Journalist goes on record - The Initiative in trouble, Xbox leadership blamed

D

Deleted member 140

phil-spencer-xbox.gif

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It does seem to be a problem they always have, Looking at some of the Halo threads, this must be an issue there too.

I just don't understand why they can not fix this, is it the people at the top that just suck at organizing this or what?

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
I still hope the Perfect Dark reboot turns out well because the IP deserves a legitimately good game again it's only been 20+ years.

But Matt Booty out here saying things are perfectly fine, is just all talk and no show. No reason to really believe them when we have evidence of mass exodus from The Initiative. Now apparently Crystal Dynamics are working on a new Tomb Raider too.

Even if 100 CD people are working on PD, that doesn't bode well for what should be a AAA game, at least what I think a new PD should be. Not like there are that many Initiative people left to add to that number. Are they going to contract out yet more people, they've already contracted out Crystal Dynamics!

Basically just think of all the games they've revealed since 2020 and how many of them are in some state of disarray:

• -State of Decay 3
  • -Everwild (is this game even still alive?)
  • -Perfect Dark
  • -Fable
  • -Avowed (maybe)

...and there is still no release window for Hellblade II, it'll have been three years this December since we've known of its existence officially.

When it comes to these games, Microsoft need to do a lot better at showing rather than just telling.

D

Deleted member 140

I am honestly wondering about how many years and years and years they need to adapt and improve? It feels like we hear bad management since... Forever and they keep having issues. I have to say their Forza games are able to keep a good level of quality, and Gears to some extent, but comparing to Nintendo and Sony, it's a little bit shocking in my opinion.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It does seem to be a problem they always have, Looking at some of the Halo threads, this must be an issue there too.

I just don't understand why they can not fix this, is it the people at the top that just suck at organizing this or what?
1. Yes, they are not good at their job. They've never been.
2. Matt Booty was managing five studios before 2018 and spectacularly failed at it. Now he is supposed to magically manage 30+ studios all of a sudden.
3. At this point, Xbox execs wouldn't know what a good game is even if it hit them in the face. They're so far removed from the industry that they don't have any pulse of it.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
No real surprises here...

MS is known for three games - Forza, Halo, and Gears.

Halo has been destroyed from within. In the past couple of years MS has blown $77bn on publishers because it barely has any other games.

Everwild from Rare is in development hell. Fable is a long way off and being developed by a studio that makes racing games.

And Crystal Dynamics had to be parachuted in to save Perfect Dark when The Initiative collapsed while still a new studio.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
No real surprises here...

MS is known for three games - Forza, Halo, and Gears.

Halo has been destroyed from within. In the past couple of years MS has blown $77bn on publishers because it barely has any other games.

Everwild from Rare is in development hell. Fable is a long way off and being developed by a studio that makes racing games.

And Perfect Dark had to be parachuted in to save Perfect Dark when The Initiative collapsed while still a new studio.
you forgot about Hellblade 2 and Avowed. plus state of decay.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
you forgot about Hellblade 2 and Avowed. plus state of decay.
Yeah State of Decay I remember something about the dev team struggling with it, but then who's excited for that game anyway??

What's the deal with he other two? I never thought either was coming out next year, but are they having problems?

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
Few blamed Xbox leadership, most just changed to other Xbox studios. So it seems Xbox leadership isn’t the issue.

Hope they take their time.

Reactions: Bryank75

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I wouldn’t be surprised if this were true, but this post is lacking in detail. Every work place has some kind of difficulty, because companies are made up of people and people aren’t perfect.

Maybe if they actually explained why The Initiative is “having problems” it would be more worth looking at.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
This is the main reason I don’t want MS to buy any more publishers. It’s because I actually like games and I don’t want them destroying any more franchises. I like CoD, and many other AB games. I’ll be quite upset if all those games get ruined one by one.