Larian CEO says developing for Series S is a challenge (Baldur's Gate 3)

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
He tried to keep it as professional as possible, but pretty much said that the Series S is holding things back in a roundabout way. I hope this means developers ignore Xbox and focus solely on PlayStation going forward. Xbox can get a port later, but no reason why PlayStation owners should suffer because of Microsoft's greed and incompetence.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Weird that they're releasing first on PC which is known to have rampant piracy, and barely anyone owns a PC anyway

OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
There's an article about it too:

It frames what he says in a neutral manner, but the fact that the title doesn't have a release date for XBox yet tells its own story.
That title is fake, idk how they came to that conclusion. He pretty much said the Series S is holding things back in the most polite way possible. The fact that Microsoft had to send their own engineers speaks volumes.

Reactions: Kokoloko
OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Weird that they're releasing first on PC which is known to have rampant piracy, and barely anyone owns a PC anyway
it's been released on pc....for nearly 3 years lol. I know you're trolling obviously but Larian has always been a PC first studio

Reactions: Nhomnhom

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
That title is fake, idk how they came to that conclusion. He pretty much said the Series S is holding things back in the most polite way possible. The fact that Microsoft had to send their own engineers speaks volumes.

I agree with you which is why I pointed out that the game doesn't have a release date on XBox whereas the PS version does. It's evident there's some problems with the Series S version and there's going to be compromises because of that. He also brings up the the majority of sales for XBox are the Series S and MS won't relent on their policy surrounding it. He sounds like he's trying to be as tactful as possible, but has run into some serious issues with achieving parity between the X and S versions. To the surprise of no one, I might add.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
JAHGamer

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
I agree with you which is why I pointed out that the game doesn't have a release date on XBox whereas the PS version does. It's evident there's some problems with the Series S version and there's going to be compromises because of that. He also brings up the the majority of sales for XBox are the Series S and MS won't relent on their policy surrounding it. He sounds like he's trying to be as tactful as possible, but has run into some serious issues with achieving parity between the X and S versions. To the surprise of no one, I might add
Yea my bad I'm not saying you disagree, I just meant the article isn't really neutral when it states the complete opposite of his claim. No idea how they watched that interview and came to the conclusion of "Baldur’s Gate 3 Dev Believes Xbox Series S Does Not Hold Back Gaming"

lupumSolitarius

8 Jul 2023
This sort of game usually sells more on PC than on console. The gameplay and UI don't lend themselves well to a console controller button layout. It's very commendable that Larian is having a PS5 release and are working on an Xbox release this close to their PC launch. Usually, console players have to wait at least 1 year.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Yea my bad I'm not saying you disagree, I just meant the article isn't really neutral when it states the complete opposite of his claim. No idea how they watched that interview and came to the conclusion of "Baldur’s Gate 3 Dev Believes Xbox Series S Does Not Hold Back Gaming"

You're right, the author of the article definitely put his own spin on what was said. Sven comes across as a man who's trying very hard not to be offensive, but who's in a difficult situation due to MS' poor decision with the Series S. It's like he's saying: "We're stuck with it so we just have to do the best we can".

Edit: Quoted the wrong post.

Last edited:

MaxParrish

8 Jan 2023
In the end, I think that the article per se is enough correct in what it report, it mostly just the title that is extremely misguiding and it's clearly at odd with what the article is actually reporting...

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
He tried to keep it as professional as possible, but pretty much said that the Series S is holding things back in a roundabout way. I hope this means developers ignore Xbox and focus solely on PlayStation going forward. Xbox can get a port later, but no reason why PlayStation owners should suffer because of Microsoft's greed and incompetence.

"The majority of the people own the Series S"

My God, how can MS suck so much?

17 Jun 2023
Didn’t the devs of BG3 say this multiple times, that’s why it’s not gonna release day and date with PS5?

I believe it it would come to Xbox eventually, though with starfield on the horizon, I don’t think the Xbox community cares.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Did you not realize the guy from the interview almost vomited when the dev said they are having issues with Series S? Of course he won't accept the reality and create his own altenative tittle.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
it's been released on pc....for nearly 3 years lol. I know you're trolling obviously but Larian has always been a PC first studio
The full game releases on PC in 3 days... Agusut 3, 2023.
Before it was an Alpha.

PS5 version was to be released on the same day but it was pushed back to September 6, 2023.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
What would those steps be?
Buying Larian themselves before BG3 released. The early access has already made it obvious for a long time how good the game is.

MS has Obsidian, inXile, Bethesda and now even Playground working on RPGs while Sony doesn't have anything on that genre.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
RPG is mostly a PC centric game genres.

I don't think it matters that much.