John Beech is named creative director of Media Molecule

16 Feb 2023
No disrespect to the guy but the Media Molecule we knew is probably dead. Congratulations Hermen!

Ok the dooming about playstation after one showcase is clearly getting out of hand when people who clearly don't know who John is are declaring MM dead. He's actually bothered to make a project for Dreams (Tren
) which is more impressive looking than either a Bat's Tale or A long Climb ago.
Also as much as I loved dreams let's face it MM needed a shake up as Dreams sold poorly and then ongoing user engagement was even worse how they thought they were going to keep this ongoing for 10 years without monetisation I have no idea and I'm a person who loved Dreams.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Ok the dooming about playstation after one showcase is clearly getting out of hand when people who clearly don't know who John is are declaring MM dead. He's actually bothered to make a project for Dreams (Tren
) which is more impressive looking than either a Bat's Tale or A long Climb ago.
Also as much as I loved dreams let's face it MM needed a shake up as Dreams sold poorly and then ongoing user engagement was even worse how they thought they were going to keep this ongoing for 10 years without monetisation I have no idea and I'm a person who loved Dreams.
Agreed. One bad showcase and suddenly Playstation are about to close all of their studios and leave the console market the way some are acting. It's good to be critical of these companies when they get complacent, but being an overdramatic crybaby is just annoying.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Maybe they will reboot Little Big Planet?
This was very successful on PS3 era. Maybe this is their last opportunity to prove themselves. Honestly I would ascend for a new LBP game.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Pretty much all the leadership left the studios, odds are against them being able to maintain the same quality. This was an extremely prestigious studio.

I'm hoping for the best, it was one of Sony best studios.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Pretty much all the leadership left the studios, odds are against them being able to maintain the same quality. This was an extremely prestigious studio.

I'm hoping for the best, it was one of Sony best studios.
Yeah thts what I'm worried about.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yeah thts what I'm worried about.
They definitely need to stop with the user created content since they don't know what to do with it when it's done. Dreams is actually better than it had any right to be yet it was just left to die once concluded and never had any chance to be comercially sucesful.

Media Molecule make a Windwaker clone with Tearaway's art style.
I like the direction of just focusing on making good Nintendo like games like Team Asobi, keep things simple, focus on refined gameplay.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I like the direction of just focusing on making good Nintendo like games like Team Asobi, keep things simple, focus on refined gameplay.
Yeah, Tearaway is their best game imo. Ironically the playful, creative spark that makes MM so lovable is blunted by user creation.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Dude this sooner shit is getting old
Don't confuse my apprehension with the direction things are going with me wanting things to go bad. I have been following this Media Molecule situation for some time and it's never good when a project with so much potential is squandered and key people start to leave.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Dreams in VR would have been so good but I bet the higher ups would not allow it due to it being many many mini games and they might think it would eat into other vr sales of games.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Dreams in VR would have been so good but I bet the higher ups would not allow it due to it being many many mini games and they might think it would eat into other vr sales of games.
No PSVR2 version is just criminal. Also literally the only game that needed a PC port and one of the few that didn't get it.

Everything surrounding Dream pisses me of, what a waste of potential. Now we have to looks at garbage like Roblox and Fortnite taking over that niche of community created games.

• Shake

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Don't confuse my apprehension with the direction things are going with me wanting things to go bad. I have been following this Media Molecule situation for some time and it's never good when a project with so much potential is squandered and key people start to leave.
They released a great but experimental project, they supported it, it never took off in a big way so they are making something new. Not sure what the big issue is

Reactions: AngryRobotBees