'Kotaku' is hit by layoffs

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
kotaku_banner.png

G/O Media has conducted layoffs across the company and its publications, including the gaming site Kotaku. As reported by Adweek, the decision has resulted in 23 redundancies across G/O Media sites and the shuddering of women's cultural outlet Jezebel after 16 years.

CEO Jim Spanfeller notified G/O Media staff of the decision earlier today; the exact number of employees affected at Kotaku is unknown.

While G/O Media is a lean, nimble organization, we are not immune to the economic headwinds rattling our business

Additionally, Adweek added that G/O Media editorial director Merrill Brown was dismissed days before the new job cuts. He was hired back in January of this year.

The news of layoffs at Kotaku came a month after the site gained Jen Glennon as its new editor-in-chief.

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Traditional gaming media is dying. We see it every day.
The mad thing is that people studied and even went on to get masters and stuff to get jobs like these and they are just not viable.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: John Elden Ring

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
The mad thing is that people studied and even went on to get masters and stuff to get jobs like these and they are just not viable.

tbh I just never thought they were. Like yeah we got YouTubers replacing it but I don’t view them as a suitable replacement they’re worse in some regards and can be denied review copies if they didn’t favor a game Just like a journalist can and can be just as ignorant about it. Just all around not a good solution IMO.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Their degree are fucking useless. They have no skills, no talents. Just hacks.

The only job they are equipped for is fast food chains.

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
When they release articles with CGI images of underage kids nude, expect all the bad Karma to go with it. It's awful generally when someone loses their job but fuck that fucking disgusting trashbag of a site.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Random kids in Pakistan are thriving just posting their thoughts about video games on X. The landscape has completely changed in the last decade. I look up the top writers on socials and aside from literally two, they are all irrelevant and no one cares what they have to say.

Personally, I love it.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Nym

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
Never heard about that
The original writer of Goodbye Volcano High used to write for Kotaku and wrote an article about sex and the images used were Misty from Pokemon and another photo using the cgi model of the girl who played Hermoine in Harry Potter having sex with another underage model (using game assets). The article was removed and reentered with no photos, she was fired from Kotaku. Jason Schreier was on leave and never mentioned it, Stephen Tortillo of Axiom was the editor at the time and should have been punished for his part in it and finally Goodbye Volcano High was delayed to remove the paedophile enthusiast's writing as to not completely destroy that game.

I fucking wish I was joking about the above. CGI models of underage real people fucking. Sick puppies at Kotaku.

• Surprised
Reactions: Would_you_kindly