Layoffs at Riot Games

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Riot Games is making layoffs, which started earlier today, multiple people have told me.
Size and scope are unclear at the moment, so far I've heard of effects across recruiting & human resources, support and esports. Will do more reporting in the morning for the newsletter.

Riot's historically not made many reductions in force in the past, but it's in line with a broader trend in tech, gaming and entertainment as economic hardship begins to affect many corporations.

• Informative
Reactions: laynelane

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
What's happening in tech is pure corporate greed. Companies are still profitable, they still invest, but they use times of market slowdown to fire people so that the ones that remain pick up the slack. They still expect the same amount of work to be done, just at a lower cost.

Anybody that works in a tech company right now and has a brain knows this is the case. I've seen whole departments with excellent employees be completely dismantled and other adjacent departments already under staffed having to pick up the slack.

The short sightedness on companies fighting for short term gains is ridiculous. They usually end up fucking up more their long term gains.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Fuck all of these corporations, making billions in profits then cutting off the hand that feeds.

Many have to cut. The recession and inflation is ruining more people’s livelihoods with each passing day. Riot was in a growth phase for a long run over the last few years. If they’re scaling back it may also be out of the need to survive. Not all companies are as guilty as big pharma and energy to squeeze people all the time ya know. Then again I have money in big tech right now and yea it’s a shitshow. I wish I didn’t .

It’s also indicative of their current success. Is Sony not growing? 7 major departures from Riot (including Valorant’s creator) In the last few months were to Bungie… to Sony.

Playing devil’s advocate here. But some decisions are made so they can still be able to create games for you in the future.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Many have to cut. The recession and inflation is ruining more people’s livelihoods with each passing day. Riot was in a growth phase for a long run over the last few years. If they’re scaling back it may also be out of the need to survive. Not all companies are as guilty as big pharma and energy to squeeze people all the time ya know. Then again I have money in big tech right now and yea it’s a shitshow. I wish I didn’t .

It’s also indicative of their current success. Is Sony not growing? 7 major departures from Riot (including Valorant’s creator) In the last few months were to Bungie… to Sony.

Playing devil’s advocate here. But some decisions are made so they can still be able to create games for you in the future.

Id like to know if Sony makes any cuts. They cut 90 positions not in gaming last year. I wonder if them raising prices for consoles will reflect?

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Id like to know if Sony makes any cuts. They cut 90 positions not in gaming last year. I wonder if them raising prices for consoles will reflect?

I don’t expect Sony to make any more major cuts to gaming at the moment. They got rid of weaker parts years ago. And the PS5 and their studios have been delivering hugely.

They already increased games to 70$. People were hating on Sony being “greedy” but if it keeps their studios and their employees healthy and happy — that’ll probably mean its consumers will be rewarded.

Maybe be Jim Ryan should actually be celebrated 🤣

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I don’t expect Sony to make any more major cuts to gaming at the moment. They got rid of weaker parts years ago. And the PS5 and their studios have been delivering hugely.

They already increased games to 70$. People were hating on Sony being “greedy” but if it keeps their studios and their employees healthy and happy — that’ll probably mean its consumers will be rewarded.

Maybe be Jim Ryan should actually be celebrated 🤣
Playstation is hiring, Bungie, Insomniac, even BluePoint.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Fuck all of these corporations, making billions in profits then cutting off the hand that feeds.
only a handful gaming companies make billions in profits....

sony when?

(continues from above) ... and Sony is one of them, so won't make layoffs. Sony is instead hiring to grow in basically all their studios instead.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022

(continues from above) ... and Sony is one of them, so won't make layoffs. Sony is instead hiring to grow in basically all their studios instead.
hope you are right.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Riot games made over 1.5 billion dollars last year on League of Legends alone. They are not some starving artist.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
its seems inevitable.

People come and go all the time, we don't hear about them more often because most of those positions are 3 to 6 month contracts so they are just not renewed, the recent string of things are coming in news because these are (supposedly) permanent positions that are being laid off so it's a more noteworthy thing, I suppose.

I've also been in a few positions where contracts were not renewed, and also where after a contract term I was offered a full time position. So, its inevitable but it unfortunately is a reality of the tech industry.