LEAK: PS5 Pro has no trouble running games at 120fps on Performance modes

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
100fps+ without utilizing PSSR, this is crazy 🤯 the new standard for consoles will be Fidelity 60fps and Performance 120fps
if they don't use PSSR but they changed nothing else it means the game run with whatever settings they had before (checkerboard rendering, native resolution, etc.).

Still, many games with an unlocked frame rate option will greatly benefit from this.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
How sway?
120fps is the number of frames the console (or other device) may run the game.

120hz is the output at the which the machine sends the signal (120 times per second)... you can have a game that runs at more or less frame per second than the refresh rate of the TV, that will cause screen tearing if you don't have a VRR TV (it's more complicated, but I will stop it there... for the technically enclined I know what vsync and frame rate caps are).

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
120fps is the number of frames the console (or other device) may run the game.

120hz is the output at the which the machine sends the signal (120 times per second)... you can have a game that runs at more or less frame per second than the refresh rate of the TV, that will cause screen tearing if you don't have a VRR TV (it's more complicated, but I will stop it there... for the technically enclined I know what vsync and frame rate caps are).
A very good example is the 40fps modes. They output at 120hz

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Cherry picked footage. Let's see how it runs in the city.

Check out the Dragons Dogma bit; he talks about the city and says it feels very stable somewhere in the 50s.

Either way, it's a massive improvement for the base.

Reactions: Bryank75

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Yet we will still hear how consoles are shit and games are running at 30fps… while it’s like 2 games lol

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
How sway?
A game can run 120fps but on a 60hz monitor the refresh rate cant keep up, so you won't get the same smoothness as on a monitor that does support 120hz.

Basically your 120fps are displayed at half the refreshrate. So an fps counter can show 120fps, but you wont notice the difference between 120 and 60 if you're on a 60hz refresh rate monitor.

You'll get tearing, V-sync oddities etc, etc. Basically it does more harm then good. ALWAYS set your fps according to your monitors refreshrate.

Other way round isnt an issue. If your monitor is set to 120hz and gaming on 60 fps, then its fine.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: quest4441

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
A game can run 120fps but on a 60hz monitor the refresh rate cant keep up, so you won't get the same smoothness as on a monitor that does support 120hz.

Basically your 120fps are displayed at half the refreshrate. So an fps counter can show 120fps, but you wont notice the difference between 120 and 60 if you're on a 60hz refresh rate monitor.

You'll get tearing, V-sync oddities etc, etc. Basically it does more harm then good. ALWAYS set your fps according to your monitors refreshrate.

Other way round isnt an issue. If your monitor is set to 120hz and gaming on 60 fps, then its fine.
If you have a 120hz display you're good for 120fps games. Who's dumb enough to try to get 120fps on a 60hz display?

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
If you have a 120hz display you're good for 120fps games. Who's dumb enough to try to get 120fps on a 60hz display?
Believe me there is 1. Spyxos from here is an example. He's my gaming buddy but still has a peasant monitor.
And its not useless. You can still use your fps counter as a performance indicator. That's why he plays 60+ fps I think.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
And its not useless. You can still use your fps counter as a performance indicator. That's why he plays 60+ fps I think.

🤯

That is the definition of useless.

But it is impossible to understand PC guys... console gamers wants less info the screen taking their focus from the game... close to no hub while playing is ideal.
While PC players wants more and more info on screen... doesn't matter if it takes half of the game screen.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No its not? For performance geeks it's prime performance info (unless you set it to a fixed fps like me). Regardless of external devices used. Is it ideal? No.
So why he play games? Just do benchmarks.
If performance is more important than the game then I should not call him a gamer at all.

Like I said... PC players have some weird mentalities that consoles players can't understand.

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
So why he play games? Just do benchmarks.
If performance is more important than the game then I should not call him a gamer at all.

Like I said... PC players have some weird mentalities that consoles players can't understand.
Oh it's clear you don't understand. Believe me! :D

But calling it a weird mentality just because it doesn't fit your hobby is a BIT asinine don't you think?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Oh it's clear you don't understand. Believe me! :D

But calling it a weird mentality just because it doesn't fit your hobby is a BIT asinine don't you think?
I can only talk about myself... it is indeed weird to me... and I think others consoles players (and maybe some PC players) thinks the same.
That doesn't mean I'm again what he is doing... whatever he wants to do and fells joy is up to him.

I have no issue with people saying how I do some things is weird either... it is how I do it and for others it is really weird.
And I don't think calling what you think is weird... weird is asinine at all.