Journalist goes on record - The Initiative in trouble, Xbox leadership blamed

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
And yet you have chods like Destin, Cockeastwood, Dealer, all these nuckleheads have no clue wtf they are talking about. And all are for XBox because it means they dont have to buy games.

I literally just bought Aliens:Fire team elite on steam. Game is fucking great. Like people can't wait for sales? Last of us part 1 will go on sale during black Friday. Like returnal is now available on a service, it goes on sale for $40-50. Demons Souls Remake was $40 a month or so ago.
Everyone acts like they drank the Microsoft Kool-aid that there can't be paid games anymore? TO me and i know all the xbox people will hate on me for this, but if I'm being honest I think a healthy way of doing business is selling a game then if it falls short sales wise, put it on a service.

So what Sony is doing in not putting games day to date like Single player games makes sense, but games that will evolve as a service to me those you can easily make you're money back if they debut on a service.
Service games, and smaller AA-Indie titles work well for a service. Giant big budget AAA games make little sense unless its months after the game has come out and sales have all but dried. To me thats how you make some of you're money back.
If someone isn't willing to bite at $70 let alone $50-40 then putting it on a service to give it a second life makes sense.

But all these xbox people including level headed folks like Jaffe think this is how we will consume media in gaming going forward. MY rebuttal is if this was truly the only way forward, PC would have taken off in the service\sub space long ago. Games are so cheap on that platform that, people would rather just own the games.
I think Sub services will work along side of paid titles. I think trying to put all of you're eggs into one basket is a mistake. As seen with what currently is happening in the entertainment sector.

There are even talks of physical media coming back, if more crashes like the ones we are seeing happen in TV/FILM happen.

Uh… all of the games in GamePass are available as “paid games” outside of the service. This isn’t AppleTV or Netflix where the original content is only available to stream through the service. As for the rest… it’s only a matter of time before Sony follows suit and their games are day one on PS+.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
Uh… all of the games in GamePass are available as “paid games” outside of the service. This isn’t AppleTV or Netflix where the original content is only available to stream through the service. As for the rest… it’s only a matter of time before Sony follows suit and their games are day one on PS+.

Nope. It would be a stupid business move to do this and we're more likely to see Xbox backtracking on this than seeing Sony join them in a suicide pact.

azertydu91

4 Jul 2022
Nope. It would be a stupid business move to do this and we're more likely to see Xbox backtracking on this than seeing Sony join them in a suicide pact.
thelma and louise remix GIF

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
That model doesn't work for Sony, they don't want to lose money for years, and we don't want watered down PlayStation exclusives

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
No matter the devs under Microsoft they seem to just mismanage or not be the leaders the devs need as stewards. I don't believe in any of the new acquisitions and what they will churn out because of this.

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
No matter the devs under Microsoft they seem to just mismanage or not be the leaders the devs need as stewards. I don't believe in any of the new acquisitions and what they will churn out because of this.
I wonder how many big names leave these studios after these acquisitions. It seems like some of them have been starting new studios

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I would've been shocked if they made a good singleplayer, story-driven game. A meteorite blasting Earth is more likely to happen. Xbox continues to be the laughing stock of the industry.
Sony are not even ready for the fight and they win for some reason.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bo_Hazem

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Jaffe had on his stream last night the Pax West interview with Matt Booty, this dude's days are numbered if he's literally telling an audience developers are having issues with Ray Tracing and how to use the CPU:

I time stamped the start of the Matt Booty conversation, feel free to make more time stamps if needed.
You clearly didn't look into what Matt said AT ALL. Developers who started off developing in the PS4 and One era are having more trouble adjusting to these systems given the drastic CPU offset not present last generation.

Last gen most of the coding and push was aimed at the GPU's and 30 FPS targets because the CPU's were so weak. This generation that has been flipped on its head.

For senior coders this isn't a problem as many consoles of the past used to be quite balanced, but for newer developers who learned their forte in the 8th generation the resource management is completely different, and thus has to be the way they code.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
Yep just like Sony didn’t need paid online or games on PC or their own version of GamePass. It’s coming, just be patient.
They'll deny it even when Sony starts doing it. It's impossible to reason with unreasonable people, and delusionals.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
You clearly didn't look into what Matt said AT ALL. Developers who started off developing in the PS4 and One era are having more trouble adjusting to these systems given the drastic CPU offset not present last generation.

Last gen most of the coding and push was aimed at the GPU's and 30 FPS targets because the CPU's were so weak. This generation that has been flipped on its head.

For senior coders this isn't a problem as many consoles of the past used to be quite balanced, but for newer developers who learned their forte in the 8th generation the resource management is completely different, and thus has to be the way they code.

If thats the case for everyone why is it, Sony is showing off games like Horizon, and God of war and scaling them? Playstation doesn't have issues putting out games in a timely fashion.

Sorry no excuses. It's 2022, not 2021 and we are going into 2023 in over 3 months.

They'll deny it even when Sony starts doing it. It's impossible to reason with unreasonable people, and delusionals.

Whats delusional is you don't think Microsoft has issues with most of their internally managed studios. And from late Xbox kits, to late direct X 12 update for the sdk's all contributing to microsoft's inability to manage a gaming division and the studios under their direct leadership.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
If thats the case for everyone why is it, Sony is showing off games like Horizon, and God of war and scaling them? Playstation doesn't have issues putting out games in a timely fashion.

Sorry no excuses. It's 2022, not 2021 and we are going into 2023 in over 3 months.

Whats delusional is you don't think Microsoft has issues with most of their internally managed studios. And from late Xbox kits, to late direct X 12 update for the sdk's all contributing to microsoft's inability to manage a gaming division and the studios under their direct leadership.
Sony and Microsoft being in independent development cycles doesn't mean anything. He merely explained why some things take longer for less senior developers...

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022

TBH I think you're both kind of right and wrong at the same time. Sony is absolutely NOT going to put their big, AAA marquee games on PS+ Day 1, that's part of the reason they created the Game Trails, to AVOID doing that type of thing. So you may get 2+ hour trails for the new AAA 1P releases Day 1; you won't actually see any of those games on PS+ until well after a year later if not longer. I'm talking about the single-player or non live-service games, mind.

However, if they start producing more 1P AA games or doing so in collaboration with 3P devs, maybe even as a means to bring back some of the legacy IP...I can see those games, or some of them, go to PS+ Day 1. Some might even debut exclusively in the service before having digital versions for sale (and maybe physical releases after that).

So I'm talking about, say, they decided to make a new Parappa the Rapper game or a new Tomba!, maybe a Warhawk remake similar to the Shadow of the Colossus one from BluePoint. Those are the kind of legacy IP that could come back as AA or high-tier indie games and be used to push the service. That in addition with stuff like Stray, VF5 Ultimate Showdown, Shadow Master 3 and the ilk.

So they can do both, it just depends on the type of 1P game we're talking about.

thicc_girls_are_teh_best

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Jun 2022
Sony can put a quarter of their output day one in PS+ and have more day 1 games than GamePass.

No warrioring, just a disappointed customer.

I mean as things currently stand? Yeah. But at some point Microsoft's 1P content will start coming out with some consistency, it's just a question of when.

Sony could theoretically do what you suggest, but at what cost in terms of potential net profits from 1P software sales being lost? Would the revenue from PS+ be enough to cover those losses (it'd need to be in addition to the revenue it already brings in, which IIRC was reported at ~ $2.5 billion last FY)?

Just way too many unknowns and too big of risks. They'd sooner put one of the live-service games into the service Day 1 than anything resembling a GOW Ragnarok or Spiderman 2.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Hobbygaming

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I mean as things currently stand? Yeah. But at some point Microsoft's 1P content will start coming out with some consistency, it's just a question of when.

Sony could theoretically do what you suggest, but at what cost in terms of potential net profits from 1P software sales being lost? Would the revenue from PS+ be enough to cover those losses (it'd need to be in addition to the revenue it already brings in, which IIRC was reported at ~ $2.5 billion last FY)?

Just way too many unknowns and too big of risks. They'd sooner put one of the live-service games into the service Day 1 than anything resembling a GOW Ragnarok or Spiderman 2.
Yeah I wasn't suggesting they do it, just pointing out that Gamepass is hardly chalk full of day 1 games, particularly not AAA games or even AA games.