Kotaku has learned that Bulletstorm and Outriders developer People Can Fly has laid off over 30 people who were working on an unannounced video game p

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Looks to be the first known casualty of this new strategy by Square-Enix to concentrate on either smaller budget conscious titles or big triple AAA and avoid the AA~ space(per the CEOs own comment).

That also doesn't seem unlike SE to look to quickly look at outside partners' projects first.

Also this number of industry layoff is incredibly depressing.
A lot of VERY talented individuals are going to be permanently be leaving the video industry, there's just not enough jobs for the amount of people looking to get hired. The upcoming brain drain is going to be very difficult to replace.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Looks to be the first known casualty of this new strategy by Square-Enix to concentrate on either smaller budget conscious titles or big triple AAA and avoid the AA~ space(per the CEOs own comment).

That also doesn't seem unlike SE to look to quickly look at outside partners' projects first.

Also this number of industry layoff is incredibly depressing.
A lot of VERY talented individuals are going to be permanently be leaving the video industry, there's just not enough jobs for the amount of people looking to get hired. The upcoming brain drain is going to be very difficult to replace.
Thy said it'd get worse going into 2024 smh

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
PCF are good guys so condolences but 30 isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I'm sure they were all useless, didn't work, and that the people there now will not have increased workloads.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I'm sure they were all useless, didn't work, and that the people there now will not have increased workloads.
The worst is that this is entirely possible that a good portion of them were.

I work in tech, I know this for sure.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
The worst is that this is entirely possible that a good portion of them were.

I work in tech, I know this for sure.
Yes, a good portion, absolutely, I believe you. I also work in tech by the way, and usually those that say others are useless are the ones that have absolutely no work ethic. Just my experience, of course :)

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Old Gamer

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yes, a good portion, absolutely, I believe you. I also work in tech by the way, and usually those that say others are useless are the ones that have absolutely no work ethic. Just my experience, of course :)
Nah, I get my stuff done on time... But I'm the sole member of my department and I get to interact with many people in what was a 100 employee company. They let go around 40 last year (after an acquisition). I worked with these people, in two different teams, they lied about the status of their projects, were late and couldn't provide basic information when asked.

So, they were let go and everyone has less work because we don't have to manage them as well as doing our stuff and their work wasn't as much as it seemed to be.

I know other people who have their job to fill a seat due fill some contractual obligation, are in between assignments for months or some stupid law requirement, these people have minimal work for weeks or months at a time (when they have any)... The paycheck makes no sense.

You also had videos from some of the ex Twitter staff before Elon took over that exemplified this at an extreme level (I've never seen this bad, but it seems to exist).