Larian Studios Won't Make Baldur's Gate 3 Expansions or BG4.Hasbro Already Considering Next Baldur’s Gate Title Without Larian.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Update 4/19

Hasbro Already Considering Next Baldur’s Gate Title Without Larian

images

The Baldur’s Gate 3 developers have moved on but Hasbro sure hasn’t

Despite the fact that many hoped Larian Studios would continue its work on the critically acclaimed Baldur’s Gate 3, whether it was via DLC or a sequel, the developer announced last month that it would be moving on. During a talk at the Game Developers Conference, Larian CEO Swen Vincke confirmed that the team was not only done with Baldur’s Gate, but the entirety of the Dungeons & Dragons brand and setting, which is helmed by Hasbro. Now we know that D&D’s owner is already entertaining a Baldur’s Gate sequel without the team behind its latest hit.

Speaking to PC Gamer, Hasbro’s Eugene Evans stated that a number of teams have come forward to express interest in developing future titles in the series. “We’re now talking to lots of partners and being approached by a lot of partners who are embracing the challenge of, what does the future of the Baldur’s Gate franchise look like?” Evans doesn’t exactly answer questions like when we should expect a sequel, or what shape it will take, but does seem to all but assure that the company is aware of the astronomical success of Baldur’s Gate 3 and is keen to try and recapture that more quickly than it did the last time.

“So we certainly hope that it’s not another 25 years, as it was from Baldur’s Gate 2 to 3, before we answer that,” Evans continued. “But we’re going to take our time and find the right partner, the right approach, and the right product that could represent the future of Baldur’s Gate.”

The next Baldur’s Gate is a tall order for any studio making an attempt at it. The storied franchise, which has had its fair share of spinoffs, has primarily been worked on by two extremely accomplished RPG developers, Bioware and Larian. After a long time out of the limelight, Larian put the franchise back on the map with one of the most ambitious and intricately made games the industry has ever seen, which was no small feat. According to Larian, the game could only really afford to be so complex and large because of the studio’s unique position as a privately owned company, and because the game was developed in Early Access. This allowed Larian to build the fundamentals and react to feedback from fans without bending to meet the demands of unruly publishers that might’ve steered them away from Baldur’s Gate 3’s obviously winning formula. That method worked so well that Larian is likely to repeat it, even if BG3’s success likely means they don’t have to be as hesitant about their next project.

Of course, the next Baldur’s Gate doesn’t have to follow in the footsteps of its predecessors. Now that the series has proven it can be a mainstream hit, Hasbro will likely greenlight development of a title or two, including some spinoffs, while it considers the best studio to make a proper follow-up to such an expansive RPG. But I guess we won’t know exactly what approach Hasbro takes until they start announcing projects. I’ve barely scratched the surface of the last one, so I should probably start budgeting my time now…

Update 3/23

Baldur's Gate 3 has sold over 15 million copies, Larian announced in a Gamespot podcast:

Swen: It's almost doubled DOS2 now, so it's doing really really well as DOS2 was very successful. So it did beyond what we expected.

Source

New Endings & Cutscenes are coming in future updates:

In an interview with IGN, Vincke teased additional campaign endings, saying that while players are “not going to see massive content changes,” the team is dedicated to delivering on the fan feedback they’ve received since launch. That includes some love for Baldur’s Gate 3’s more villainous players.

“So they're working on the evil endings right now,” he said. “I've seen some of them. They're really evil. So the evil players will be satisfied with that.”

Update 3/22

Larian Studios CEO Swen Vincke - "Also - we’re not done with updating Bg3. There’s still a bunch of stuff coming like mod support and extra cinematics for some of the endings. Just not new content."​

At a Game Developers Conference (GDC) panel today, Larian Studios founder Swen Vincke dropped something of a bombshell by revealing that the developer isn't planning to release any expansions or DLC for Baldur's Gate 3, nor a Baldur's Gate 4.

Instead, Vincke said at the panel, Larian plans to move away from Dungeons & Dragons entirely and do something new, leaving the IP in Wizards of the Coast's hands.

It's a bit of a surprise, considering the massive success of Baldur's Gate 3, with many fans assuming that a DLC or expansion would be on the way. Larian has released several major free patches that have added, among other things, a playable epilogue party.

Developing story...
Also...

Baldur's Gate 3 Dev Is Working Toward An RPG That "Dwarfs" It​

Also...

Larian Started Work on Baldur's Gate 3 DLC, Then Canceled It: 'The Studio Was Elated'​

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Critically acclaimed by gamers and reviewers. You're the minority there bud.
And sold a ton. This is actually bad news for most as I'm sure they want the sequel to come from them. It's like a sequel to Bloodborne not coming from Miyazaki or From

Reactions: Infinity

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Not surprised at their next game not being Baldur's Gate 4.
You can be sure Wizards of the Coast would've wanted more revenue share for a potential sequel.
With BG3 Larian paid for the game's development(with money from Divinity 2 and BG3 early access) AND was responsible for the publishing, so WotC only got the licensing fees.

I am a bit surprised at no meaty DLC/Expansion for the game, as I believe they've sold enough copies to make that a very worthwhile investment, but this project has been their longest yet so maybe they want to move to something different.
That or Larian management wants to remain a mostly 1 game studio and not split resources between projects.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

saltyashell

11 Feb 2024
Damn, that's really a bummer for me. I'm sure another studio will take it up and do a shit job with it and ruin the brand.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Damn, that's really a bummer for me. I'm sure another studio will take it up and do a shit job with it and ruin the brand.

I can understand the reasoning, besides the brand WotC doesn't bring anything to the table and is probably a pretty bad partner to work with, if we're looking at how they've been behaving in general, same with their parent company Hasbro.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Sloane_Ranger

Icon Extra
3 Jul 2023
Looooved BG3! But I am glad they are going a different creative or genre path if that is what they want to do - I am sure whatever they tackle will come with the same level of passion and fun.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I can understand them wanting to move on from this.

How many years did they work on this game? It must have been exhausting.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I can understand them wanting to move on from this.

How many years did they work on this game? It must have been exhausting.
Tht I definitely do understand and ppl like to take on new projects. Look at ND and how they moved on from Uncharted and we got the stellar TLOU :) Guerilla moving on to Horizon and Sucker punch to Ghost of T

Last edited:
Reactions: Sircaw

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
And sold a ton. This is actually bad news for most as I'm sure they want the sequel to come from them. It's like a sequel to Bloodborne not coming from Miyazaki or From
They've got DoS 3 in the works and Divinity:tactics, which was being worked on and not far from release when it was put on the back burner to focus on BG3.

Larian saw it as a great honour to be selected to make BG3. They've done it, and know not to make too much of a good thing.

Plus, more people will try DoS after BG3.

I'm glad they're going to one and done BG3 and move on. I really, really want to play Divinity: Tactics

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Thank god, overrated studio and overrated game
Gona be honest the game does have some really weird stuff going on in there that i dont like...if thats what you dont like...i can understand and agree on...

Other than that....its an excelent game probably some of the best rpg game ive ever seen...

Reactions: xollowsob