as much fomo as possible in it.

Last edited:
  • sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Jaremy Rich is leaving Bungie after 7.5 years … moving upwards to Sony Interactive Entertainment as new head of Product Managament for Live Service. This move shows us further integration of Bungie into Sony.

GKRTqBSbcAAJp70

Ben Lewis will also be leaving bungie as has been Destiny 2’s communications director. I’m not sure what this entails as I can’t remember him having a public face within the company. We of course also wish him the best of luck on his future endeavors.

Thanks to Destiny Bulletin for the update!

Sony still taking live service very seriously with fair games, marathon and concord all possible launching in the next couple yrs as well as the bend game and ghost 2 multiplayer mode.good to see they aren't listening to the haters crying about they don't want gaas. Narrowing their focus on those gaas as well as helldivers2 will allow them to go all in on those games in turns of marketing launching new content and providing the publisher with best multiplayer experiences in the industry.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
While Sony is at it cancel the Xbox version of Marathon & make it PS & PC. Also make Destiny reboot/Destiny 3 PS & PC ensure there quality & maybe the acquisition wasn’t all to bad
I think Sony will make Bungie drop Xbox when they take over their board which will happen in a few months if the Funal Shape flops.

Reactions: Puff and Luffy123
24 Jun 2022
Sony still taking live service very seriously with fair games, marathon and concord all possible launching in the next couple yrs as well as the bend game and ghost 2 multiplayer mode.good to see they aren't listening to the haters crying about they don't want gaas. Narrowing their focus on those gaas as well as helldivers2 will allow them to go all in on those games in turns of marketing launching new content and providing the publisher with best multiplayer experiences in the industry.

I don't know about others but I was never complaining about them making GAAS as in not wanting them to do GAAS. What I don't want (and this likely goes for many) is for Sony to prioritize GAAS at the expense of their non-GAAS titles. The suggested funding allocations between GAAS and non-GAAS for future FYs suggested the former would get the lion's share of budgeting, which didn't sit well with me.

Although, we also never got absolute budget numbers for those FY fundings of titles, so 40% of say $2 billion is a lot more towards non-GAAS in general than 40% of $500 million.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think Sony will make Bungie drop Xbox when they take over their board which will happen in a few months if the Funal Shape flops.
One of the reasons Sony bought Bungie is to get money from other platforms like rival consoles. This is why they kept them multiplatform.

Sony is expanding to other platforms because the money they make on their console soon won't be enough to self-fund/keep profitable their not top selling AAA fist party games (Days Gone, Death Stranding, Bloodborne level).

They also need as much as revenue from Bungie to recoup the investment or their acquisition, and to help with the profitability of the whole SIE.

It would be really stupid to make Bungie console exclusive, they won't do it. They'll want to bring Bungie to more platforms, not to less.

I don't know about others but I was never complaining about them making GAAS as in not wanting them to do GAAS. What I don't want (and this likely goes for many) is for Sony to prioritize GAAS at the expense of their non-GAAS titles. The suggested funding allocations between GAAS and non-GAAS for future FYs suggested the former would get the lion's share of budgeting, which didn't sit well with me.

Although, we also never got absolute budget numbers for those FY fundings of titles, so 40% of say $2 billion is a lot more towards non-GAAS in general than 40% of $500 million.
Remember that even if they'll invest more money on GaaS, non-GaaS titles will receive more investment than before. And also the majority of their "more than" 25 games under development -even more now having cancelled a few GaaS- aren't GaaS.

Their expansion on GaaS isn't being made at the expense of their non-GaaS titles. In the same way that their expansion to PC or mobile (or the movies/tv show stuff) isn't being made at the expense of their output on console.

It's mostly additional budgets, people and teams put on top of what they already had, they are also have been growing their investments (including also acquisitions and hirings, even creating new teams) on developing non-GaaS games for console.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vertigo

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Bungie’s language was to support their fanbase wherever they play their games. Xbox becoming a dead platform is Xbox’s own doing. So be it…

Switch 2 support for Destiny 2 is quite possible. Well… aside from rumors of them dropping last gen in 2026.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It actually makes sense to cut Xbox from Bungie's releases as a cost saving measure. There's no way sales on that dead platform justify development and support. Put them all on (or replace them all with) a mobile port team.
Sony doesn't have it in them, they are lead by weak men, too afraid to do anything that could be perceived as bad by the media/Xbots.