• Xbox One (Feb 21, 2023)
Trailers:

Developer: Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio

Publisher: SEGA

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 82 average - 86% recommended - 14 reviews

Critic Reviews

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 8 / 10
Like A Dragon: Ishin! has a bit of ironing out to do before it becomes the amazing game it deserves to be. Players may notice it is the least polished game in the series in some time, and be tested by a slow start to the narrative and rolling out of mechanics to engage in chaotic fun. It's worth sticking it out though. It's one of the better stories to come from the franchise, with gripping inner and political conflict, where steel collides and wounds (both physical and emotional) cut deep. Kyoto too is home to some of the better instances of minigames and sub-stories, getting good mileage out of its feudal Japan setting. Living out your samurai life is palpable and thoroughly enjoyable as you cut down anyone who stands in your way in engaging combat. Like A Dragon: Ishin! may not be an all-timer for the series, but it's definitely the title with the best vibes.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 8.5 / 10
While it isn’t the best playing game in the Yakuza series, Ishin remains a a great title and an essential experience for fans.

Console Creatures - Bobby Pashalidis - Recommended
Like a Dragon Ishin! remixes and reintroduces familiar fan favourites in a period piece well worth your time.

Eurogamer - Alan Wen - No Recommendation
The long overdue samurai spin-off is classic Yakuza under its period dressing but also underwhelming as a current-gen remake.

GGRecon - Dave McAdam - 4 / 5
The love and charm of the Like a Dragon franchise is at the core of Ishin!, a fact alone that makes this one of the best games you will play this year.

Gaming Nexus - Henry Yu - 8.8 / 10
It's been nearly a decade since Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin! released exclusively in Japan, but RGG Studio has finally brought it over to the West in the form of Like a Dragon: Ishin!, and it does not disappoint. Not only does Ishin! touch upon an important part of Japanese history, it does so by excellently balancing ridiculously fun over-the-top action with engrossing narrative pacing and mature character development. It doesn't quite meet the bar of a full on remake though, so that's something worth considering.

PSX Brasil - Isabella Alves - Portuguese - 85 / 100
With a great story, charismatic characters, fluid and fun combat and a gameplay that is the hallmark of the franchise, Like a Dragon: Ishin! is the remake fans wanted so badly. Even with small bugs, Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio shows, once again, that the series' formula is far from boring and makes us anxious about what will come ahead.

Saving Content - Ed Acosta - 4 / 5
Outside of the time period, Like a Dragon: Ishin! is a cut-and-dry copy of any other Like a Dragon title before it. Luckily, that is an entertaining formula. If you found those other titles a chore, stay away from Ishin! Although the ancient Japanese setting might be enough for you.

Shacknews - Nick Tan - 8 / 10
Quote not yet available

Siliconera - Graham Russell - 8 / 10
At its best when its focus is divided, Like a Dragon: Ishin! is a fun Bakumatsu sandbox. It doesn't have the engrossing standout minigame like the cabaret or business management challenges of previous titles, and its time period means it also doesn't pack a fun arcade. But its jack-of-all-trades approach still resonates.

WellPlayed - Nathan Hennessy - 7.5 / 10
Fans won't want to miss this recontextualised yet authentic Yakuza brawler. Hopefully, newcomers attracted to the theme can forgive some poorly aged systems and jank.

WhatIfGaming - Rizwan Anwer - 9 / 10
I had a fantastic time with Like a Dragon: Ishin, and it’s a worthy addition to the Yakuza series lineup. Like other modern Yakuza titles, this release is filled to the brim with enjoyable content, memorable characters, and an addictive combat system with tons of variety. The character work is fantastic, and the series’ invaluable skill to switch between serious and hilarious tones is present here as well, with some of the best moments in the franchise.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 8.5 / 10
Like A Dragon: Ishin! is Ye Olde Yakuza, but that's all it needs to be. The setting is fresh for the series, and it provides a fun way to see the same crime drama action in a new historical setting. Even if I prefer the modern setting, Ishin handles the change of setting well. It doesn't break an molds, but it's a delightfully fun experience for fans of the franchise. If you're itching for more Like A Dragon, Ishin! scratches that itch wonderfully, and it's a darn fun game in its own right.

XboxEra - harm0nica - 9 / 10
For fans and newcomers alike, this game is a triumph and needs to be experienced. PLAY THIS GAME.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Been playing this, it's a great game as you'd expect. Being back to the brawler roots after the JRPG game makes it easier to get into with minimal grinding.

The tradition of the wacky/zany side content continues amazingly well even in the 18th century setting.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I have to admire the idiocy of SEGA. They get to a point where the Yakuza series is selling in big numbers in the west, so they rename the series. Marketing genius at work.
Agree. Yakuza sounded way more interesting.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I have to admire the idiocy of SEGA. They get to a point where the Yakuza series is selling in big numbers in the west, so they rename the series. Marketing genius at work.
That is a remaking of the spin-off Yakuza Ishin.
There are new new mainline Yakuza games to come.
But I understand they could have left the Yakuza name at least in the title.

I believe the Japanese names are related yet… just west did that weird change.

Last edited:

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
I caved and bought it at full price.

I'm enjoying this entry a lot. I had the japanese-only PS4 version, and suffered through it for about 10 hours before i gave up.

Finally being able to play it without a guide is a blessing. it's different enough from all the others to keep it fresh, even if you've played a few of these before.

• fire
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The reviews are awesome but there's so many of these games it's overwhelming (I literally have them all on multiple platforms + the judgments)

I must have 6 of them that I started and didn't finish yet.

Reactions: Vertigo

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The reviews are awesome but there's so many of these games it's overwhelming (I literally have them all on multiple platforms + the judgments)

I must have 6 of them that I started and didn't finish yet.
Start with Kiwami and go through to 5, then 0, then 6.

Or just play Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise or Judgment.

• Surprised
Reactions: Gods&Monsters