Jedi Survivor was disappointing (Opinion) (Some mild spoilers)

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
star-wars-jedi-survivor.jpg

I am currently on new game+ , continuing to evaluate and reflect on the game but as it stands, I have found the game to be fun but not really great.

Graphics and level design

When I started up the game I was impressed by the visual improvements at first but once you get into the game, you realize they have poured their effort into a few key places / vistas in the game and most of the locations / arenas are pretty basic.

Level design continues in the same vein as Fallen Order, with climbing sections, zip lines, wall running etc and a few additions such as a grapple and mounts. The additions though are pretty unremarkable, are usually used in isolation and require no skill to string together later in the game as far as I have found.
Puzzles are simple but enjoyable and never seem to hurt the pace of the game.

Level design can sometimes feel un-intuitive, the flow telling you to go one way, while there is a small gap in the wall on one of your blind sides for example.
Or on Koboh, when opening the forest gate, there is a climbing section where you have to jump to more vines to the right and instead of grabbing automatically Cal falls every time unless you alter your jumping angle / compensate.

-------------------------------------------

Combat and gameplay

I am going to get right to the point here. This was the most disappointing aspect of the game for me. I found the gameplay clunky and slow, a lack of combinations, very few ways to mix up your lightsaber and force powers. Most of the powers are pretty boring.... no force choke, force crush, force lightening... and of course no force heal or tutaminis.

With a huge amount of lore to draw from, why couldn't we have some of the different lightsaber forms (1-7) or at least a simplified version, like in Jedi Outcast?

Gameplay is a long way behind many of the current adventure games such as Horizon Burning Shores or more directly GOW Ragnarok, which absolutely shames Jedi Survivor in terms of how unique and satisfying each weapon feels... when I got the Draupnir Spear, I didn't want to stop using it. Each weapon was a brand new way to play and a revelation..... whereas anything added in Jedi Survivor is just more of the same.

Boss battles are all very similar and unremarkable. Not expanding on this here to avoid spoilers.

Customization is terribly underwhelming, no Jedi robes, no Sith robes, no Mandalorian armor, no Bounty Hunter outfit as far as I can see, no clone trooper or storm trooper outfits.... just a huge lack of imagination or diversity.

--------------------------------------------

Story

The story in general was decent but not anything special, I liked the characters a lot though. I don't want to spoil anything here.
Dagan is quite a cool antagonist and his motives seem genuine and understandable.

The main plot twist is incredibly obvious and I knew it was coming from basically the start of the game... which is a shame. Anyone with half a brain will figure it out.

The themes are admirable, avoiding conflict rather than becoming twisted by it. Love over war. Preserving and remembering our past and heritage / knowledge.

------------------------------------------

Sound design and music is fantastic, authentic to the movies and probably straight from the sources.

-------------------------------------------

I had several glitches and crashes along with poor framerate during my first playthrough.... one probe droid got stuck in a wall near the end of the game and would not allow me leave the area. Several crashes on Koboh, especially when sliding down muddy areas. Slowdown in too many areas to mention.

My review might sound harsh overall but it highlights the negatives as constructive and honest criticism.... I did enjoy my time with the game and many parts feel reminiscent of God of War 2 and 3 in terms of level design and traversal.

This game is currently sitting at an 86 on PS5 with 102 critic reviews.

In my humble opinion it doesn't warrant above an 80, even if the performance was fixed. I would peg it around the high 70's and no higher

-------------------------------------

Let me know below if you're playing this, what you think of it or if you plan on buying it in the future!

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Wanna know what's funny I bought the game on release on PS5, installed and have not even played it. Seeing this makes me ensure that I was right about my hunch. The first one was amazing at least in my opinion.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Wanna know what's funny I bought the game on release on PS5, installed and have not even played it. Seeing this makes me ensure that I was right about my hunch. The first one was amazing at least in my opinion.

If you liked the first one, you'll like this... it's more of the same basically.... I just expected more in certain areas.

It's definitely more of everything in the first game with a few improvements.

I got on release too and was very hyped and as I say, I enjoyed it but I must be critical where I see something.

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
If you liked the first one, you'll like this... it's more of the same.... I just expected more in certain areas.

It's more of everything in the first game with a few improvements.

I got on release too and was very hyped.
I'll still give it a try but as of right now I'm playing some games that I'm trying to platinum and I kind of want to replay the first one, I have the first one installed. But I will give it a go when I get a chance.

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I'll still give it a try but as of right now I'm playing some games that I'm trying to platinum and I kind of want to replay the first one, I have the first one installed. But I will give it a go when I get a chance.
Forget about what I said... just enjoy in your own time and let us know after how you find it.

I hope you really enjoy it and don't get too caught up in me being a critical bas***d! LOL

Kereke12

Banned
4 May 2023
Forget about what I said... just enjoy in your own time and let us know after how you find it.

I hope you really enjoy it and don't get too caught up in me being a critical bas***d! LOL
No it's all good, I'm still going to play it when I get that chance. lol

P

peter42O

Wow. I literally just completed the story. 40 hours total play time. Loved the entire game for the most part. My biggest gripes were no waypoint system on screen, map isn't that great for navigation and chests are mostly cosmetic. I would love to see the souls aspect when dying be eliminated and turned into a light action RPG with the third game because with all these chests giving only cosmetics, it would be so much better if it was actually armor, upgrades for your lightsaber and upgrades for BD-1.

Visuals - 10/10
Audio - 8.5/10
Gameplay/Combat - 9.0/10
Story/Characters - 8.5/10
Overall - 9.0/10

As of right now, Jedi Survivor is my current game of the year. If it stays that way, the game will get increased to 9.5/10 as all my game of the year's this generation will be at least a 9.5/10 minimum. If not, then it stays a 9.0/10. Either way, such an excellent game overall. Performance wise, I had two crashes and some frame rate drops throughout but they were never during combat or anything major.

• brain

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Nice review and high 70s, dang harsh indeed! I agree combat was the most okay part of the game, but everything from the graphics to the music was so cinematic I enjoyed it. It was like I was playing a movie which I always enjoy. I think the future games could be a 9-10/10 if they dropped all of the souls elements of ultra hard enemies and bonfires and just went pure adventure. i found myself fiddling with the difficulty a lot just to make the combat more enjoyable.

• fire

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Solid 9 to me.
Take in mind I never played the previous game.

- One of the best looking game on PS5
- Gameplay is fantastic.
- Music and cinematic are great.

Still enjoying it… so no talk about Story/Characters (I avoided that part in the OP).

PS. I loved both but Jedi Survivor is better than Hogwarts Legacy.

OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Solid 9 to me.
Take in mind I never played the previous game.

- One of the best looking game on PS5
- Gameplay is fantastic.
- Music and cinematic are great.

Still enjoying it… so no talk about Story/Characters (I avoided that part in the OP).

PS. I loved both but Jedi Survivor is better than Hogwarts Legacy.

I'm still enjoying it too... as I said I am on new game plus.

It is a great looking game... I am playing right now and I think I was maybe too harsh in the review, so I might change that TBH.

Do you not think the saber combat feels like there are not many combo's and he stops for a second a tthe end of each attack and it feels like you cant move?? Is that just me? LOL

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I'm still enjoying it too... as I said I am on new game plus.

It is a great looking game... I am playing right now and I think I was maybe too harsh in the review, so I might change that TBH.

Do you not think the saber combat feels like there are not many combo's and he stops for a second a tthe end of each attack and it feels like you cant move?? Is that just me? LOL
The combo options seems low but I’m like 4 hours in the game… and it is the first time I’m enjoying a light saber in a game so I can’t say I really feel these stops.

Last edited:
  • brain

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I was reading your review and it's like you were describing fallen order. One thing I've never seen anyone mention is that Cal runs in a stupid floaty way that makes no sense, and has the charisma of a door.

Reactions: nongkris