Konami is "potentially porting" the Silent Hill series to current-gen consoles

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
heather-sh3.jpeg

Konami is reportedly "potentially porting" the Silent Hill series to contemporary consoles.

That's according to one of five short documentaries Konami published on YouTube the night it shadow-dropped The Short Message.

In the fourth video, a level designer who worked on the highly-anticipated (and long rumoured) playable teaser revealed that Konami had originally reached out to the team at Hexadrive – a studio that had primarily worked on porting older games until it helped an internal Konami team develop The Short Message – "about potentially porting the Silent Hill series".

Via Eurogamer

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com
Hexadrive turned down the ports to pitch a Silent Hill 2 remake, then the remake got picked up by Bloober Team and Hexadrive made The Short Message.

Silent Hill 2 needs a port way more than it needs a "remake," though.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Hexadrive turned down the ports to pitch a Silent Hill 2 remake, then the remake got picked up by Bloober Team and Hexadrive made The Short Message.

Silent Hill 2 needs a port way more than it needs a "remake," though.
Nah I prefer remakes than ports. I would play a silent hill collection but definitely prefer a port. Old animations old controls usually range from annoying to terrible. I can’t believe I used to beat games the way some of this old style use to play.

Reactions: Box

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com
Nah I prefer remakes than ports. I would play a silent hill collection but definitely prefer a port. Old animations old controls usually range from annoying to terrible. I can’t believe I used to beat games the way some of this old style use to play.
Nah, the originals are art. You can't replicate Silent Hill 2's level of depth, intent, and symbolism with an imitation from some rando, and Silent Hill 2 is getting butchered anyways.

Plus, the original sequels play fine. None of them have mandatory tank controls except the first one.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Nah, the originals are art. You can't replicate Silent Hill 2's level of depth, intent, and symbolism with an imitation from some rando, and Silent Hill 2 is getting butchered anyways.

Plus, the original sequels play fine. None of them have mandatory tank controls except the first one.
I'm buying the remake I love resident evil & silent hill so if it plays like resident evil remakes & has the story of silent hill 2 then I'll love it lol

Reactions: laynelane and Box

Darkknight2149

18 Dec 2022
She'ol
discord.com
I'm buying the remake I love resident evil & silent hill so if it plays like resident evil remakes & has the story of silent hill 2 then I'll love it lol
It will have a botched retelling of the surface plot and that's about it. Some things can only be done once and Silent Hill 2 is one of those things, not that Bloober Team is doing a good job with the tone and subtleties of it to begin with.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Dr Bass
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
It will have a botched retelling of the surface plot and that's about it. Some things can only be done once and Silent Hill 2 is one of those things, not that Bloober Team is doing a good job with the tone and subtleties of it to begin with.
The plot is just
James being in his own personal hell because of what he did to his wife I don't see how they could fuck that up

Last edited by a moderator:

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
The story is some heavily symbolic and ambiguous David Lynch shit lol

That's not easy to replicate.

Also with a lot of Inspiration from the Soviet film Solaris. It's nothing short of a masterpiece

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
silent hill horror GIF

While the MGS ports turned out to be quite poor I would REALLY love the chance to play Silent Hill on my PS5, I hope this is true and they put more effort on them.

Reactions: laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
The story is some heavily symbolic and ambiguous David Lynch shit lol

That's not easy to replicate.

One of the many things I loved about the story was how, after the reveal at the end about Mary, everything came together. All the symbolism, monsters, the other characters (particularly Maria), etc. We were, bit by bit, being told the ending all along. That kind of subtle, delicate story-telling which respects the intelligence of the audience - that's what I worry Bloober will miss.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
SH2 is a rare gaming storytelling masterpiece and some of you should go back and hide your comments in spoiler tags for crying out loud. 😛 Plenty of people haven’t played it!

And yes it is a “simple story,” just like almost all classic pieces are. It’s the characters, and how that story is told that makes the difference. The sure sign of mediocre story telling is complex, plot heavy tales with shallow characters.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Summer Nightmares