Jez Corden: Next Xbox Generation Will Be A “Reference Design” for Manufacturers to Make Their Own Devices –

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sounds basically what I suggested: to make their own Steam Machines and Steamdecks, PC shaped consoles but running a Windows with an adapted UI for console controls.

And they may do a reference model who only a few fans would buy, but the idea would be that 3rd party hardware manufacturers use Windows on their home and portable console shaped PCs.

Why? What's the point?
Like whats the point?? It ll create chaos among consumers or their fanboys.

This ll flop hard.
Seriously, some of you here might have a better understanding of this. What's the point of making more hardware, regardless of what it is? Who would it be for? PC players won't care for it and console players will see it as more of a PC, which again they won't care for it.

It's the Steambox all over again. A device for no one because it's neither here nor there.

This is another step -an important one- to slowly move away from their own console hardware, moving to Windows as their home platform and also to slowly transition to becoming a fully multiplatform publisher on console, with the idea of:
  • Making way more revenue and profit for their gaming business by selling their games in all platforms (way bigger market and way more money than they can make in their console only)
  • Improve profitability of their gaming business by cutting the console specific costs, since they are losing money selling hardware, console OS, console store, console submissions, console customer support etc.
  • Generate more Window users
  • Use Windows as trojan horse to put their game store and GP on rival PC based consoles (which hopefully for them in the future would include the Sony and Nintendo ones)
  • To become the top grossing gaming company in some years
Basically, MS will want to kill the failed Xbox brand and substitute it by Microsoft or Windows. I mean, they won't expect to sell a lot of these own consoles they want to slowly transition away from Xbox without alienating their userbase a lot.

And to improve their revenue and profitability by killing their console and move to a full multiplatform approach that would give them way more revenue and profit selling games and addons in all platforms than being trapped on a dying console whose userbase can't grow even giving away their AAA games.

They have been slowly making this transition since the moment they started to port their games to PC and acquired Minecraft and left it full multiplatform.

This will help to kill their console but will heavily help their gaming division.

I wonder what the price is going to move too, 700-1000 pound Xboxes.
I assume their idea will be to have a very expensive home console (for console staandards) but cheap for PC standards. Maybe $600-$1000 range.

And also to have a cheaper portable/hybrid SKU. Maybe $400-700 range.

Their idea would be to sell only a few millions, but to use this concept as trojan horse to put Windows/MS game store/GP in all the other portable -and home- console shaped PC devices (and if they get lucky -won't happen- also the Sony or Nintendo ones).

Then once these MS devices highly fail, they say that stop making gaming hardware, and that will let the other hardware continue using PC/MS game store/GP.

Last edited:

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Is that the last part of the discord leak being parroted by Jizz?

I want to see the looks on Reee's faces, especially the one loser who said the stuff in the discord leak that had been confirmed to that point was actually very predictable and not at all shocking and then wrote a dissertation about it.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
PeterEvo is a premature kid. He is supposedly between 13 a d 14 years old. He will run back to uncle Phil with the first best opportunity. He will shill again for Xbox.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Said this a few weeks ago. 3rd party are gonna make Windows gaming and SteamOS home consoles. This takes the costs and pressure off them and they just have to sell games on there store.

Microsoft will be competing directly against Steam and they both are in competition with Playstation. Thing is MS doesnt care about the console anymore and its about software sales and we know they arent very smart with gaming vision

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Going the SteamBox way.
Yeah this will be like the Steam Machines, will only play PC games, Microsoft will need to port over Xbox entire library for bc . These will be priced like PC's and I'm sure you will ne able to upgrade them like gaming PC's hopefully.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
AMD & Nvidia are rivals why would you pair them like I'm sure AMD would be like hmmm how can we make Nvidia graphics cards look bad with our processor so people buy ours instead
Cpus and gpus are interoperable. The point of PC building is to put the best parts possible (for the budget), only weirdos do brand loyalty.
Also Intel was sued by the government for doing exactly that and they got a decently large fine for it.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
for Manufacturers to Make Their Own Devices

JLC1pdG.jpg

Ok that's too funny :ROFLMAO:

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
if it didn’t have Steam it would be dead on arrival.
But will it allow mods? If not what’s the point.
Farming Sim 22 mods will work when dropped into the folder structure of the GamePass-subscribed downloaded version, on my Ally? My buddy doesn't even need to buy the game or even create a Steam account.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If they were smart about it they would make this new Windows distribution with gamepad UI available for Xbox Series consoles.

All that is left for them to do is to focus on their own store, try to stop SteamOS from gaining momentum and maybe consider subsiding hardware if people pay for long Gamepass subscriptions.

Polyh3dron

Veteran
31 Jan 2024
Valve did wonders on the Steam Deck with their whole Proton thing that translates the DirectX API, and they're not even Microsoft.

Microsoft, of course, has direct access to the source code for that API and could make a much better version of what Valve has done with SteamOS. After Sony announces day-and-date PC releases, this could end up being the ultimate gaming console, running everything outside of Nintendo games and the few Sony stragglers that will never get a PC port.

Looks like we will soon get an answer to "what if Steam Deck was a higher-powered console and made by the company that has direct access to DirectX source code?"

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
I bet they'll use this as an excuse to push an integrated gaming store that you cant uninstall.
No doubt MS will use this as a case for PS & Nintendo to open there storefront because Xbox had.

Ig the counter from PS & Nintendo will be that’s it’s destructive to its platform & storefront & Xbox is the least selling hardware which entails in less competition I suppose

I think this is what ultimately MS is pushing for open storefront on wall gardens & consolidate by pushing 3rd party so they can buy more ip & studios w prominent franchises

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
No doubt MS will use this as a case for PS & Nintendo to open there storefront because Xbox had.

Ig the counter from PS & Nintendo will be that’s it’s destructive to its platform & storefront & Xbox is the least selling hardware which entails in less competition I suppose

I think this is what ultimately MS is pushing for open storefront on wall gardens & consolidate by pushing 3rd party so they can buy more ip & studios w prominent franchises
There is also that, I forgot about it. You are 100%, right they'll get together with Epic and try to sue Sony and Nintendo to be able to open shop inside their ecosystem without paying anything.

It's extra ironic that their lack of aggressiveness with subsiding hardware will show up in court against them, they make money selling hardware so the whole justification for being different than PC/mobile goes away.

Courts would also love the fact that Sony charges for basic features that are free on all other plataforms like online, cloud saving and have pretty much no refund policy.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Cpus and gpus are interoperable. The point of PC building is to put the best parts possible (for the budget), only weirdos do brand loyalty.
Also Intel was sued by the government for doing exactly that and they got a decently large fine for it.
So there's no way they could make their rivals cards perform worse ?