Ken Kutaragi was the one who decided to use the Spider-Man font for the PS3

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
They were also supposed to have two CELL "CPUs" and no nvidia GPU... but that obviously did not happen as it seems the CELL was messy to develop.
According to the materials I've seen on the Internet, the final version of the Nvidia GPU is not what was planned, and it was ordered in a hurry.

They were planning their own solution, and it was likely to be a second chip on the CELL-based, or something else.

MS at the time ruined the game for everyone because they wanted to gain a time advantage, despite the fact that their hardware could not work well, until the new revisions were released in 2007.

There were even stories at the level of reliability "my Japanese stepfather worked for Sony" that the PS3 was supposed to launch in late 2007, or even later.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
According to the materials I've seen on the Internet, the final version of the Nvidia GPU is not what was planned, and it was ordered in a hurry.

They were planning their own solution, and it was likely to be a second chip on the CELL-based, or something else.

MS at the time ruined the game for everyone because they wanted to gain a time advantage, despite the fact that their hardware could not work well, until the new revisions were released in 2007.

There were even stories at the level of reliability "my Japanese stepfather worked for Sony" that the PS3 was supposed to launch in late 2007, or even later.
This is in line with what I heard, I assume that if that solution got dropped this is because they got worried about the 360's initial success (it sold very well in the territories where they had a lead) and from what I personally heard from someone who works at a major third party publisher the attach rate (number of games per unit) was pretty impressive, to they loved it too.

I think that if they would have been a bit more careful with the reliability factor the 360 was a very well designed console, like the PS4 was in its day.

Reactions: J_Paganel

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I didn't know how to properly abbreviate CPU NM process, so I looked it up on Google)
just call it node size.

Also 90nm was the more advanced standard back in 2006. The IBM Cell was just SPE 2D stacked together to create a massive chip. Technically it is should be a griller.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I wish Sony would release a PS3 hardware add-on for the PS5, that is the type of stuff someone like Crazy Ken would come up with.
That is not possible.

IBM's spaghetti design meaning Cell has a lot of SIMD instructions that was required to function. Emulation is even harder.

AVX instructions set on x86 is the closing things to emulate right now, three six using the more simple baseline of SPE than the cell meaning basic AVX can emulate it, but Cell using a more complex version meaning a more extended version of AVX is required, which is why only AVX-512 managed to emulate PS3 efficiently.

If let's say PS5 Pro opted to use Zen 4, then it can emulate PS3. Even though Zen 4 support for AVX512 is very limited, compared to Alder Lake, but Intel also removed it by BIOS update later on, a very Intel move.

I started sounding like @thicc_girls_are_teh_best , god help me.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
That is not possible.

IBM's spaghetti design meaning Cell has a lot of SIMD instructions that was required to function. Emulation is even harder.

AVX instructions set on x86 is the closing things to emulate right now, three six using the more simple baseline of SPE than the cell meaning basic AVX can emulate it, but Cell using a more complex version meaning a more extended version of AVX is required, which is why only AVX-512 managed to emulate PS3 efficiently.

If let's say PS5 Pro opted to use Zen 4, then it can emulate PS3. Even though Zen 4 support for AVX512 is very limited, compared to Alder Lake, but Intel also removed it by BIOS update later on, a very Intel move.

I started sounding like @thicc_girls_are_teh_best , god help me.
Meanwhile, people on the Steam Deck are able to emulate PS3 games... but sure, it's impossible.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Meanwhile, people on the Steam Deck are able to emulate PS3 games... but sure, it's impossible.

There is a different between states between Boot -> Run -> Playable -> Consumable.

I can run, but it could crashes, it could slow downs, object could not render correctly, it could corrupt the whole savefile, etc.

RSPC3 require like, 25 minutes just to compile some basic shaders alone. Enjoy that shit lol.

Paying people to playtest those already cost millions for something that will not yield profits, no way in hell Sony would touch those. Same for reason, Nintendo would rather sell you emulated disc image than putting tiny of effort emulating PowerPC consoles because it is more profitable to do the latter.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
There is a different between states between Boot -> Run -> Playable -> Consumable.

I can run, but it could crashes, it could slow downs, object could not render correctly, it could corrupt the whole savefile, etc.

RSPC3 require like, 25 minutes just to compile some basic shaders alone. Enjoy that shit lol.

Paying people to playtest those already cost millions for something that will not yield profits, no way in hell Sony would touch those. Same for reason, Nintendo would rather sell you emulated disc image than putting tiny of effort emulating PowerPC consoles because it is more profitable to do the latter.
You can just use pre-compiled shaders on console since everyone has the same hardware.

You seem set on coming up with excuses of why Sony can't do it but at the same time fails to explain how a bunch of people on their spare time with no access to documentation or the same resources of a company like Sony are able to do it.

Sony clearly doesn't care, if they cared and it was impossible as you suggest they would've at least ported games like Resistance, Infamous and Killzone.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
You can just use pre-compiled shaders on console since everyone has the same hardware.

You seem set on coming up with excuses of why Sony can't do it but at the same time fails to explain how a bunch of people on their spare time with no access to documentation or the same resources of a company like Sony are able to do it.

Sony clearly doesn't care, if they cared and it was impossible as you suggest they would've at least ported games like Resistance, Infamous and Killzone.
Keyword here is consumable.
I love how you go on to the "programmers does not know shit" to complain about employers and then whine Sony not paying people to write complicates emulation softwares, do you think Sony would pay peanuts for playtesters and programmers as them creating the magical PS3 emulator that is bugfree and smooth as butter.

Apple sunked 40B on Rossetta 2, a compatiblity layer between the 2 most of popular architecture, and that thing still have some problems. How much money do you think PS3 emulator gonna cost? And how much ROI would there ?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Keyword here is consumable.
I love how you go on to the "programmers does not know shit" to complain about employers and then whine Sony not paying people to write complicates emulation softwares, do you think Sony would pay peanuts for playtesters and programmers as them creating the magical PS3 emulator that is bugfree and smooth as butter.

Apple sunked 40B on Rossetta 2, a compatiblity layer between the 2 most of popular architecture, and that thing still have some problems. How much money do you think PS3 emulator gonna cost? And how much ROI would there ?
Damn, where did the guys developing it for PC found all the billions of dolars to do it?