Larian Studios Won't Make Baldur's Gate 3 Expansions or BG4.Hasbro Already Considering Next Baldur’s Gate Title Without Larian.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Gona be honest the game does have some really weird stuff going on in there that i dont like...if thats what you dont like...i can understand and agree on...

Other than that....its an excelent game probably some of the best rpg game ive ever seen...
thankfully you can ignore the weird stuff that you don't like because the game doesn't force you, so many people whining because options exist

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Good for them. They must have earned a ton of money with BG3, I'd now use that tech and design base to build their own new IP in the same genre or similar one.

It would give them more creative freedom and agility than having to follow strict rules and getting approvals from someone else's big IP and also would give them the 100% of the money generated by the game.

They became very popular and prestigious with BG3, so they no longer need the popularity of an IP like Baldur's Gate or Dungeons & Dragons, even if it always helps.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Good for them. They must have earned a ton of money with BG3, I'd now use that tech and design base to build their own new IP in the same genre or similar one.

Seems to be the plan, based on the article on this page:

Prior to development on Baldur's Gate 3, Larian CEO Swen Vincke was already planning out the company's future, and this included what he calls "the very big RPG that will dwarf them all."
"I think there is some tech that we don't have yet," Vincke said. "And I don't know what the specs are on the next gen [of gaming systems] yet, but I hope that it's going to bring us closer."

So yeah, the next game after BG3 probably going to be what D:OS1 ---> D:OS2 was.
Mostly refinements and having a smoother development cycle(BG3 took 6 years and that was not initially the plan).

But him and his team will be seemingly waiting for next gen for this supposed "RPG that will dwarf all RPGs".
If I had to guess, my man wants some more CPU power to make all the simulation his heart desires 😂

Reactions: xollowsob
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Larian Started Work on Baldur's Gate 3 DLC, Then Canceled It: 'The Studio Was Elated'​

• fire
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Larian Studios CEO Swen Vincke - "Also - we’re not done with updating Bg3. There’s still a bunch of stuff coming like mod support and extra cinematics for some of the endings. Just not new content."​

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Baldur's Gate 3 has sold over 15 million copies, Larian announced in a Gamespot podcast:

Swen: It's almost doubled DOS2 now, so it's doing really really well as DOS2 was very successful. So it did beyond what we expected.

Source

New Endings & Cutscenes are coming in future updates:

In an interview with IGN, Vincke teased additional campaign endings, saying that while players are “not going to see massive content changes,” the team is dedicated to delivering on the fan feedback they’ve received since launch. That includes some love for Baldur’s Gate 3’s more villainous players.

“So they're working on the evil endings right now,” he said. “I've seen some of them. They're really evil. So the evil players will be satisfied with that.”

Last edited:

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Respect to them, they earned it. It's just a shame so many people shit on the game for the character, romance and tongue-in-cheek beastiality.

I'm not fan of degeneracy but what is an RPG without daft scenarios? Next thing they'll be a call to cancel bearded dwarven women.

• Informative
Reactions: Sircaw

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Respect to them, they earned it. It's just a shame so many people shit on the game for the character, romance and tongue-in-cheek beastiality.

I'm not fan of degeneracy but what is an RPG without daft scenarios? Next thing they'll be a call to cancel bearded dwarven women.
I must have missed all that concern; from what I gathered, it was well received well everywhere.

You are always going to get a fringe bunch of moaners, you can never please everyone.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

~15 million copies for an C-RPG game is a huge number.
did you play the original? Besides graphics etc, how closely does it resemble the old one?

All i remember back then, was people used to go crazy for a game called Icewin Dale.

Last edited:

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
15 million++ in just about 8 months

In 2 year lifetime sales will be over 20 million++

We have arrived to the era where niche crpg game like baldurs gate 3 outsold the usual action shooter fps or open world sandbox game

Welcome to the new future

Last edited:
  • fire

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
15 million++ in just about 8 months

In 2 year lifetime sales will be over 20 million++

We have arrived to the era where niche crpg game like baldurs gate 3 outsold the usual action shooter fps or open world sandbox game

Welcome to the new future
I wouldn't call a game that sold 15 million after selling 7.5 million with their previous game 'niche'.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
I wouldn't call a game that sold 15 million after selling 7.5 million with their previous game 'niche'.
The crpg in general is still considered as niche genre

When baldurs gate 3 won goty last year saw lots of disrespectull comments from presumably millenials and gen z and the game still getting dissed alot despite winning goty comments like

" who plays this top down game"

"turn based game are shit"

"Only nerds and boomer play this game"

"Spiderman 2 or Resident Evil 4 Remake shouldve won"

"Spiderman 2 lost to this mobile game💀"

"Slow ass game boring "

"What the hell you wait for turns in this game "

Shows the genre is still isnt widely popular and the younger audience arent exactly familiar with this type of game...well at least until now when baldurs gate 3 put the genre into new heights..

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
The crpg in general is still considered as niche genre

When baldurs gate 3 won goty last year saw lots of disrespectull comments from presumably millenials and gen z and the game still getting dissed alot despite winning goty comments like

" who plays this top down game"

"turn based game are shit"

"Only nerds and boomer play this game"

"Spiderman 2 or Resident Evil 4 Remake shouldve won"

"Spiderman 2 lost to this mobile game💀"

"Slow ass game boring "

"What the hell you wait for turns in this game "

Shows the genre is still isnt widely popular and the younger audience arent exactly familiar with this type of game...well at least until now when baldurs gate 3 put the genre into new heights..

I missed all of this too.

All I see are either people who absolutely adore the game or people who kind of regret not enjoying the genre.

Reactions: Airbus