Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth Had Highest Physical Pre-Orders in Franchise History

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

1706401836123.png

Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth Had Highest Physical Pre-Orders in Franchise History​

The Japanese outlet 4Gamer recently interviewed Masayoshi Yokoyama, Hiroyuki Sakamoto, and Ryōsuke Horii from RGG Studio about the recently released Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth. Several facets are discussed, notably regarding the process of the game’s development being interfered with by the pandemic and how the physical pre-orders for Infinite Wealth were the highest in the series.

Yokoyama: Especially in Japan, we are doing well. Nowadays, there are both physical and digital versions, so it is difficult to compare the numbers with past titles, but in terms of the number of pre-orders for the physical copy, it is the highest in the series’ history. I can say this now: at the time of Yakuza: Like a Dragon, the number of pre-orders for the physical version was incredibly small.

4Gamer: You said that the percentage of digital versions* was the highest ever once before, right?

Yokoyama: Yes. The main character [no longer being Kiryu] and the change in the system to an RPG had a big impact on us. I still feel anxious about the time from 2019 to the beginning of 2020. But when we opened the door, we found that the market stock had dwindled to almost zero by the morning of the release date, and our salespeople who had received additional orders were fighting over the stock. For our part, we were like, “You’re seeing that, right? (laugh)”

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I doubt it's the same in America. The whole marketing was Xbox only, they can't even show the PS logo and we all know Xbox don't buy any physical.

The marketing for Atlus and Sega in Japan is different, they are allowed to have all the platforms.

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
Highest numbers of PHYSICAL pre-orders in Japan(meaning PlayStation).
Highest franchise launch CCUs on Steam(42,906) by more than triple the next game(LaD Gaiden at 13,737).
It may even rise a little bit higher on Sunday.

What a recovery and growth this series has had from Yakuza 0 onwards, both within and outside of Japan.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Highest numbers of PHYSICAL pre-orders in Japan(meaning PlayStation).
Highest franchise launch CCUs on Steam(42,906) by more than triple the next game(LaD Gaiden at 13,737).
It may even rise a little bit higher on Sunday.

What a recovery and growth this series has had from Yakuza 0 onwards, both within and outside of Japan.
Even the highest ever of 43k is very low for a big AAA release.

• Shake
Reactions: PS_ROCKS

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Had this preordered for months, wish there was a steelbook though. Makes no sense why the least popular/successful Yakuza game, Ishin, got a steelbook but Gaiden and Infinite Wealth didn't. Regardless, Infinite Wealth is a lock 🔒 for GOTY (for me) 😁😎
Kind of interesting that the majority of the reviews of this game were for the Playstation version despite being heavily marketed with Xbox.
Could also mean that Sega gave out more Playstation review codes than Xbox ones.
Reviewers/outlets request which platform they want a code for, and no matter how much Xbox tries to align themselves with Persona and Yakuza, they'll always be known as PlayStation games. That's what decades of organic growth does, something Xbox's pathetic and desperate moneyhatting and astroturfing will never be able to accomplish in a million years.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
I see an ad for this shit, but marketed for PS for some reasons, consider people talking so much about its "marketing" here

Lmao Sega walking on two ropes. Fuck off.

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
I preordered. Despite the DLC negativity, it only cost me $59 USD, so if I have to pay for DLC it's still less than $70.

As to CCUs, pretty interesting that it's a fairly low selling game yet the quality is leagues beyond AAA western games that are buggy messes. Just goes to show the market has bad taste in general.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I preordered. Despite the DLC negativity, it only cost me $59 USD, so if I have to pay for DLC it's still less than $70.

As to CCUs, pretty interesting that it's a fairly low selling game yet the quality is leagues beyond AAA western games that are buggy messes. Just goes to show the market has bad taste in general.
Im sure itll be hours and hours of fun, well worth it.

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
This is my first Yakuza game. I am enjoying the game's humor, quirky characters, and combat mechanics. I’m all in now!

Reactions: Gamernyc78