Jeff Sneider: Universal nearing a deal with Nintendo and Illumination to make a 'The Legend of Zelda' movie

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Universal Pictures has set its sights on The Legend of Zelda as its next big video game movie adaptation. According to Hollywood insider Jeff Sneider, Universal is in the process of closing a deal with Nintendo and the animation studio Illumination to make it happen.

"I'm told that Universal is, in fact, closing a 'big deal' with the Nintendo corporation for The Legend of Zelda," Sneider said on the latest episode of The Hot Mic podcast. "Zelda is looking like the next big Illumination-Nintendo franchise, which we were all sort of expecting. I'm told that is happening."
He went on to say that it will cost Universal a "pretty penny" following the massive success of The Super Marios Bros. Movie, which has raked in $1 billion worldwide on its way to becoming the highest-grossing video game movie adaptation.
consequence.net

Via Resetera

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Universal Pictures has set its sights on The Legend of Zelda as its next big video game movie adaptation. According to Hollywood insider Jeff Sneider, Universal is in the process of closing a deal with Nintendo and the animation studio Illumination to make it happen.

"I'm told that Universal is, in fact, closing a 'big deal' with the Nintendo corporation for The Legend of Zelda," Sneider said on the latest episode of The Hot Mic podcast. "Zelda is looking like the next big Illumination-Nintendo franchise, which we were all sort of expecting. I'm told that is happening."
He went on to say that it will cost Universal a "pretty penny" following the massive success of The Super Marios Bros. Movie, which has raked in $1 billion worldwide on its way to becoming the highest-grossing video game movie adaptation.

Timestamp: 3:09

ghostz

Banned
12 Apr 2023
Interesting. Makes me nervous tbh. Def won’t be as big as Mario though.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Might be the only way to enjoy something Zelda related this days and the following years. This, and the rumored LEGO Deku tree set.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Hopefully link talks or else it would be reqlly awkward and weird

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Was it that bad? Worse than Sonic?

I quite enjoyed Sonic 2.
Yes, it was lukewarm garbage. The problem with Nintendo franchises is they have no story to translate into other media, so you're going into the cinema to watch an hour plus long ad for the IP. That a near record breaking amount of people paid to be advertised to is an indictment, not a victory.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I’m just expecting it to be OoT.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Yes, it was lukewarm garbage. The problem with Nintendo franchises is they have no story to translate into other media, so you're going into the cinema to watch an hour plus long ad for the IP. That a near record breaking amount of people paid to be advertised to is an indictment, not a victory.
lukewarm garbage that soar to top this years movie charts

stay with the woke disney garbage

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
You would have different expectations from a Zelda movie. Mario’s best game has a plot about going to eat some cake… who cares. Of course it’s stupid.

Zelda becomes a clusterfuck and the only really strong parts of its story is actually just lore connections to previous games that all seem to be completely retconned annd thrown out the window after totk anyway.

Ocarina would make the best movie or series of movies. There’s no ridiculous demise and demon king nonsense; link is a child in the forest and Ganondorf tricks the king to gain his trust and take over the kingdom. Simple character driven stuff.

I don’t see any other way to do it. Unless they’re gonna do botw and totk and just go with this reboot series. But it should be ocarina.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
So, a kids film? I dunno, I would think Zelda works better as PG 13 live action.

Since it lacks a unified, signature style like Mario you can't just get by on having "Hyrule" and thats enough.