Jeff Grubb: Sony Has "Some Smaller First-Party Games" Planned for 2024, Including Astro Bot

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Timestamp 20:20
Grubb: They [SIE] said in a financial report that they don't have any major franchise follow-up / sequels coming from any of their first-party studios this year, and that's their fiscal year, so through March of 2025. And that can feel kind of barren, but that doesn't mean that they don't have a lot of games that are from these newer studios, or partner games from Square Enix or whoever else. They probably do have a number of games to talk about... And also, I do keep hearing that there will be some smaller first-party games like that Astro game that is supposedly still happening this year.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I always hope for the announcement of a backwards compatability service upgrade. Why did that Regina PS Classics banner exist in the first place? C'mon, get on with it.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I do love Astrobot, wonder what the other games are...
They already have announced Lost Soul Aside and Convallaria for this year, plus the remaster/remake of Until Dawn. They should also have some 2nd party VR game, since normally every year have something.

The next Team Asobi game was said to be bigger than the Astro games (Astro's Playroom 3-5 hours according to how long to beat, Astro Bot Rescue Mission 7 and a half - 13 hours).

So I assume will be bigger, like Rift Apart (11-18h according to how long to beat), Morales (7 1/2 - 18h) or Sackboy (10-33h) or bigger.

I think it's very likely that they'll show it this year, but I think may be released the next one. And I'm not sure if it's going to be an Astro game, even if it's likely.

They could also announce 2nd party games from Sumo, Ember Lab, Sloclap, but not to be released this year, but instead to be released maybe a year or a year and a half from now.

I think they won't announce GoT2 this year and never considered to announce it now or before. GoT was released in 2020, later Legends and in H2 2021 its DLC and DC/remaster. I think this year we'll only get the PC port, maybe a teaser of the movie if lucky.

For Housemarque, Media Molecule, Bend, ND's 2+ SP games, next GoW I think it's too early too.

I think this year they'll show gameplay and release date of Destiny 2 The Final Shape, Convallaria (summer), Lost Soul Aside (summer), Concord (fall 2024), Death Stranding 2 (H1 2025), Marathon (fall 2025), Venom (if 2025) and as big announcements maybe Horizon Online and/or Cory's new IP.

I have no idea how many time Firesprite has been working on their current games, maybe they show something too but I'd bet they'd keep it for next year.

Where Bluepoint disappeared?
They didn't dissapear, after Demon's Souls their whole team did work on GoWR as support team (this is what the game credits say and what some of them mention in LinkedIn) and now pretty likely should be working as support team in other game too because even if have been growing don't have a big enough design team to lead their own AAA game.

• Heart
Reactions: Ezekiel

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Really hope they don't trap themselves into a PSVR2 only game. Might as well close the studio now if that's what they've been doing for 4 years

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
They already have announced Lost Soul Aside and Convallaria for this year, plus the remaster/remake of Until Dawn. They should also have some 2nd party VR game, since normally every year have something.

The next Team Asobi game was said to be bigger than the Astro games (Astro's Playroom 3-5 hours according to how long to beat, Astro Bot Rescue Mission 7 and a half - 13 hours).

So I assume will be bigger, like Rift Apart (11-18h according to how long to beat), Morales (7 1/2 - 18h) or Sackboy (10-33h) or bigger.

I think it's very likely that they'll show it this year, but I think may be released the next one. And I'm not sure if it's going to be an Astro game, even if it's likely.

They could also announce 2nd party games from Sumo, Ember Lab, Sloclap, but not to be released this year, but instead to be released maybe a year or a year and a half from now.

I think they won't announce GoT2 this year and never considered to announce it now or before. GoT was released in 2020, later Legends and in H2 2021 its DLC and DC/remaster. I think this year we'll only get the PC port, maybe a teaser of the movie if lucky.

For Housemarque, Media Molecule, Bend, ND's 2+ SP games, next GoW I think it's too early too.

I think this year they'll show gameplay and release date of Destiny 2 The Final Shape, Convallaria (summer), Lost Soul Aside (summer), Concord (fall 2024), Death Stranding 2 (H1 2025), Marathon (fall 2025), Venom (if 2025) and as big announcements maybe Horizon Online and/or Cory's new IP.

I have no idea how many time Firesprite has been working on their current games, maybe they show something too but I'd bet they'd keep it for next year.

They didn't dissapear, after Demon's Souls their whole team did work on GoWR as support team (this is what the game credits say and what some of them mention in LinkedIn) and now pretty likely should be working as support team in other game too because even if have been growing don't have a big enough design team to lead their own AAA game.
Why they need their own AAA game?

They have big expertise in remakes, so remake.
Not like Playstation in shortage of legacy games.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Why they need their own AAA game?

They have big expertise in remakes, so remake.
Not like Playstation in shortage of legacy games.
I don't say they need it. I don't have time to play all the games released I'd like to buy, so I don't mind about what they do, I'm ok with anything they do XDDD

Yes, they have remake expertise. I assume that after all the remakes and remasters they made, soon Sony will want to remake Uncharted 1 or GoW 1. If this is the case, I'd like them to work on it overviewed by ND or SSM.

But the thing is that their boss said that after Demon's Souls they moved away from remakes and remasters, and going forward were going to focus on original content. The first project was to codevelop GoWR as support team. Their next project seems it's also a support job. I assume, the idea is to -after a handful games working as support team- to do their own game. Normally devs is what they prefer to do.

They have many high level staff who worked making top tier games, like the original Metroid Prime games plus other Retro Studios games like Donkey Kong Returns or Mario Kart 7, or some people who worked on Diablo II, WoW or studios like ND or Insomniac. So I think they are highly capable and have potential to make great brand new games. They only need to continue growing because still are small to lead a AAA game themselves, and specially need to get some top tier designers more to have the amount of designers needed to do so, which is what I assume they plan to do in the long term.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Give slyphon filter the Lara croft collection treatment and then full remake. Can't believe they are sitting on that IP.