Jason Schreier has disputed Silknight’s claims that Sucker Punch were going to reveal Ghost of Tsushima 2 last year.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I've already settled on this being my last playstation generation, it's been disappointment after disappointment this whole time.

I can just go full PC next gen and play all the Sony PC ports with more features and free online.

Zero point in owning a ps5 pro or ps6
I wish I believed enough to be comfortable upgrading to a PS5 Pro since I like the hardware but Sony just keeps letting me down and I would feel like a sucker supporting them further at this point.

It sucks because PC has no support for physical media, my hope is Nintendo stealing PlayStation market share at this point.

Reactions: Box

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I've already settled on this being my last playstation generation, it's been disappointment after disappointment this whole time.

I can just go full PC next gen and play all the Sony PC ports with more features and free online.

Zero point in owning a ps5 pro or ps6
This is definitely their worst generation, but I will continue with Playstation. Consoles are more convenient to me. Hence, I will buy the pro.
I can see many people leaving Playstation next generation.

Reactions: Box
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
More rumors and threads are a good thing. If they have a degree of credibility.

Forums exist to discuss such things. They thrive on them.
This is all about credibility not the amount of threads. Thts my angle, you call out what isn't credible and what is so we know what to expect. A thousand threads with false rumors isn't worth shit as opposed to two with credible info. Luckily this guy has been spot on generally.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
This is all about credibility not the amount of threads.
you write this while you have thread name like

''Jason Schreier has disputed Silknight’s claims that Sucker Punch were going to reveal Ghost of Tsushima 2 last year.''

so how he disputed, because he said so?
i just need to look at Playstation last few years and yeah, Silknight is right.

Ghost of Tsushima could have announced and it wasn't which also was true, it wasn't announced.
yet, it is part of the sentence and if they will announce it, what then? still not credible?

plus, it is very logical not announced it, if Team Ninja decided release Rise of the Ronin. it would be logical conclusion to announce it after release of RotR?

this is just Schreier marking his territory.

Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

''Jason Schreier has disputed Silknight’s claims that Sucker Punch were going to reveal Ghost of Tsushima 2 last year.''​

Ghost of Tsushima could have announced and it wasn't which also was true, it wasn't announced.

yet, it is part of the sentence and if they will announce it, what then? still not credible?

plus, it is very logical not announced it, if Team Ninja decided release Rise of the Ronin. it would be logical conclusion to announce it after release of RotR?

They will do what they do. My point still stands regardless of anyone's feelings. Like I said luckily he has been right on many things but when things are off or not a credible rumor we also need to know. I take none of these dudes at 100% face value but some ppl do.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

''Jason Schreier has disputed Silknight’s claims that Sucker Punch were going to reveal Ghost of Tsushima 2 last year.''​

Precisely, Shreier wan't to have a monopoly on privileged information.

I have nothing against him but I don't like these public disputes and trying to ruin other peoples image etc.

Reactions: Vertigo

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

During almost around a decade ago, Sony announced almost all the games of their IPs maximum around a year and a half away from their planned release. AAA games now take 5-9 years to be made.

Assuming GoT2 was started in late 2020 or late 2021, that mean a release between late 2025-late 2030, and then there's the covid related delays. So more likely, being optimistic minimum a late 2025/early 2026 release.

And taking the maximum distance in recent years between release and announcement to get the earliest possible announcement, we'd get a summer 2024 announcement. The announcement window pretty likely should be between this May/June showcase and an announcement in 2029/2030.

So pretty likely, Sony never considered to announce it this year and even less in the previous year. Specially when as you mention the promotion could have overshadow Rise of the Ronin, and could also have impacted AC Red, which as always will sell a lot in PlayStation making a lot of money for Sony.

I think they'll let Ronin and Red sell, and won't show GoT2 until some time after AC Red release. They also have a movie in early stages of production, so a few years from being released, which I assume they'll try to release around the same timeframe than GoT2.

I think that if still possible to see a teaser announcement this year -maybe in TGS due to the setting of the game, and GoT1 having been specially popular in Japan-, but I think it's way more likely to see the GoT2 announcement in 2025-2026.

• Informative
Reactions: panda-zebra

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
During almost around a decade ago, Sony announced almost all the games of their IPs maximum around a year and a half away from their planned release. AAA games now take 5-9 years to be made.

Assuming GoT2 was started in late 2020 or late 2021, that mean a release between late 2025-late 2030, and then there's the covid related delays. So more likely, being optimistic minimum a late 2025/early 2026 release.

And taking the maximum distance in recent years between release and announcement to get the earliest possible announcement, we'd get a summer 2024 announcement. The announcement window pretty likely should be between this May/June showcase and an announcement in 2029/2030.

So pretty likely, Sony never considered to announce it this year and even less in the previous year. Specially when as you mention the promotion could have overshadow Rise of the Ronin, and could also have impacted AC Red, which as always will sell a lot in PlayStation making a lot of money for Sony.

I think they'll let Ronin and Red sell, and won't show GoT2 until some time after AC Red release. They also have a movie in early stages of production, so a few years from being released, which I assume they'll try to release around the same timeframe than GoT2.

I think that if still possible to see a teaser announcement this year -maybe in TGS due to the setting of the game, and GoT1 having been specially popular in Japan-, but I think it's way more likely to see the GoT2 announcement in 2025-2026.
Reality: GoT2 gets announced in 2024 and releases 2027 or even later.

24 Jun 2022

Why would they wait until AC Red to show GoT 2? That doesn't make any sense. AC Red is Ubisoft's game and SIE aren't beholden to hold off on an announcement of their game just because a 3P is making a vaguely similar game. If Got 2 is scheduled for a 2025-2026 release date, and considering they're porting the first game to PC next month, I don't see any issue with them revealing GoT 2 at a Showcase this year, particularly if they want to get some hype moving 1P-wise for PS5 Pro's release later in 2024.

That is to say, if they have a game like GoT 2 that's two years out from release, and they have a PS5 Pro coming late this year, and they need a big 1P game or two in order to guarantee drive continued hype for the mid-gen refresh (relying solely on 3P games for this would not be wise, and akin to what Microsoft tried doing to sell the Series X at the start of this generation), then show the game off this year. Not 2025, certainly not 2026.

SIE need to let their enthusiasts fans know what's coming and have a better cadence at that, especially when many of those same fans can see all of these current games getting ports to other platforms while those same 1P haven't been releasing or showing off new exclusives for PS5 to counterbalance that. It will be especially crucial for new hardware, but refreshes and future PlayStation consoles.

Also, brief aside but tied to this: I don't think SIE are nearly as adverse to revealing games early anymore as some think, so I do believe certain insiders like that Silknight person might've been right. PHYSINT is a SIE co-developed game, it's basically a 1P property, and they revealed it this year back in February when it's likely not releasing until 2030. Everyone loved the reveal, they gave just enough to give an idea early on while leaving plenty to show off later down the line.

So it's very possible they (SIE) could at least return to doing reveals 2 years out from release, maybe 3 years out for specific titles. If they get back to doing 1P AA titles, most of those could probably due with reveals around one year before release at most.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Why would they wait until AC Red to show GoT 2?
The main revenue source for Sony is the revenue they get from 3rd parties, and Ubisoft is one of their main partners and AC their best selling IP, with over 20M copies per recent main title. Big seller 3P games are very important for Sony and are considering in their marketing strategy.

In fact, most years Sony has minimum one Ubisoft game with signed marketing deal (as last year with Avatar). So a big mainline AC, specially the one with the setting most people (including Yves Guillemot, whose suggestion got ignored by the team over a decade) have been asking in the AC history.

I don't remember if AC Red is one of the 2024 marketing deals that Sony has, but in any case AC Red is going to generate a lot of money for Sony via Sony's revenue share from sales+MTX and later with game subs.

Pretty likely, when scheduling and coordinating their marketing roadmaps they agreed to avoid competing between Sony and Ubisoft samurai games: until the end of this fiscal year, they only market gameplay of Ronin, with the ACR and GoT2 gameplay reveals scheduled for somewhere after Ronin release. Then from now until release late 2024/early 2025, AC Red gets the full marketing focus regarding and GoT2. And then somewhere after the AC Red release (maybe months, maybe years) GoT2 gets revealed and gets the full marketing focus regarding PS feudal Japan games.

If Got 2 is scheduled for a 2025-2026 release date
I think a late 2025 or early 2026 would be the most optimistic case (quicker development, shorter games, no delays, no covid affecting the studio, no MP mode, etc.), and late 2030 the most pessimistic one.

I think is more likely that the planned release is be somewhere in the middle. Maybe a late 2027/early 2028 release as PS6 launch game.

considering they're porting the first game to PC next month, I don't see any issue with them revealing GoT 2 at a Showcase this year, particularly if they want to get some hype moving 1P-wise for PS5 Pro's release later in 2024.
I think Sony won't want to hype the PS5 Pro before its release with games to be released maybe up to 2-6 years in the future.

I think that if they use games to hype the PS5 Pro before release, they'll use already released games, or games to be released late this year or early next year, which I bet won't be the case of GoT2.

I think they plan to release GoT2 relatively close to the movie, not to the PC port. I also think that won't make big discounts or price cut of the PC port until around the GoT2 announcement.

That is to say, if they have a game like GoT 2 that's two years out from release, and they have a PS5 Pro coming late this year
I think very likely Concord and Marathon will sell more than GoT2 and will be way closer to PS5 Pro release. They also will release games like Death Stranding 2 next year.

I don't think SIE are nearly as adverse to revealing games early anymore as some think
It would be interesting to make a list of their games released in the last 10 years, mentioning the time between their anouncement and their original announced release date (not counting delays added later), separating these groups, because I think each group has a separate range:
  • New Marvel games
  • New MLB gaames
  • Internally developed games with IP not owned by Marvel or MLB
  • 2nd party games
  • PS5 remasters/remakes
  • PC ports of old games

PHYSINT is a SIE co-developed game, it's basically a 1P property, and they revealed it this year back in February when it's likely not releasing until 2030.
Yes, Physint won't start its development until DS2 gets released. Meaning, Physint pretty likely will be released somewhere between 2030-2034. It is one of the rare exceptions where in recent years Sony announced a very distant game, as also happened with Wolverine.

So it's very possible they (SIE) could at least return to doing reveals 2 years out from release, maybe 3 years out for specific titles. If they get back to doing 1P AA titles, most of those could probably due with reveals around one year before release at most.
I may be wrong, but I'd say that with a few exceptions all -or most- Sony published games announced in a least the last 8 years or so were announced under 2 years before their release date planned at the moment of the announcement. In fact I'd say under a year and a half.

Meaning, I bet that -unless there's an exception with a teaser- all games to be shown in this May/June showcase would be games planned to be released in 2024 and 2025, maybe maximum Q1 2026.